YouTube: Universal Music Abused the System

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
YouTube: Universal Music Abused the System

That cheeky Megaupload ad is back on YouTube, and apparently it never should have been taken down in the first place.

The controversial video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114751-Megaupload-Suing-Universal-Over-Pulled-YouTube-Video], in which popular hip-hop performers including Kanye West, Mary J. Blige and will.i.am literally sing the praises of Hong Kong-based file-sharing service Megaupload, was reinstated last Wednesday.

"Our partners do not have the right to take down videos from YT unless they own the rights to them or they are live performances controlled through exclusive agreements with their artists, which is why we reinstated it," said a YouTube spokesperson.

Apparently Universal Music abused YouTube's content filter system to remove the video, which cost Megaupload a cool $3 million to produce, shortly after it was uploaded. Megaupload has since taken Universal to court, claiming the company violated a provision in copyright law designed to prevent bogus copyright claims. Universal wouldn't disclose why they removed the video, at least not in court, but it has accused Megaupload of enabling piracy in the past.

According to Universal's lawyers, Megaupload isn't entitled to monetary compensation even though the takedown wasn't legit. Universal's argument [http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2011/12/umgresponse.pdf] is that YouTube's private content filtering system doesn't count as an official takedown notice under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and thus the company isn't legally liable. Megaupload's lawyer Ira Rothken called the argument "preposterous."

"UMG did not have a good faith belief that this video was infringing any of their copyrights," he said. "What they are basically arguing, they can go ahead and suppress any speech they want without any consequences. That's not a workable paradigm."

Universal has previously argued that YouTube video takedowns do come under the purview of the DMCA, and, because of that, it doesn't have to consider "fair-use" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use] doctrine when taking down videos such as this one. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KfJHFWlhQ&feature=player_embedded]

No word on how YouTube will respond to Universal's attempt to game the system, presumably we're going to see some savage finger-wagging.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/youtube-universal-megaupload]

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I like that UMG seems to think they can argue that a ContentID takedown is the equivalent of a DMCA takedown in one case, then immediately argue that a ContentID takedown *isn't* the equivalent of a DMCA takedown in another. Megaupload clearly needs to take action to have UMG's lawyers disbarred.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Over here in Hong Kong, we can't even access Megavideo or Megaupload despite the fact the company's based in Hong Kong. So frankly, I can't give much of a damn on this issue.

I will, however, grab some popcorn and take a backseat while I watch two companies I despise tear each other into bits in a wonderful catfight.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
don't all the record companies abuse the system to take down stuff like AMV,s or trailers?

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
henritje said:
don't all the record companies abuse the system to take down stuff like AMV,s or trailers?
That they do. Recent ecample would be Viacom (gametrailers) taking down diablo 3 intro and others (eg the Rainbow 6 Patriots Debut Trailer) that were first seen in the VGA 2011. Even if you got the upload from the publishers themselves.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i kinda hope universal gets their asses handed to them. as its my understanding they have no IP involved, artists *snorts,coughs* on contract maybe but no IP, and god forbid the prefer one service over another :p

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone...did Youtube actually develop a SPINE?! When the hell did this happen?!

In any case, I'm glad to see they decided to put their foot down on this. At no point in the entire video do they advocate piracy or infringe upon Universal's copyright holdings. Of course, the irony is that the video's bound to be even more popular because of Universal's efforts to shut it down.

Here's hoping Youtube starts standing up to other companies that do similar practices. I'm looking at you, Warner Music Group.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone...did Youtube actually develop a SPINE?! When the hell did this happen?!

In any case, I'm glad to see they decided to put their foot down on this. At no point in the entire video do they advocate piracy or infringe upon Universal's copyright holdings. Of course, the irony is that the video's bound to be even more popular because of Universal's efforts to shut it down.

