Skyrim Becomes Fastest-Selling Game in Steam's History

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Skyrim Becomes Fastest-Selling Game in Steam's History

Valve reveals some impressive details on the massive RPG's "spectacular launch."

According to Valve, Skyrim has officially sold mores copies in less time than any other game to ever use the Steam platform. The record is but one component of what's proven to be a release as massive as the game itself. ZeniMax has reported that aside from what it describes as "record-breaking digital sales," ten million physical units for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC have already shipped, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales.

"Bethesda's commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received," said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. "We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally."

During its release month of November, the game's PC version outsold any other game available by a ratio of 3:1, and earned some of the highest critic reviews of any released all year.

"We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world," said Robert Altman, CEO of ZeniMax. "We are most grateful to our fans for their support and enthusiasm for the game, and their love of the hundreds of hours of gameplay it offers. We continue to strive to deliver the highest quality entertainment experience for everyone."

If you're someone who's thus far enjoyed traveling the cold, harsh region of Skyrim then you'll be happy to hear that next year (which is right around when you'll likely be able to finally finish) Bethesda has even more plans for Dovakhiin.

"2012 will be another huge year for our fans, with the release of the Creation Kit," Altman said, "as well as exciting DLC which will add to the richness of this epic adventure."

Both the Creation Kit and whatever DLC is in store for gamers should do even more to spark what's already become a lively modding community. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/9279-More-Skyrim-Mods]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-16-valve-skyrim-fastest-selling-game-in-steam-history]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
...wait, what? Steam releasing sales figures?

IT'S A MIRACLE!

Anyway, back to Skyrim! I want to do a load with this character before I go onto my lesbian mage playthrough :p
A miracle? No. It's the Apocalypse.

Just in time for 2012, too!

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Fappy said:
Bug fixes before DLC! Thanks Bethesda! XP
I think this whole bug thing in Skyrim is random. I haven't had a single bug yet, unless you count the horse climbing mountain thing. xD

Then again, I've seen other people who've had some weird bugs, like flying horse.

OT: As long as the DLC isn't horse armour...;)

What could they add though? Open the other continents which people have found, add more dungeons or shouts?

We'll see in January. :p

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
SirBryghtside said:
What? I don't see any Steam sales figure...
Not specific, but...
During its release month of November, the game's PC version outsold any other game available by a ratio of 3:1
They must have done something with the sales figures to come up with that number...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
SirBryghtside said:
What? I don't see any Steam sales figure...
Not specific, but...
During its release month of November, the game's PC version outsold any other game available by a ratio of 3:1
They must have done something with the sales figures to come up with that number...
Well, vague ones are nothing new. Back on 7th October, Tripwire also released vague figures of their Steam sale:

By most business measures Red Orchestra 2 has been a smashing success for Tripwire Interactive. Within 2 days of the launch of the game it had surpassed the lifetime revenue of the original Red Orchestra that has been selling for over 5 years. The pre-sales and launch week sales of the game broke all company records, even beating out our hit game Killing Floor by a three-fold margin.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I love the description of Bethesda's "commitment to and understanding of the PC" If that were true then we would have had a usable UI and large address aware from day 1...

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
leahzero said:
Dear CDProjekt:

Are you taking notes?
Why should they?

They made a great game that's entirely different to skyrim.

Next you'll be saying a small fps developer should be copying CoD.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Skyrim sells well, gaming community rejoices.

CoD sells well, gaming community flips the fuck out and cries recycling.

Hypocrite much, gamers?
Although I don't agree that it's pure recycling with the CoD games (though they could branch out a little more now), there is a rather bigger difference between Oblivion and Skyrim compared to CoD 5 and 6 (or 6 and 7?). Like, a lot more differences. In a lot of ways.

Christopher Dudgeon

Mar 24, 2010
Bethesda must be BURNED at the stake as sorcerers!!!

How can they fit sooo much into such a tiny game???

I mean 5.6GB and I've played 135 hrs on just 1 character and yet I keep on discovering MOAR!!!!

And now they want to add even more stuff to my game........When will it END!

P.S. Please never let it end ;)