240: Mama to the Rescue

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Mama to the Rescue

When Brendan Main and his wife got stuck in a slumhole apartment in an unfamiliar city with Cooking Mama as their only entertainment, they both had the same hare-brained idea: to assemble a makeshift kitchen and try their hands at a few of Mama's strangest recipes.

Read Full Article

alejandropro

Aug 11, 2009
I was hitting my thigh as I read this. It was awesome.
I'm a definite Arendt-Fan, but your food article has got her's beat. (please don't tell her I said that...)

wench

Braids of Fury!
May 1, 2008
Fantastic article! I have to admit, I'm curious about the apartment - did it get fixed? Did the tenant's board ride to the rescue? I hope it turned out ok in the end.

Hertzey

Oct 13, 2009
I would love for Cooking with Mama to come out with a cookbook... all that nummy food...

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
great article, its so true, you can have the tastiest ready meal ever, but it wont beat a good old homecooked meal with pride

Byrn Stuff

Nov 16, 2009
I really enjoyed this! Food is probably one of my main passions in life: Eating and cooking are pleasures to be shared with loved ones, and I feel like this column really gets at that. Plus, as someone that rarely uses recipes and just sort of throws together flavors and techniques he enjoys, I can empathize with the wonder at just how much greater the whole is when compared to its parts.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Such a great article. The imagery was vivid and the suspense was killing me. I just had to know how this crazy idea would turn out. Glad to see that it was a tasty endeavor.

Bravo! Keep up the great writing.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
That was a great story. I would show it to my girlfriend, a fan of the Cooking Mama franchise, but I'm afraid she would get worried about the whole "our new home is a disaster, and we just got swindled" aspect of the story since we are currently shopping for a home to buy.

Vert

Feb 14, 2009
Great story! Not really in the vein of the Escapist's usual fare, but fun and funny at the same time. You have quite some talent at writing, Mr Main!

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
I enjoy cooking from time to time, and I enjoyed this article. I don't usually comment just to say that, but there it is. I laughed.

FunkyJ

Jul 26, 2006
I had to laugh at the Squid fried soba, Loco moco, Keema curry and chapatti being "exotic foods" bit...

I know what all those are and I'm a fussy eater!

Maybe Australia is far more multicultural than I thought...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Great story! I'm also curious about what happened afterwards though. I hope that landlord slips on an upturned glass whilst coming down a long, long flight of stairs...

FunkyJ said:
Maybe Australia is far more multicultural than I thought...
Dude, Australia's more multicultural than the United Nations.

Expie

Jan 8, 2010
"A friend of mine, an accomplished chef, describes cooking as alchemy: You combine mundane items and produce something wondrous, a whole greater than its parts. But what we did that night was closer to necromancy."

Great! Now I'm hungry AND laughing my arse off!!

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I saved that article to my favorites to spread around. People are always sending me these religous psalms(even though I'm devoutely NOT religous) and heroic stories, but THIS is inspirational.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
I have to say, this was my favourite article of the week. It was funny, it was dramatic, and even a little inspiring. I particularly enjoyed your life lessons - the first two were hilarious, the last one rather touching. That being said, my one experience playing Cooking Mama involved me screwing up literally anything I tried to cook (probably due to my consumption of some distinctly poor-quality gin). But hey, maybe that food would have tasted amazing as well.