Updated: EA Accidentally Announces Command & Conquer 4

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Updated: EA Accidentally Announces Command & Conquer 4

Somebody over at EA's public relations office in the UK is getting fired right now, because the company mistakenly updated their Twitter with an announcement for Command & Conquer 4.

You play with the internet, and you're gonna get burned. PR folks should know this better than anyone, considering how often things get leaked despite all their attempts to keep info airtight and locked down in a glass case of confidentiality. When exposing something to the public is as easy as clicking on a single button and releasing info to the entire world, well, you have to be careful.

That's the lesson Electronic Arts' PR branch in the UK learned today when somebody accidentally updated the company's Twitter with these words: "New release: EA LOS ANGELES ANNOUNCES THE DEVELOPMENT OF COMMAND & CONQUER 4" followed by a link to a press release...which didn't lead anywhere. The post was taken down, but luckily Joystiq snapped a screencap [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/08/ea-accidentally-announces-command-and-conquer-4/] ("pics or it didn't happen" is the adage appropriate here I believe).

Oops! Guess whoever was checking the Twitter and wanted to see what Shaquille O'Neal's eating for lunch and then mistakenly hit paste when they meant to hit something else must have gotten a stern talking to. Hope he/she still has a job, because it's rough out there.

Not that this comes as a total shock to me. EA's been making some noise about C&C4 lately, what with the online surveys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92623-Command-Conquer-4-Taking-Cues-From-MMOGs] they've been putting out to measure interest in the future of the game. In one survey they mentioned the possibility of the series taking on some MMOG-esque aspects. They might as well just come out with it now and let us know everything. The cat's out of the bag.

UPDATE: Guess this leak was only a day early, as EA have officially announced [http://www.commandandconquer.com/cnc4/index.html] C&C4 today. Developed by EA Los Angeles, the game will bring the Tiberium series to an "epic conclusion" and does indeed bring some RPG-y innovations to the series like "class-based gameplay" and "persistent player progression throughout all game modes."

Oh yeah, and it's PC exclusive.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Nice, I've been looking forward to a C&C4, and I'm happy that you humoured me through its announcement.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Good for us, bad for him.
Hopefully it will turn out good.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Shock horror crap games company churns out another sequel for a well known brand name - all hands up who didn't expect there to be a C&C4.....no one? Oh well then..

Just hope it's better than the last one, after playing supreme commander and seeing the potential they could take the C&C line in it was just downright awful trying to play 3.

And lets not forget their own mis-givings on the last Red Alert that then had to cover with T&A to try and divert from the awful mess they called a game.

Still - worked for me :eek:)

Plus - accidental leak or free worldwide coverage on every game related news outlet?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Yeah, the same way the "Meet the Spy" video was accidentally leaked by a Valve employee. Gotcha EA *wink, wink*

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I guess we can say here that a little birdy told us this ;)

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
This actually is a leak. For those of you who don't have the C&C newsletter, today's newsletter states:
...someone very near and dear to the heart of the C&C franchise will soon have a message for you, to be communicated world-wide in "early July".
They obviously wanted the announcement to come from this mystery person, and it wouldn't be too big a stretch to assume it is Joe Kucan.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Hmm that would explain this email I just got

It was on August 31, 1995 when the Command & Conquer franchise was introduced to the world with Tiberian Dawn and propelled the real-time-strategy genre in to the hearts of each and every one of YOU. Now, Command & Conquer fans, after 14 years, and 18 games across the Red Alert, Generals, and Tiberian universe, someone very near and dear to the heart of the C&C franchise will soon have a message for you, to be communicated world-wide in "early July". Make sure to bookmark CommandandConquer.com, as this person will drop his message at just the right time.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Ah, Twitter, spoiling more games existence than even David Jaffe's blog.
Well it will soon catch up but I'm decently sure that Jaffe is still number one.
, I mean c'mon he's [i/]David Fucking Jaffe[/i].

C&C may be one of my least favorite RTS's though to be honest.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
Generals was the last C&C game I liked. Wrath of Kane was sopposed to fix C&C3, instead it only made it worse... 4 is likely no different.

Quit while you're behind EA.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
I wonder what 4th faction EA will introduce

Probably try to tie in another franchise with it.

John Madden vs the scrin anyone?

RomanLegacy

May 6, 2009
Oh I am like so suprised. but not really.

Although I'd rather have C&C red alert 4 with all its communists with tesla magic powers and stuff.