Remedy Focusing on Xbox 360 Version of Alan Wake

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Remedy Focusing on Xbox 360 Version of Alan Wake

Bad news for PC gamers: Alan Wake [http://www.remedy.fi/] and as a result, the PC release will just have to wait.

Quoting the Finnish gaming magazine Pelaaja, fansite Xbox 360 [http://www.brightfalls.net/news/618/] in spring 2010. The "original vision" of the game remains the same but as development has progressed, the way it plays has changed: It will not be linear, according to the magazine, but in order to accommodate the focus on story, the planned sandbox style of gameplay has been abandoned.

But of particular interest to PC owners is the fact that Remedy has talked exclusively about the Xbox 360 version of the game since E3, leaving the fate of the PC version a mystery. In the article, the studio said it and responded with the following [http://www.microsoft.com]:

Hey all,

I'm a PC gamer at heart (have a Core i7, Radeon 4890, 5.1 audio setup at home) so I do appreciate your concerns.

Unfortunately all I can say at this point is that we're focusing all our efforts on the 360 version and will be making comments in regards to the PC at a later in time.

It seems unlikely that the PC version would be canceled at this late stage, but a delay appears all but inevitable. Hopefully Remedy will reveal its intentions for the PC release in the near future.

via: Voodoo Extreme [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/48875/Alan-Wake-PC-Has-To-Wait]

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
But, but... oh, forget it. As horrifying as this is to me, I'll just have to stomach it and eat the delay.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
It's a shame no one on either system is really gonna care.
Basically, this.

I don't even know anything about this game.

To the interwebz!

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
The Shade said:
Booze Zombie said:
Basically, this.

To the interwebz!
It pretty much a cool overhyped sandbox game that got turned into a (what looks like) a run of the mill action game.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
bue519 said:
The Shade said:
Booze Zombie said:
Basically, this.

To the interwebz!
It pretty much a cool overhyped sandbox game that got turned into a (what looks like) a run of the mill action game.
That's interesting, I'd always assumed it was a aquatic sports game, along the line of Wakeboarding Unleashed Featuring Shaun Murray... every time I read or heard the title my mind just processed it as Alan's Wake(boarding), which is the only reason for my complete lack of interest.

So Alan Wake isn't surfing's equivalent of Tony Hawk, and this game is nothing to do with sports... I might check it out.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
I don't think PC Gamers are that bothered about this then...
seeing how long it has been (prior to e3) since anything had been said about alan wake a gauntaree that a lot of people have completly forgotten about it.

as much as i perfer my pc to my consoles id much perfer remedy to focus on making alan wake a damn good game.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Why does microsoft continually seem to forget about the PC platform a format that nintendo and sony have no hold over, allowing cross-platform gaming would significantly improve the xbox experience

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I heard MS say something on shacknews along the lines of "if this gets released on both the 360 and PC simultaneously in Europe, they will buy the PC version 9 times out of 10."

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
This is one game I can't seem to get excited about, no matter how I try. Getting rid of the sandbox gameplay just makes it that much harder.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
jamesworkshop said:
Why does microsoft continually seem to forget about the PC platform a format that nintendo and sony have no hold over, allowing cross-platform gaming would significantly improve the xbox experience
You can play certain xbox games against PC gamers, but the variety is low and the only game I actually played that was a xbox/PC crossover was some game called 'Shadow Run', and it was pretty terrible. But I do agree with your point. I think even if it was something like TF2 or L4D, you might introduce a new sector into the experience, but that might force charges onto PC Gamers, and they'll ***** 'till the cows come home.

Good idea though :]

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Oh, another 360 "exclusive" with a PC version, eh? The system is really getting pointless when everything on it can be had on a PC for WAAAAAY cheaper.

Not that I'm really interested, the E3 trailer looked seriously MEH and made me wonder why people acted like the game's a big deal. Oh, hey, another third person shooter EXCPET THIS ONE IS ABOUT A WRITER, INNOVATION! A writer with superhuman stamina and an aim that makes soldiers look cross-eyes, most likely...

ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I heard MS say something on shacknews along the lines of "if this gets released on both the 360 and PC simultaneously in Europe, they will buy the PC version 9 times out of 10."
PC version: 50€. 360 version: 70€. What could POSSIBLY make people prefer the PC version...

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Radelaide said:
jamesworkshop said:
You can play certain xbox games against PC gamers, but the variety is low and the only game I actually played that was a xbox/PC crossover was some game called 'Shadow Run', and it was pretty terrible. But I do agree with your point. I think even if it was something like TF2 or L4D, you might introduce a new sector into the experience, but that might force charges onto PC Gamers, and they'll ***** 'till the cows come home.

Good idea though :]
True however those game when released had the problem of Live even without owning a 360 being a paid for service and since it has gone free (pc version) it has stopped entirely.
The internet is the greatest tool available for mass comunication why build a wall inbetween in an area where the xbox competitors can be completly locked out.
Sure theirs the gamepad vs Kb/M but really hows it any different than playing someone whos much better than you anyway

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
@ KDR_11k People act like the game's a big deal because it's made by Remedy, who brought us Max Payne. As a Finnish citizen, I have a special reason to be interested in it because the game is made about 30 kilometers from where I live.

I don't really mind waiting longer for it, but what I'm worried about is that the pc controls will have the oh-so-common "mouse acceleration / mouse smoothing that can't be turned off" problem. So far Ghostbusters, Bioshock and Dead Space have been ruined by it, forcing me to buy a 360 usb controller and trying to learn console fps controls.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I will most likely rent it for my 360 and see if it warrants a PC buy. If it is a horror game then I will not be renting it.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
bue519 said:
This.

They've changed the premise a bit too much =\.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Well, I'm not bothered about waiting. It'll be a piss poor port, considering all the crap that's gone before, so I won't buy it.