Xbox 360-Exclusive DLC Coming To Final Fantasy XIII-2

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Xbox 360-Exclusive DLC Coming To Final Fantasy XIII-2

Square Enix just unveiled a solid reason to buy the Xbox 360 iteration of Final Fantasy XIII-2. I guess.

See that bow in the embedded image? If you own the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and are willing to drop $1 into the Xbox Live Marketplace coffers, you can take that baby home.

Who cares? Obviously you don't have an eye for quality fletching. I mean, look at that thing! It's curvy, it's got a string, there's all kinds of superfluous pointy bits; what's not to like?

I'm not doing a great job of selling this thing, huh? Let's see if the official announcement can do any better.

"Azrael is named after an angel who represents spirits and death," the press release states, finally revealing a proper name for the weapon. "It is believed to possess the power to change the owner's destiny, and the player's Chain Bonus will upgrade when equipped."

That's all pretty rad, right? I mean, it upgrades your Chain Bonus dude! I'm sure that will be a really, super-impressive feature when the game is actually released here in North America.

Plus, the bow shares a name with Gargamel's cat! For my money that feline was the best part of The Smurfs. That old man could never catch any of those lil' blue jerks on his own. The real brains of the operation was that cat. Dude was straight up devious.

Granted, he never actually got to eat any Smurfs, but that was more a side effect of starring in a largely child-oriented medium than anything else. I'm sure that in reality Azrael would have splayed their tiny blue bodies open and had a feast of azure entrails.

Y'know, now that I think of it, would a Smurf have color-coordinated guts? Like, I get that "blue" is a recurring theme for these things, but it doesn't make any sense that their insides would be blue too, does it? If only because the seemingly mammalian Smurf should, by all accounts, have iron-rich blood, which as in humans, would turn red with the introduction of oxygen. Even if Smurfs didn't need to breathe, one would assume that upon cracking one open, its internal workings would assume a scarlet hue purely by virtue of postmortem blood pooling.

Right? I mean, this is basic high school biology.

Wait, what was I talking about originally?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
And that bow will probably be replaced about 2hrs into the game, or less. If it is some do-all, end-all weapon, it basically means they're selling cheat gear which is so hilariously sad.

Ya know, I get the feeling this was just some bone they had to throw the 360 so they could say "360 Exclusive bonus weapon" on the advertising blurbs since we know how childish the 360's distribution policy is (We get it first or we don't offer it at all). The PS3 will probably get something similar so they can have the same "exclusivity" claim.

Also, Smurf blood is blue because of the high levels of unobtainium in it, geeze man.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Isn't the more note worthy news here that Final Fantasy XIII-2 is getting DLC? I mean... really?

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
if you turn the picture side ways and look at the bow, it kinda looks like a average final fantasy enemy

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Wow, I was about to rage that this was a big kick in the teeth for all the people who bought a PS3 for Final Fantasy (remember, this was when the last FF games were X and XI which were frickin' amazing)... but yeah, then I read the article

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Stalydan said:
Isn't the more note worthy news here that Final Fantasy XIII-2 is getting DLC? I mean... really?
It's not the first one. There is the Ezio costume for Noel, Gamestop's preorder bonus (Which is the Genji Bow/Blade for Serah along with a new outfit; which increases her attack speed), and Amazon's Monster Arena where completing it gets Omega Weapon to join your party.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah, I was about to rant too about how this was unfair to people like me who have followed the FF series since its PS days (FFVI/FFVII and up). But then this happened. So eh. At any rate, I'm pretty sure the PS3 will get the item eventually, somehow. If not, it's no biggie.

Oh, FF. I have so much faith in you. I will continue buying your games as long as they exist. But you worry me as of lately.

Also, I immediately thought of The Smurfs too. Isn't that weird?