So Long, and Thanks For All The Flesh

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I think I enjoyed this column more then any other they had on the site, maybe Dr. Mark but that isn't weekly. It was fun while it lasted so thank you for that.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
This has saddened me. It's been great reading your advice to people, I'll miss it. Wish you luck with everything and a Happy New Year!
Lara Crigger said:
With that, goodbye, good luck, and remember: Don't stick it in the crazy.
You betcha.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
That... kinda sucked. I saw the title and expected it, but hoped that I was wrong. It's too bad because aside from Yahtzee's and Bob's columns, I didn't read any others religiously. Farewell, you will be missed.

(PS, mind if I bother to ask why? This seems rather sudden)

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Nuuuu! ;~;

But if Love FAQ is going I would like to propose that something similar is introduced.
And if it would be possible to know what Lara Crigger goes on to do, colour me interested for that.

Also, is Ask Dr. Mark still going on? I know it's not weekly though.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Aw, man. And I had just started to read these regularly, too.

Well, I hope that whatever you do next goes well. Good luck.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Well must say I'm not happy but if this column was any indication anything you decide to do next will be successful. God luck.

Karl AMD

Aug 25, 2010
I read this all the time and I'm not kidding it has actually helped me a lot, I'll miss this column more than anything. Thank you Lara

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
This is really sad to hear. Now I think there are no regularly columns done by women. The only thing left that I like is Tales from the Table and that will probably be done soon as well.

What is left are all the misogynists and rape apologists on the forums. And for all the forum health system...they keep talking trash about women with little consequence. Many of whom would show up and hassle you in the threads of your wonderful posts. I don't know if any of those Nice Guys (TM) were part of the reason you are going, but I'm sorry you had to deal with them. I've been here since 2006...and I don't think I'll be here much longer.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Damn... Another excellent Escapist feature gone...

Lara, I greatly enjoyed reading this column each week and wish you were not leaving.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Meh, no loss at all.

For a relationship advice section on a gaming website, the feature has been basically useless to the majority of it's readers.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I expected articles geared towards helping nerds/geeks start dating and maintain relationships.

Also Lara almost seemed to have something against struggling men. There were a few articles where it seemed she was being really rude to a guy who didn't seem to know what he was doing.

To any people with clout reading my post, how about having articles that cover what I mentioned?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Lara Crigger said:
Relationships aren't a game you can min/max. Neither are they deadly serious matters of life-and-death. Love is about joy, companionship and comfort, and its purpose is to make both the dark and light parts of life seem a little brighter in comparison. Good relationships are rarely ever effortless, but the work you put into them is generally its own best reward.

Good relationships can be distilled to a few key ingredients: Trust. Respect. Communication. Especially communication. If problems arise in a relationship, 90% of the time they can be fixed simply by talking more - whether to each other, to a therapist, or simply to the man or woman in the mirror.

I once wrote that we are all a little broken inside, and that the secret to lasting love wasn't finding that perfect someone, but rather that special someone whose broken parts fit against your broken parts. True, that can seem no less daunting a task, but here's the other half of that advice: We're all on this road together. We all want to find love, to help each other out and be helped in return. So treat people as you would care to be treated, and you will find that those around you will generally answer in kind-which maybe isn't the newest counsel, but it still rings true.
These three points here are the most important things I've ever heard anyone write/say on partnered relationships. For someone who is NOT a psychiatrist, psychologist or therapist, ma'am you are one wise woman and must have been through a lot in your life, or been observant of other people's woe's.
Hats off to you, lady and may you have a happy New Year.
Best wishes in your future endeavors here on The Escapist.

Maxtro said:
Meh, no loss at all.

For a relationship advice section on a gaming website, the feature has been basically useless to the majority of it's readers.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I expected articles geared towards helping nerds/geeks start dating and maintain relationships.

Also Lara almost seemed to have something against struggling men. There were a few articles where it seemed she was being really rude to a guy who didn't seem to know what he was doing.

To any people with clout reading my post, how about having articles that cover what I mentioned?
Advice columns are just that, editorials. She also gave her credentials straight, she's not a professional, just trying to help.
And most of the guys getting the so-called rudeness were guys who just don't "get it". I've seen it before, guys who are in puppy-love with some chick who wants nothing to do with them, or uses them like a doormat, and won't listen to reason. Those guys you have to whack them upside the head with something; be it rudeness, a stick, fist, fecal matter (don't recommend).

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
you know, when I read this article plus the comments, this is what came to my mind:

Sonic Unleashed - Dear my Friend [www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEGKcWHqhZQ]

No! Sit down and listen!

Anyway, I secretly just read these things when I could or just saw them. For some reason, I liked the advice and the advice some forum members gave out. I guess I'm just naturally curious.

Anyway,

amaranth_dru said:
Hats off to you, lady and may you have a happy New Year.
Best wishes in your future endeavors here on The Escapist.
PS: I thank you for your guts in making this an escapist feature.