We Reveal Your Picks for the 12th Game of Christmas

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
We Reveal Your Picks for the 12th Game of Christmas

The Escapist Community has spoken - hark, the herald gamers sing!

A couple of weeks ago, The Escapist content team was sitting around the conference table trying to narrow down the twelve most fitting games for an end-of-the-year round up. These games wouldn't just be the best or most-played of 2011, but the games we thought would be great to give as gifts to nearly anyone on your list. As is always the case when trying to narrow games down to a concise list, it was hard to come to a consensus. I'm not going to say the discussion came to blows - Steve Butts may or may not have a nasty left hook - but the heated arguments were decidedly un-holiday-like. So we decided to open the list-making up to you, our amazing community, to pick the most deserving games of 2011.

We set up a poll with 50 of the best games of the year. You guys had a week to pick just one game you felt was the best of the year, and add a short comment as to why you thought that title deserved your selection. Our codemonkeys and poll-tabulators - actually just a trained chinchilla named Calliope - took all the data and popped out our list of 12 Games of Christmas.

Be sure to check back every day until December 25th to see whether your pick made the cut. You'll get a badge for checking out every game the day it publishes, plus an extra-special gift badge for reading each page on whole list of The Escapist's 12 Games of Christmas.

Happy Holidays! Hope you have time to play all the games on this list! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/12gamesofchristmas]

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Miner said:
i can't seem to see numbers 1 to 11
Didn't you actually read the article? They're going to be showing one game per day in the days leading up to Christmas. It's the Twelve Games of Christmas, not the Twelve Games of the Fourteenth of December.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Meh, I just hope that there isn't any game that is worse on the list. DA2 is a decent game. So don't be putting anything bad above it! D=<

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Awesome, and rather hilarious. Given how much (mostly undeserved) hate DA2 gets on The Escapist, it's quite humourous to see it end up on a best of the year list that was voted on by the same population that claims it to be beyond awful.

It definitely had it's flaws, which Bioware themselves even admit to, but it definitely deserves it's spot. Good show DA2, and good show Escapist voters.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Am I the only one who thought the characters in DA 2 were absolutely pitifully written? None of them acted like any real person would act, ah well, to each his own

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
I liked DA2, nut I wouldn't say it deserves to be anywhere near the top 12 games of this year.
Ohhh I cant wait to see what will win number 1! hmm.. be...

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Didn't anyone read the article? The games were chosen by us. So apparently, DA2 IS deserving of that title according to us.

Honestly, I agree. I can see where they're going with this. A well-rounded list of games people might want to get into. DA2 was not a horrible game by all means. It might have not been as good as Origins according to some, but it was good nonetheless.

Not only that, but I'm glad to see something like DA2 there. I'm pretty sure that if it was up to some people, the top 12 games would consist of GoW3, MW3, BF3, Halo and Dead Island. While they're not all bad, there's more to gaming other than FPS and pseudo FPS.

Also...

Skyrim gets spot #1. Just watch.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
And the number one game of Christmas: Duke Nukem Forever.
I kid, although if L.A. Noire isn't on the list I'll be mad. That game was all kinds of awesome.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
ryaoriku12 said:
Ahahahahahaha Jesus Christ, that was literally the worst game I played all year. Just goes to show you why nobody takes The Escapist seriously.
But of course, simply because you found it horrendous it has to be just the worst piece of clart to ever hit store shelves. You, my friend, have most likely fallen prey to false-consensus bias. By the results of the community poll it would seem that I'm correct. Apparently, most Escapist readers (myself not actually having voted) would seem to agree that Dragon Age II deserves its spot.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Are we not allowed to go back and read the previous days? (or am I just incompetent at finding navigational buttons?)
Also, where are the results numbers? Skyrim was killing it the first day, before the numbers went secret. I want to see how badly all the other games lost.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I got # 11, which is Battlefield 3 : (
I got a game I do not care for

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
So, so far, it sounds like a lot of people were lying about DA2.

Alright, who's gonna admit they actually liked the game.
I know I didn't put that on my list and I enjoyed the game.
Hell, I didn't even vote for that one.

(It's okay. No one is going to love you less because you didn't think it was the worst game ever.)

sivloc

Aug 23, 2010
Gmans uncle said:
I liked DA2, nut I wouldn't say it deserves to be anywhere near the top 12 games of this year.
Ohhh I cant wait to see what will win number 1! hmm.. be...

I have the strangest feeling that there is a subliminal message somewhere in your message....hmmmm

Anyway, DA2 was alright I suppose. I beat it and had fun doing so, but I found myself skipping a lot more of the dialog then I would generally do with a bioware game. Just couldn't quite seem to care about certain members of my group...I wonder who I might be referring to?

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I got BF3, even though this is still technically the first day? At least in PST zones it's still the 13th here. Dang.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I wonder if they'll put minecraft on there... Or maybe it was only games released this year? It is truly a pathetic excuse for a top game though.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
hey look, clearly not everyone thinks DA2 is shit. woooo. i loved the game, its one of my top for the year.

this year:
Deus Ex
Skyrim
Portal 2
Dragon age 2
Batman