MovieBob: Intermission: Oh, Behave!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Oh, Behave!

MovieBob's 8 commandments for movie theater etiquette.

Read Full Article

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Translation of all eight: Use Common Sense and Remember There Are Other People in the World Besides You (and Your Immediate Circle).

Shame that people have to be told that.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
This is why I prefer sitting at the last row of seats in the back, so any voices that are being spoken in the theater are usually in front of me and emitted away from my position, so they aren't as audible. I honestly HATE those people who quote things MST3K-style during the film. WAIT UNTIL YOU PURCHASE THE MOVIE AND WATCH IT AT HOME.

Surprisingly, I've never seen anybody whip out a phone or drag their infant along. Though I can feel the pain on that one.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Oh, Behave!

MovieBob's 8 commandments for movie theater etiquette.

Read Full Article
As a teacher: Hey, man, it pisses us off just as much that we're not allowed to teach them manners. In fact, I still try every day.

We just don't have them anymore. We're such an egotistical culture now. No one else has feelings that we should consider, and only the us-oriented consequences of our actions matter in the least.

We can't legislate empathy. Unfortunately.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
I honestly HATE those people who quote things MST3K-style during the film. WAIT UNTIL YOU PURCHASE THE MOVIE AND WATCH IT AT HOME.
I'll note that this was not one of Bob's rules, and for good reason: sometimes the snark is the proper reaction to what's on film. Not always, but sometimes it is.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
These rules are the exact reason the Alamo Draft House is THE best movie theater to ever grace this planet of ours. It's in Austin Texas they serve beer, don't have ads before the movie (besides trailers) and don't tolerate ANY shit. Unaccompanied minors aren't allowed and neither are any children under six years old. Talking, texting or otherwise being a dick? You are thrown out. No warning no refund just shown the door and given the management's best wishes that it doesn't hit you in the ass on your way out of it. There really should be more theaters like The Alamo Drafthouse.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
a couple of caveats from a parent.

I can't afford a babysitter because i just moved to town and don't know any of the neighborhood teenagers willing to do it well enough to trust them with my child for any conceivable length of time. Pro sitters cost like $100 and a movie ticket for Captain America costs a tenth of that. Plus it was like three weeks after the movie had come out and it wasn't a 3D showing anyway. There were like 3 other people in the theater besides me. Rule 6 in this case does not apply. Also went in the middle of the afternoon when the baby was napping.

Rule 7 does not apply when it is a kid-centric/targeted movie. Although still not a great idea to let them role around and play on the floor.

ALSO YOU FORGOT THE GOLDEN RULE OF THE THEATER; BE QUIET!

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater." - Shepard Book.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Could not agree more with number 6, its right up there alongside babies on buses, babies on train, babies ON PLANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, babies in supermarkets, babies in retaurants, (parants and) babies visiting my flat..........fuck it, I hate babies.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
I don't laugh at scary parts to be ironic or annoying. I laugh at scary or tense parts because it's my natural reaction to fear and stress. Which is why I have a MASSIVE fear of needles, but laugh when I get blood drawn or get vaccinated. But, that's why I don't go to scary movies. I know how I'd react, and I don't want to interfere with the enjoyment of others.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
No sorry incoming trailers and ads are prime for ribbing,ripping and mst2king, sorry the ads must go if I am to remain silent.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
krellen said:
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
I honestly HATE those people who quote things MST3K-style during the film. WAIT UNTIL YOU PURCHASE THE MOVIE AND WATCH IT AT HOME.
I'll note that this was not one of Bob's rules, and for good reason: sometimes the snark is the proper reaction to what's on film. Not always, but sometimes it is.
No it isn't. The only time it's acceptable is if you're at home.

If you make some snarky remark at a movie you think is bad, people might laugh. Or they might not. They also might become upset. Maybe they actually like the movie and you're ruining the experience for them; just because you think a movie is objectively bad doesn't mean someone else in the theater isn't enjoying it. Is it really worth it? (And if you say "yes," you're selfish.)

If you have some totally hilarious bit of snark you need to add to a movie, just remember it and post it on Facebook later.

coogs42

Oct 10, 2010
Bob, I completely agree with you. I think though that UK film critic Mark Kermode covered these issues better in his Code of Conduct. In fact he even streamlined it and included some points you didn't (such as the kicking of seats. All included in this handy print out sheet. http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.jpg Also, the issue of phones is why I love the ideals of the Alamo Drafthouse, if you talk, you leave, period. This is one of the issues I feel most strongly about and I get so annoyed when people talk during films. In fact, I think Book from Firefly said it best. People who talk in the cinema/theatre/whatever go to a special level of Hell alongside child molesters. Words of wisdom.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
To address #6, some local theatres here had "Movies for Mommies", usually early afternoon matinees where parents were encouraged to bring their infant children. Because as my librarian colleagues can attest, one thing new mothers crave is to get the hell out of the house once in a while.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Not most trouble, but most often, the problem I have is with younger teenagers. They yell, talk, laugh kick the seat behind you etc. I still haven't found a solution which would be quick enough so I get to watch the rest of the movie.
I think the key is to intimidate, but I'm waiting for a movie that I find boring and won't be sorry to miss.

rayen020 said:
I can't afford a babysitter because i just moved to town and don't know any of the neighborhood teenagers willing to do it well enough to trust them with my child for any conceivable length of time. Pro sitters cost like $100 and a movie ticket for Captain America costs a tenth of that. Plus it was like three weeks after the movie had come out and it wasn't a 3D showing anyway. There were like 3 other people in the theater besides me. Rule 6 in this case does not apply. Also went in the middle of the afternoon when the baby was napping.
Ok, you're really nitpicking, how often do you move to a new town, have absolutley noone to watch the baby and you go to a showing where there's not a lot of people? You're really an exemption rather than the target of this rule.

But in genereal, unless you look at it from the point of view of others, then none of these rules apply, why not comment of the movie if you find it boring or silly, why not text while the movie is on, there's no other reason than that it bothers everybody else.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I'm sort of on the fence about the texting thing. I get that for the actual movie, you'd want to put your phone away. But for the previews, what if you are meeting with people who are wondering where you are at? They are trying to get to your theater or something? I think we can be allowed to text them locations or what's up or whatever. Especially if you turn the backlight down a lot.

Furthermore, what about emergency situations? Not emergencies for ME, but for other people who desire my advice or help? Like say there is a computer problem and their homework is due that same night. I think being allowed to step out and take a call is acceptable there.

I'm not saying phones are okay, but I think we should try to find a point of compromise for both sides here.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Windu23 said:
I don't laugh at scary parts to be ironic or annoying. I laugh at scary or tense parts because it's my natural reaction to fear and stress. Which is why I have a MASSIVE fear of needles, but laugh when I get blood drawn or get vaccinated. But, that's why I don't go to scary movies. I know how I'd react, and I don't want to interfere with the enjoyment of others.
I react to laughter in bad scary movies due to questionable plot or really poorly done characters or, hell, a plot twist that is just god awful. Of course, if someone dies in a weird way, then I suppose I'll laugh at that too. A good scary movie, like say, Pandorum, will not make me laugh because it did a good job in being authentically scary all the way through.