The Escapist Presents: 5 Favorites of 2011: Paul

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
5 Favorites of 2011: Paul

Paul Goodman shares his Top 5 Favorite Games of 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/9291-Pauls-Five-Favorites-of-2011].

Watch Video

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
How refreshing to see an end of the year list without Skyrim. You're wrong of course, but I respect your opinion. (It's hard to convey sarcasm through text, so to clarify, the You're wrong part was sarcasm)
Nice to see Rayman get the credit it deserves, and love that indie titles are so prominent. Was surprised to learn spacechem came out this year. I got it in an indie bundle, but haven't really given it a chance, as the weird fake chemistry threw me off. Is it worth it to get back into it? And Atom Zombie Smasher sounds like fun, but you misspelt it in the video.

Direbaka

Jul 10, 2010
To emphasize on the quality of Spacechem, it is a masterpiece of puzzling design. It is mind-numbingly difficult, but mostly fair. If something doesn't work, you will know why.

The key in all of this is that each level can be solved in many different ways. Instead of trying to deduce the single path that the developer had in mind, you get to perform the task in any way that you see fit, with constraints of course.

In addition to the many well designed levels in the main game, there is a large amount of levels that players have designed available in game. Additionally, the developer has been adding new features to the level editor allowing for a great deal of freedom.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
I see you are fan of Puzzle games. I am not, I dislike puzzle games. Especially Atom Zombie Smasher was very hard for me (and also boring).
However, Portal 2 was amazing imo, it is even my most favorite game in 2011.
I wish people make more puzzle games like Portal.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Guess I should take your recommendation of SpaceChem as a reason for me to get around to actually trying it out. Like so many other games, it's been sitting on my backlog for a little while. :eek:

Anyway, good list of game favorites. I can agree that of the games i've played from your list, the only one I actually have played is pretty good (Portal 2). :eek:

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Direbaka said:
The key in all of this is that each level can be solved in many different ways. Instead of trying to deduce the single path that the developer had in mind, you get to perform the task in any way that you see fit, with constraints of course.
Yep. I agree. Spacechem is fantastic for exactly this reason.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Haven't played Rayman, but I have played the rest. I'm not the biggest fan of Spacechem. It's an interesting game and the number of possible solutions is nice, but... it's just not my kind of game. Atom Zombie Smasher is good. It can be frustrating and hard to get used to, but it's still fun. And Portal 2 was excellent. I have very few problems with it besides the fact I thought the story mode was a bit rubbish. Training exercise, Training Exercise, Training, more training, etc, then the 'real purpose' which really just seems like another training exercise. And I don't think it has the replay value of other games. Not that that's always a bad thing mind you.

Also, I'm glad to see Skyrim not on someone's list as number one. While I personally think it belongs in my top five, I'm just not sure it should be one. It just came out relatively recently and therefore, unlike games like Portal 2, is still fresh on everyones' minds.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I went out and bought Atom Zombie Smasher based on your recommendation. It was a lot of fun, but I found it way too easy (at least once you get the llama bomb). Plus the story was completely incomprehensible. The gameplay was solid though, and that's the only thing that matters.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Now that's a list for me: There are puzzle, platformer and puzzle-platformer games.
I <3 that

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
GeorgW said:
I went out and bought Atom Zombie Smasher based on your recommendation. It was a lot of fun, but I found it way too easy (at least once you get the llama bomb). Plus the story was completely incomprehensible. The gameplay was solid though, and that's the only thing that matters.
If that's the case, I'd encourage you to take advantage of some of the modifiers in the game. You can ramp up the difficulty with the right combination.

Though with the procedural generation, it can be harder playing it the second time for reasons beyond your control.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:
If that's the case, I'd encourage you to take advantage of some of the modifiers in the game. You can ramp up the difficulty with the right combination.

Though with the procedural generation, it can be harder playing it the second time for reasons beyond your control.
Oh, definitely, I'm not done with the game. Any tips for mods?

