Modern Warfare 2 Bumps Singularity Into Next Year

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 Bumps Singularity Into Next Year

Activision isn't trying to hide which FPS game they care more about pushing at the end of this year - they're delaying Singularity to Q1 2010 so that Modern Warfare 2 can get more time to shine in 2009.

Pity poor Singularity. If Activision-published FPSes are a family, then Singularity is like the sibling that Mama and Papa Activision love but don't really care about, at least for now. So who's their favorite kid? None other than Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2, of course.

"The level of excitement for Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 coming out of E3 well exceeded our expectations and therefore we have decided to move Raven's upcoming sci-fi first person action title, Singularity, from 2009 to Q1 2010," Activision told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5310440/activision-moves-singularity-out-of-modern-warfare-2s-way]. "We believe that the March quarter will provide a better opportunity to establish the new cutting-edge action IP as a 'must-have' title and clears the way for Modern Warfare 2 to dominate this holiday season."

Of course this doesn't have anything to do with Singularity getting in the way of Modern Warfare 2's sales - it's more the other way around. Activision wants to push Singularity, but they know that the game would get lost in all the hubbub surrounding everything else coming out at the end of the year, namely Modern Warfare 2.

So in that sense, they actually do care about Singularity - they're not pushing it out of the way to focus their attention on Modern Warfare 2, they're just putting it aside until there's a better time for it to shine. At least that's what Singularity can tell itself to stop from crying itself to sleep at night.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I feel this is a good move, due to how many people will pick Modern Warfare 2 over this. I have a strange feeling that Modern Warfare 2 will be a letdown, as most sequels are.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Makes sense to me. MW 2 has a lot of people eager to play it already that they won't play another FPS for a while

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
makes sense, but to be honest Singularity barely registers on my game-dar either way, so it really doesn't make a difference to me.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Eh, it's good to know that it's in the best interest of both games, but I still can't help but say "screw MW2, give me singularity!!". Give me potentially innovative FPS over a stupid, boring, over hyped stock FPS you dumb bastards.

Conveant0

Feb 4, 2009
More time for final polishing on Singularity, will just mean a better end product.

Conveant0

Feb 4, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Conveant0 said:
More time for final polishing on Singularity, will just mean a better end product.
Yes, all that extra time certainly helped Duke Nukem Forever.
Extra points for pessimism, but eitherway I'd rather give a game a few extra months on development, than just rush what could be a good game out into early release. Ever play SOCOM on the PS3?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Hrm... doesn't this mean that Singularity might also suffer, not being released in the holiday rush, when people feel better about buying more expensive gifts (i.e. $50 videogames)? That's what strikes me. Sounds like they're maximizing Modern Warfare 2's profits while also maximizing Singularity's profile. But good profile doesn't always equal good sales.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I never really saw Singularity as being all that fun.
I mean, it has some cool ideas, but it looks like Timeshift meets [Insert Gritty Shooter Here]

mad benji89

May 4, 2009
aww well i can wait there will be other games i can play untill its released so thats cool by me xD

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Radeonx said:
I feel this is a good move, due to how many people will pick Modern Warfare 2 over this. I have a strange feeling that Modern Warfare 2 will be a letdown, as most sequels are.
QFT Makes perfect sense to do this, even more so with the economy we're in. Why have two fo your products competing against each other for the same consumers? Smart move by Activision. If anything it gives them more time to polish Singularity so that it ends up being even better then it would be if it came out this year.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
This is a good move. This gives the devs more time to polish Singularity so that it will be a huge success when the MW2 craze has died down.

Conveant0

Feb 4, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Conveant0 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Conveant0 said:
Yes, all that extra time certainly helped Duke Nukem Forever.
Extra points for pessimism, but eitherway I'd rather give a game a few extra months on development, than just rush what could be a good game out into early release. Ever play SOCOM on the PS3?
But its still no garuntee that extra time will help, just that coming out early will usually mean the game is bad.
Nope, of course it isn't, however I'd presumme a developer like Activision would try and spend its time (and money) more wisely on a product they are trying to promote.
I'm not going to start defending a company I quite rightly care little about but if the game ends up failing for whatever reason, I doubt I'll be losing sleep after I looked forward to it a few months previous. If it ends up being a good game, then I get a bit more enjoyment from it, and hopefully the extra months mean a longer and/or more immersive, bug free (Or less in general) end product.

Sorry why did this start? I'm unable to see any point you're trying to put across?

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Bigeyez said:
Radeonx said:
QFT Makes perfect sense to do this, even more so with the economy we're in. Why have two fo your products competing against each other for the same consumers? Smart move by Activision. If anything it gives them more time to polish Singularity so that it ends up being even better then it would be if it came out this year.
This.

Though maybe it would be better, as it would mean that Activision would have better dominance over the market. Still its not always good to compete with yourself.