Facebook Adding Advertisements to Personal News Feeds

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Facebook Adding Advertisements to Personal News Feeds

Soon, you'll be seeing sponsored ads between pictures of your ex-girlfriend's cat and posts about how awful that one waiter was at dinner.

Beginning in January of 2012, Facebook is expanding the real estate for sponsored advertiser space. While once relegated to the right-hand column of the main page, ads will now appear within your primary news feed as well, emerging sporadically between other, more legitimate posts from your friends.

This isn't the first time good ol' Zuckerberg tried the tactic; back in late 2006 Facebook pulled a similar stunt in which standard "sponsor messages" began appearing in nearly the same fashion. This practice lasted all the way into 2008 when the site deemed the system too "disruptive" to the social media experience of its users. Now, four years later, the company has decided to give it another go, but this time with a shiny new twist.

These new advertisements will be something called "Sponsored Stories," which will be generated by the actions of others on your friends list. Here's a quick example as to how this is going to work: Let's say Todd, some bozo you took geometry with but were always too lazy to delete, decides to "like" Coca-Cola on Facebook (he somehow felt the world would be a better place once publicly declaring the allegiance). As soon as Todd presses that little thumbs-up, Coca-Cola auto generates an advertisement Story on your news feed about that caramel-colored caffeinated beverage he seems to be so keen on.

Facebook doesn't want you to worry though, "hoping" they'll only need to hit you with these things about once a day. "Our goal is to do this thoughtfully and slowly," the site has written about the change. "We hope to show people no more than one Sponsored Story in their news feeds per day and the story will be clearly labeled as sponsored."

Advertisements are extremely important for free websites, but as the most profitable site in the history of the internet, I wonder if Facebook's decision to invade its own core function with obtrusive sponsor messages is truly necessary to keep the lights on at Mark Zuckerberg's house. Perhaps the more relevant and disturbing question is that even if these "Stories" somehow manage subtlety, are we really okay with our activities and predilections being used as content drivers for our friends? It's odd enough that every time I look at a silly pair of pants online they suddenly appear as banner ads on every other website I visit, but am I really ready to have things like photosynthepants [http://www.bonobos.com/leaves-pant-straightleg] appear in my friends' internet travels, too?

Source: Financial Times [http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a6e33c1a-2b7a-11e1-9fd0-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1hI3q0SXa]

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Good thing I'm going to stop using Facebook to such extremes. Facebook already detects words you type in and makes a news feed about it. I'm guessing it isn't the only thing it's detecting. *Cough*

crom jr

May 28, 2011
Zuckerberg isnt going to be happy until he has enough money to buy the entire internet

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
The amount of custom scripts I have running on Facebook anyway I'm sure I can find a way to make these bearable or maybe even pretty.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Wait, Facebook is more profitable than Google? Huh.

Anyways, yeah. Don't like that guy. Depending on how shitty this is I might finally cave and give Google+ a try. Then again, people stopped talking about that after, like... a month. Are people still using it?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
crom jr said:
Zuckerberg isnt going to be happy until he has enough money to buy the entire internet
Bill Gates already tried.

Anyway, so THIS is the coming apocalypse they were talking about. I thought it was gonna be something about what Dara O'Briain said.

*Pause*

Hey wait. Does that mean Facebook is gonna end up like the Escapist? PFFFT! HAH HAH HAH HAH HAAAH!!! Let's watch.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Yay. Once again I'm happy I don't bookface.

Also, only once a day isn't bad?

Maybe not if you have a ton of activity but I know people whose walls are pretty inactive. If that is the case you could end up seeing nearly 10 ads in a row between relevant posts if you only use it once a week. Oh well, I guess you get what you paid for.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
DazZ. said:
The amount of custom scripts I have running on Facebook anyway I'm sure I can find a way to make these bearable or maybe even pretty.
Enlighten me about these scripts :)

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Adblock already covers those sponsored ones on the sides, no reason it shouldn't do the same in the feed. Especially because they so conveniently label it... Element Hiding Helper, fantastic.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Nouw said:
DazZ. said:
What do you want? Layouts and prettyness or things like a popup for when people unfriend you.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Ahhh Suckerberg....I hate you...as if fighting the little ads on the side wasnt bad enough now Ive got to smash em off my news feed?

THE END OF FACEBOOK DRAWS CLOSER EACH DAY.....

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Welp, so much for facebook.
Guess I'll give Google+ or Twitter a try so I can at least pretend to have a social life.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
And in one fell swoop, Zuckerberg inadvertently made Google+ a success.

Well played, Zuckerberg. Well played.

P.S. Thanks

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
DazZ. said:
Nouw said:
DazZ. said:
What do you want? Layouts and prettyness or things like a popup for when people unfriend you.
So it's much broader o_O. I'll pass then, I want to find them myself.

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
Every single update that appears on my news feed which does not directly stem from a person with whom I have declared a Facebook friendship will be marked as spam. That's what I consider "spam", anyway: content which reaches my perception but is not generated by my actions or interests.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Mark Zuckerberg's house is probably made of lightbulbs, and he really does need the extra money to keep them on.

That being said, I'm not a bit surprised. Zuckerberg seems to have a vendetta against privacy, and it's going to be the end of him and his site if he keeps abusing his users like this. He got away with it for a long time because there was no competition, but now he's going to have to really think about how many users he's willing to chase away for more adspace now that G+ is around.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Lol, perhaps this will get the girlfriend to stop using it all the time... though I doubt it. All well, I visit it maybe once every couple of weeks. If it wasn't for my girlfriend, I would have deleted that shit a long ass time ago.

Zuckerberg is really retarded anyway. He donated a shit load of money to the Newark School system, the one that already gets the lions share of the education budget and pays the most per child out of the entire state. I mean, keep it up. The beauty of the internet is the competition.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Wait, the crap tangetially related to anything I might have liked at some point that my news feed is being spammed by ISN'T advertising? As in, they'll add MORE advertising? Wow, that's not greedy at all... [/sarcasm]

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Oh joy. I can deal with the little ads on the side. I understand that ads are sometimes needed to keep a site alive but the goal should be to keep them unintrusive. The ads are there but they are out of the way. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Simplicity is the way to attract people to your site or product. Look at youtube for example the site had a good layout and then the people in charge decide to just go and change everything. Now it is overcrowed on the homepage and cluttered. The same thing happened here with the escapist. I think many people were happy with the old layout. The new one is workable but not as enjoyable as the old.