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
GeorgW said:
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:

Not any player made mods I'm afraid. Of just the modifiers on the settings screen I find Alternate Spawning combined with Permadeath to be pretty fun.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:

Not any player made mods I'm afraid. Of just the modifiers on the settings screen I find Alternate Spawning combined with Permadeath to be pretty fun.
Sounds like a pain... What do they do?

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
GeorgW said:
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:

Alt. Spawning makes the Zed spawn randomly in the middle of the map (but less spawn overall). Permadeath removes the ability to retry a mission. It makes things much more intense without being completely un-manageable, unless you get really unlucky with what mercenaries you get.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:
Jopoho said:
GeorgW said:

Alt. Spawning makes the Zed spawn randomly in the middle of the map (but less spawn overall). Permadeath removes the ability to retry a mission. It makes things much more intense without being completely un-manageable, unless you get really unlucky with what mercenaries you get.
Sounds like fun, I did feel it was kinda weird that you had unlimited retries. Thanks for the tip!

mad_mick

Jul 19, 2008
sadly i have not played any of these games, but...actually..im not sad..not one little bit. portal i get, the first one was brilliant. but super Mario? cumon man, Nintendo want you to but get another game about a fat Italian plumber just because its on a shiny new console. do you think there's a market for a game revolving around a little fat carpenter saving brunettes from fish?? Rayman? i had that game on the ps1. i love retro games but i think we have ssssooooo much more on offer these days and i personally cant justify forking out for a game i had ten years ago.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Kapol said:
Haven't played Rayman, but I have played the rest. I'm not the biggest fan of Spacechem. It's an interesting game and the number of possible solutions is nice, but... it's just not my kind of game. Atom Zombie Smasher is good. It can be frustrating and hard to get used to, but it's still fun. And Portal 2 was excellent. I have very few problems with it besides the fact I thought the story mode was a bit rubbish. Training exercise, Training Exercise, Training, more training, etc, then the 'real purpose' which really just seems like another training exercise. And I don't think it has the replay value of other games. Not that that's always a bad thing mind you.

Also, I'm glad to see Skyrim not on someone's list as number one. While I personally think it belongs in my top five, I'm just not sure it should be one. It just came out relatively recently and therefore, unlike games like Portal 2, is still fresh on everyones' minds.
Thank you.
Someone who doesn?t have Skyrim on their list.
So I know everybody loves Skyrim and everything but at this point I?m so tired of hearing about it, I don?t even want to play it anymore. All the reviewers are saying how amazing it is and all the gamers are saying how broken it is. I just moved Batman AC to the top of my Q.

I would also have to say that Portal 2 is the game I most enjoyed this year...but we got a hell of a lot of crap in the past year. Look at these lists. Besides Paul, here, they all seem to have the same games on their list. It's like they were all brainwashed.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Kapol said:

Thank you.
Someone who doesn?t have Skyrim on their list.
So I know everybody loves Skyrim and everything but at this point I?m so tired of hearing about it, I don?t even want to play it anymore. All the reviewers are saying how amazing it is and all the gamers are saying how broken it is. I just moved Batman AC to the top of my Q.

I would also have to say that Portal 2 is the game I most enjoyed this year...but we got a hell of a lot of crap in the past year. Look at these lists. Besides Paul, here, they all seem to have the same games on their list. It's like they were all brainwashed.
Well, to be fair, it is a very good game. There are bugs. And some of them are gamebreaking (like the memory issues for PS3). But it is still an amazing game. But at the same time, I'm also tired of hearing about it all the time. Thankfully we seem to be pulling out of the phase.

And there have been quite a few good games. The problem is that most of them came out a while ago and weren't always AAA games. I can barely remember all the games that came out this year. But it's not uncommon for lists to be close to the same when the biggest names were supposed to be some of the best ever made (Portal 2, Skryim, Arkham City, etc).