Stacking Goes PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stacking Goes PC

Stacking, Double Fine's game about Russian matryoshka dolls, is coming to the PC.

I'll be honest with you: I really don't know anything about Stacking and yes, I had to Google "matryoshka [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matryoshka_doll]" because I wanted to look smart on the news page. The game apparently sets players up as a tiny Russian nesting doll who jumps into and controls other dolls, using their special abilities to navigate levels, solve puzzles and so forth. Something like that, anyway. The important thing is that after coming out for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 back in February, the game is now on its way to the PC.

Is it any good? That seems to be a matter of debate; one anonymous commenter said the concept was great but expressed reservations about the actual gameplay, but it did take home the X-Play award for Psychonauts [http://www.g4tv.com/videos/56650/best-of-2011-best-downloadable-game/], and when you've got "we made Psychonauts" in your company bio, everything else you do for the rest of time is awesome by default.

It's also interesting in light of yesterday's announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114757-Alan-Wake-Is-Coming-Home] that the previously Xbox 360-exclusive Alan Wake will be released for PCs in early 2012. [Costume Quest, another Double Fine game that came out for the 360 and PS3 in October 2010, was released for PC in October 2011.] It's nice to be able to play these games at the same time as everyone else, if only because it helps alleviate the feeling of being a second-class citizen, but there's also something to be said for delayed releases, which typically come to the table sporting numerous tweaks, upgrades and sometimes even bonus content. I'll take that over a rushed simultaneous release any day.

No word on when Stacking for the PC will be out, but we'll keep you posted.

via: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/16/doublefines-stacking-is-coming-to-pc/]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
WOooooo hell yeah, now I can finally get that game, my damn 360 only has a 20 gig hd and its full, hopefully trenched or whatever its called now will come to the pc also.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
I'm going part YAY! and after playing Costume Quest I wish Double Fine had the support to focus on full fledged games sometime soon.

Still a little of Double Fine goes a long way.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Played this game on the PS3. Honestly, this was the best indie game of the year in my opinion. Glad that more people have the chance to play it. And hopefully it'll include the DLC that came with it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I always prefer my indie/small games on PC, so this is great news. Too bad it probably won't be in time for the Steam X-mas sale, but still nice.
Any game from Double Fine is worth getting in my book, but I've been hesitant about these console exclusives.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Very nice, I did play the game on xbox and I do haveto give you guys a fair warning it's aimed at a younger audience, you don't somuch figure stuff out as you just mix and match everything till it works.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Worgen said:
WOooooo hell yeah, now I can finally get that game, my damn 360 only has a 20 gig hd and its full, hopefully trenched or whatever its called now will come to the pc also.
And if it comes to Steam and gets heavily discounted, Trenched might even be worth your time.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Worgen said:
And if it comes to Steam and gets heavily discounted, Trenched might even be worth your time.
Your saying its too awesome for full price? That doesn't sound right but I'm not sure why.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I loved Stacking, it was great and kinda funny.

I watched the X-Play award's show and Double Fine sent in a video with them accepting the award using the dolls. They had that announcement
on a sign and I didn't know if they were serious or not since both Tim Schafer and the other guy were acting out a make out scene with the dolls...

I will support everything Double Fine does, they are awesome.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Worgen said:
Your saying its too awesome for full price? That doesn't sound right but I'm not sure why.
Probably because you used "your" instead of "you're."

"My" not saying anything.

There's also the "getting it completely backward" part, but I can see why you might have done so in "you're" confusion.