British Politician Calls for Parliamentary Debate on Videogames

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
British Politician Calls for Parliamentary Debate on Videogames

Serial game-worrier Keith Vaz MP would like the British Parliament to hold a pre-Christmas debate about children and videogames.

Keith Vaz, Labour MP for East Leicester, has called for Parliament [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96010-U-K-Parliament-Debates-Modern-Warfare-2] to hold a proper debate on games because parents might be considering buying them as Christmas presents for children.

Addressing the House of Commons, Vaz said, "At a time when parents are thinking of purchasing video games for Christmas, does the Right Hon. Gentleman not think that it is important to hold a debate on this matter?"

To ensure clarity, he added, "This is not about censorship - it is about protecting our children."

Vaz supported his motion with research from the University of Indiana which suggested that violent videogames increase activity in certain parts of the player's brain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114382-U-K-Tabloid-Plays-the-Videogames-Cause-Violence-Card-Again], parts which some claim are connected to violent behavior. The report was an opportunity for much in the way of anti-games hyperbole but had little real impact.

Sir George Young, Leader of the House of Commons, responded to Vaz's appeal by saying, "I am grateful to the Right Hon. Gentleman, and I know that this is an issue that he has pursued with vigor for some time. I cannot promise a debate next week...but in the meantime I will draw his concern to the attention of the Home Secretary." (My British Parliament-speak isn't as good as it used to be, but as far as I can tell, that's a really, really polite "probably not").

As is well known, the UK has a fairly well-built age restriction policy in place for the purchase of games. If Vaz wants this debate to better educate parents on which games are suitable for their children (bearing in mind the age restriction advice which appears on all games and the law used to enforce those restrictions) then good luck to him. But if he's only out to try and further prove that there's some kind of link between games and aggressive behavior, then prepare yourselves, British readers, for yet more eye-rolling, link-finding and hilarious Daily Mail headlines.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-09-keith-vaz-pushes-parliament-to-debate-gamings-harmful-effects]

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
Based on his theory I'm currently going to into the city and beating the hell out of the local crime syndicate because I was bought Streets of Rage as a child.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
I don't understand what all the hate is for video games.
Religions are violent.
Books are violent.
Music is violent.
Art is violent.
Film/Television is violent.

Why is it that everyone wants to pony up on games? Makes no sense. I will be glad in 10 -15 years half these people will be dead and we won't have to deal with their bullshit anymore. Than maybe we can move on to hating something else, probably hologram sex sims or something newage like that.

arkwright

Apr 1, 2009
Keith Vaz is a moron and to put as politely as possible he wants to fuck off.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
IceStar100 said:
Hey I been playing batman alot. Before you know it I'll be a Vigilante.
Or you'll go around wearing a catsuit with a plunging neckline and robbing people with a whip.

Dec 14, 2009
arkwright said:
Keith Vaz is a moron and to put as politely as possible he wants to fuck off.
I read that in Arkwright's voice.

Stutters and all.

Well done.

OT: The man's a prat.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
If I were a British citizen living in his riding I'd be writing to him asking him to stop trying to waste tax payer money on a silly debate and deal with some issues that are actually important, and proven problems, instead.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
IceStar100 said:
Or you'll go around wearing a catsuit with a plunging neckline and robbing people with a whip.
Uh...yeah. That's what I have the whip for...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
There's a number on the fucking box showing an age limit, and studies have proven that retailers are, for the most part, very good at enforcing age ratings.

END OF THE FUCKING PROBLEM.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Hevva said:
To ensure clarity, he added, "This is not about censorship - it is about protecting our children."
That's a real politician's comment, clarity through vague self contradictory statements. It's protecting children BY sensoring, you idiot.

Besides, no one is being protected. Look at what happens when you restrict drink and drugs... which demographic are the first to abuse those substances? The young, because they are told they can't have them. Do the maths.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Hows about instead of bickering over games they debate the fact that they are opposing the current Economic plan for the Euro zone? Is this seriously something that must be discussed right now?

Hows about Parliament gets together and discusses the current economic affairs of the Euro zone, then give some BS accusation of how in some way video games are linked to fucking terrorist attacks.

What the fuck is going through his head right now to call to such a minor issue when there is much more disastrous matters to attend to. I'm not to keen on British politics, granted, but I am sure they have bigger things to debate other than "Video games might hurt our kids!!!!".

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Woodsey said:
There's a number on the fucking box showing an age limit, and studies have proven that retailers are, for the most part, very good at enforcing age ratings.

END OF THE FUCKING PROBLEM.
Pretty much. What is there to discuss? If he's truthful about this being about children there is already a system in place saying that children shouldn't be playing those games in the first place. Problem solved.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Oh good, it would seem that the British people have solved all of lives problems, such as crime, decease, lack of jobs and all that kind of stuff.

......... What?

No you say? Huh... then why does this guy want to go after video games?
Those are some odd priorities.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hevva said:
Keith Vaz MP
And I can stop reading here. Especially after the last Escapist article on Vaz. The guy didn't even have the common decency to send me a template-reply to my e-mail after the MW3 thing.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
robert01 said:
I don't understand what all the hate is for video games.
Religions are violent.
Books are violent.
Music is violent.
Art is violent.
Film/Television is violent.

Why is it that everyone wants to pony up on games? Makes no sense. I will be glad in 10 -15 years half these people will be dead and we won't have to deal with their bullshit anymore. Than maybe we can move on to hating something else, probably hologram sex sims or something newage like that.
True dat and hell a majority of people are waiting for those said hologram sex sims. That most likely our kids / grandkids are gonna put us unto debt because they hack our credit accounts so they can get upgrades to their holo-system.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Scars Unseen said:
IceStar100 said:
Uh...yeah. That's what I have the whip for...
Your just jealous I have a great ass. Sadly all I can think of is this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catman_(comics)

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Wait...

Us English people actually say Right Hon. Gentleman?!

Oh, and something about videogames too. But really?
It's actually a politician thing. You have to call MPs that if you are in the house of commons.

Fun Politics Fact; You cannot call someone an "idiot" in the House of Commons, but you can call them a hamster =D

As a serious point, Keith Vaz needs to be sat down with some industry pundits and veterans and spoken to about games. I'd love to see a televised debate about video games some day with Mps and other prominent figures.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
British politics and its views can go and fuck itself after last nights/todays events. I dont listen to anthing this sad excuse for a government says anymore than I listen to the weird guy dances in his own piss in the park.