Here's hoping Youtube starts standing up to other companies that do similar practices. I'm looking at you, Warner Music Group.
Now if Youtube was standing up to Universal alone in this situation, then they would have a spine. But alas, Youtube is only standing up to Universal because Megaupload is standing up to Universal- Megaupload is Youtube's spine in this instance.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
tthor said:
Neverhoodian said:

Now if Youtube was standing up to Universal alone in this situation, then they would have a spine. But alas, Youtube is only standing up to Universal because Megaupload is standing up to Universal- Megaupload is Youtube's spine in this instance.
Well, if they win, this could set up one hell of an interesting precedent. I don't think Youtube has ever stood up to a corporation like this, even if MU are leading the fight.

We can only hope this case is successful and that Youtube becomes more emboldened in the future to protect its (and our) rights. There are plenty of other cases of companies abusing the system, and they need ot be adressed too. Like AMVs, which I am SURE count as transformative works...

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
That ad was the most obnoxious one I've seen in a long time. Honestly, I made it to 1:17 before I wanted to simultaneously pull my hair out of my skull. Those annoying voices crooning "MMMEEGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAA UUUUUUPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDD" grate hard. I'm never using MU again. Who the hell thought that ad was a good idea?

Still, I'm amazed Youtube actually has half a ball regarding this matter. Usually they just bend over for the corporation and take it. Then they proceed to bend the community over and pass along the present.

GryMor

Mar 29, 2011
With the current climate of TOS violation -> Felony, I hope Youtube/Google has a prosecutor they can poke into going after UMG. It would be a Win/Win case for the rest of us (either weakening the TOS violation -> felony link or sticking it to DMCA takedown abusers).

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Way to deflect the issue, Google/Youtube! You had no business giving Universal the unilateral right to arbitrarily remove content without even as a DMCA takedown in the first place.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Never mind. Watch the video anyway.

<youtube=JhwuXNv8fJM&feature=youtu.be>

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I'm getting so tired of all this copyright bullshit going over the fence hoping into the field of insanity, do a little nude dance and crab-walks back to us. And then expects us to still take it seriously.

I won't argue that copyright laws are useless, or need to go. They are there for a reason and should be enforced. But lately it's just all gone too far.

I'm a mailman to pay for my studies.
I deliver mail on Saturdays and while doing that, I got my mp3 in my pocket and listen to a few songs while working.
I usually whistle, humm or even sing along (badly).
If this copyright stuff goes on the way it does, I might sued one day on singing a sing in public that I do not have the rights off.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I lost all sympathy for music industries when they tried to remove guitar tabs from websites.

Hope Universal gets fucked on this one

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks Universal, without you I would have never even heard of this video.
But imagine what companies like Universal Music could do after SOPA has passed.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well, good to see this happening this way. Also, everyone shouldn't act as if SOPA is either a new thing or likely to happen. People have been trying that for a long time in a lot of different areas.

Apr 28, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Seriously, fuck Universal, fuck Sony, fuck Nintendo, fuck EA and fuck the US Congress.

Indeed. SOPA would allow them to do this crap to entire websites.

Because piracy.

And (most of) Congress doesn't seem to even want to care to understand the bill. Because "they're no nerds and there's no reason to bring in the nerds to explain it" (actual god damn quote).

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Irridium said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Seriously, fuck Universal, fuck Sony, fuck Nintendo, fuck EA and fuck the US Congress.

Indeed. SOPA would allow them to do this crap to entire websites.

Because piracy.

And (most of) Congress doesn't seem to even want to care to understand the bill. Because "they're no nerds and there's no reason to bring in the nerds to explain it" (actual god damn quote).
It's scary how many gaming companies and their lobbyists are backing SOPA - Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Ubisoft, Square Enix, THQ, Nintendo, Capcom, Take Two, Sony and some others. Though on the slightly brighter side, Microsoft, Valve, Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard/Vivendi have so far refused to back it.

Edit: My bad, appears like those guys were misrepresented by the ESA. No wonder I was aghast Tim Sweeny, the guy who released a freeware version of UE3 and rails against programming copyrights, would be backing this bill! Never change, Sweeny.

http://judiciary.house.gov/issues/Rouge%20Websites/SOPA%20Supporters.pdf