Interactive 3D Game Coming to UK Theaters

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Interactive 3D Game Coming to UK Theaters

Starting later this month select multiplexes in the UK will play host to the world's first interactive 3D game in a movie theater.

3D is back in a big way these days, and that's not just true for movies, but the stuff that plays before your movie actually starts. Instead of having to sit through annoying ads and boring movie trivia, audiences at 20 Vue cinemas in the UK will get to experience Asteroid Storm, the world's first interactive 3D game to take place inside a movie theater.

Sponsored by UK mobile phone provider O2, Asteroid Storm puts an entire audience in control of the Starship O2 as it attempts to navigate through a, you guessed it, asteroid storm. The in-game ship will be controlled by different parts of the audience holding its hands up and presumably making steering motions which are read and processed by infrared-equipped cameras attached to the ceiling of the theater.

Action is displayed on screen in 3D, and the graphics don't look so hot, but what do you expect? This is really just a glorified ad for O2. But who cares - I'd rather play some crummy game with my fellow moviegoers than have to sit through slides asking me "What Friends alum starred in films with Bruce Willis?" The only issue I could see is some people getting too into it. I know 3D is pretty intense, but if someone's hand lands in my popcorn, there's going to be hell to pay.

Asteroid Storm will debut on July 10 and play in front of Ice Age 3 3D and, presumably run through to next year when Toy Story 3D comes out. Participating Vue branches are in London, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham.

[Via Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5305538/interactive-3d-game-coming-to-movie-theaters-this-summer]]

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
This might make me go watch Ice Age 3 which is startling if its getting away my doubt of it being any good due to Ice Age 2 being terrible. I also live just south of Leeds and so could go and do this.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Why do I have these horrifying visions of riots breaking out in theatres?

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
squid5580 said:
Why do I have these horrifying visions of riots breaking out in theatres?
Because people who wave their hands to the left aren't going to like it when other people wave their hands to the right.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Great. The last thing I wanted: more interaction with the other people in a movie theatre.

I'll admit, I've thrown my fair share of half-empty water bottles at people in the darkened threatres because they wouldn't shut up. I've even emptied the un-eaten portion of my oversized popcorn bag onto whiny brats two rows down. But now we're going to have everyone doing 'the wave'?

Bah and humbug, I say to you.

pliusmannn

Dec 4, 2008
imagine that this will be played before some heart-touching drama movie, or some frightening horror movie...hope they won't do that for they own sake

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm making a prediction!

Every theatre this comes to will be full of pissed up jerks who deliberately crash the ship/lose the game just to annoy everyone else in the audience.

Otherwise sounds like fun.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
02 make an advert that doesn't involve blue of some sort? Blasphemy.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Man, I can only imagine Keane putting those Street Fighter IV skills to use in real life to whoop some popcorn touchers ass. :p

OT; Sounds pretty cool actually, I'd love to try it out at least.
I imagine it would go something like:
Keane: "Have at thee! Quartercircle fierce! forward jump strong! Half-circle fierce-plus-fierce! Quartercircle Quartercicrle weak-plus-strong-plus-fierce!"
Other guy: "Sit down and stop babbling nonsense."

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
I was kind of expecting (see: hoping) a large multiplayer game played with little controllers attached to the seats, like a team space shooter or something, from the title. Hopefully that's the next step up.