Let's All Watch The Batman Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Let's All Watch The Batman Trailer

MovieBob takes a very close look at the new Batman trailer.

Read Full Article

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
"Gee, it sure would be ironic if turned out that peacetime makes Gotham lower its guard and fall prey to evil, thus teaching everyone the lesson that peace can only be won by leaders who are constantly ready/eager for war, huh? Nolanverse Batman: your source for uncomfortably positive imaginings of the Cheney doctrine since 2008!"

...Because the only films hollywood is allowed to produce are anti-war, anti-Bush tirades?

Or is it just the realization that the probable biggest blockbuster of the first eleven months of the year is going to be something whose philosophy you disagree with? Insert comment about turnabout here. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_%282009_film%29]

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Honestly, I believe that this'll be good, but I still think we should pass some kind of law that prohibits anyone but Nolan to do a "gritty realism" version of annything. Lets hope that the Avengers becomes slightly better, simply to show that superheroes should stay super.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Mantonio said:
Honestly Bob, I think you should have analysed The Hobbit trailer instead.
I assume he didn't have the time before the holidays. I've found two vloser looks at the trailer.
A kinda bad one here
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/12/21/ign-rewind-theater-the-hobbit-first-trailer
And a great one here
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/12/23/51649-first-hobbit-trailer-torns-frame-by-frame-analysis/

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I know what you mean. I find that I'm not exited for this movie at all for some reason. I think it's because The Avengers have gotten to me, and I'm done with gritty realism too.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Star City? STAR City, Bob? Honestly, I'm a bit ashamed of you.

The Rogues are from CENTRAL City.

I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your nerd badge.

Also, am I the only one who's completely soured on Nolan Batman, thinks Ledger's performance was overrated, and is sick of people touting TDK as the greatest superhero movie ever?

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
Okay, I watched this trailer, but all I could really think about it was: This looks dumb.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Nolan will probably kill Batman. I read somewhere that he is done with the series and doesn't want his version to continue. To do that, you have to
a. Kill the main character
b. Cause the main character to get shot in the spinal cord causing paralysis (which kinda didn't work for Magneto)
or c. causing a nuke to go off in Gotham killing everyone... except Bat-man.

If c happens, Batman 4: Rise of the Zombies will be awesome.

TBH, I'm way more excited for The Hobbit, but, that's me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm amazed that people still use Apple's awful system for viewing trailers.

jFr[e said:
ak93]Nolan will probably kill Batman. I read somewhere that he is done with the series and doesn't want his version to continue.
And Sam Raimi didn't want to do Venom. Never udnerestimate the power of executive meddling.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I'm a big fan of Bob, but it seems like lately his sole criterion for evaluating comic book adaptations is how much fidelity to the source material they have. At least, that's the only explanation I have for him taking such a cynical view of this while heaping praise all over GI Joe 2.

Vis a vis the whole "grittiness" thing..... I can see where people are coming from. Popular culture seems to be running this way lately, what with the Transformers being turned into Black Hawk Down-style war movies or whatever the hell is supposed to be (WEEP FOR THE CHILDREN'S TOYS. FEEL THEIR BROTHERHOOD), or the veritable explosion of fantasy novels trying to out-do each other with how much rape and torture they can pack into each 1000 page volume. I get that this is all a little tiresome, and I like many others saw the first Iron Man movie and Xmen: First Class as a welcome breath of fresh air.

But the problem with Bob's attitude (mirrored by a lot of people in the internet lately) is that its too general. Yes, making Spiderman or Superman dark and gritty doesn't make sense, but does that mean it no longer makes sense for Batman? As unpopular as this sounds, I would argue the reason people connected so strongly with a version of Batman stripped of most of the trappings of his comic-book origins is that he never truly belonged to that medium in the first place.

While I just praised First Class for being more comic-booky, the same holds true for that film's versions of Magneto and Xavier. Seeing those characters without their superhero outfits or code names and grounded in a more realistic setting that ditches aliens, magic and parallel dimensions in favour of stright up sci-fi felt like a revelation- "this is the version of these characters I've always wanted", I found myself thinking in the cinema.

Am I just coming at this from the biased perspective of someone who has never liked superhero comics? Maybe. But then again, there has to be some reason why the movie version of these characters have won over mainstream audiences in a way that comic books themselves never could.

Randomspike

Pinball Wizard
Oct 12, 2010
McMarbles said:
Also, am I the only one who's completely soured on Nolan Batman, thinks Ledger's performance was overrated, and is sick of people touting TDK as the greatest superhero movie ever?
No, no you aren't. I agree with you on all three points.

stickmangrit

May 30, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm amazed that people still use Apple's awful system for viewing trailers.

jFr[e said:
ak93]Nolan will probably kill Batman. I read somewhere that he is done with the series and doesn't want his version to continue.
And Sam Raimi didn't want to do Venom. Never udnerestimate the power of executive meddling.
thing is, Raimi didn't go into Spider-Man 3 having delivered the third highest domestic box-office of all time. he also didn't have anywhere near the level of contractual protection Nolan has(note the "i get to make one movie of my chosing after each Bat film and WB will pay for it" clause). and Sony wasn't rolling in more Harry Potter money than they knew what to do with(which is really the only reason Nolan's gotten away with as much as he has). if Nolan wants to kill Bats just to make absolutely sure that the NolanBatverse has a conclusive end that nobody can pick back up, WB will let him.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
stickmangrit said:
thing is, Raimi didn't go into Spider-Man 3 having delivered the third highest domestic box-office of all time. he also didn't have anywhere near the level of contractual protection Nolan has(note the "i get to make one movie of my chosing after each Bat film and WB will pay for it" clause). and Sony wasn't rolling in more Harry Potter money than they knew what to do with(which is really the only reason Nolan's gotten away with as much as he has). if Nolan wants to kill Bats just to make absolutely sure that the NolanBatverse has a conclusive end that nobody can pick back up, WB will let him.
Dicing hairs on the situation is fun, but it still doesn't really change much.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
The Random Paradox said:
McMarbles said:
No, no you aren't. I agree with you on all three points.
See... I'm a lifetime DC fanboy... but I'm more looking forward to The Avengers than I am to TDKR and even the Superman reboot. Maybe I'm just tired of superhero movies that are ashamed to be superhero movies.

Maybe that's why I *gasp* liked Green Lantern more than TDK.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Didn't al'Gul's cult have an earthquake machine? I seem to remember there being a plot where he intended to use such a device to make the Lazurus pits overflow and flood the earth. Either way, Bane uses it to blow up a football game. The part of me that remembers and is still bitter about my high school experience approves.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
McMarbles said:
Star City? STAR City, Bob? Honestly, I'm a bit ashamed of you.

The Rogues are from CENTRAL City.

I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your nerd badge.
Darn. Beaten to the punch. But yes, Bob, I too am disappointed in this unforgivable offense. We nerds cannot abide by such shameful mistakes.

Also, what's with all the Bane hate? Sure, he's not the best Batman villain, or even top 10 best, but he's not the worst. He's had at least one good story, Knightfall (he was also really good in Secret Six, but because that doesn't involve Batman, I won't count it).