Chromatic Typewriter Turns Prose into Paintings

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Chromatic Typewriter Turns Prose into Paintings

A new invention from a Washington painter can transform any string of letters or words into a reproducible work of art.

Have you ever heard of synesthesia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia]? It's a fascinating concept. The five human senses - sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch - misfire in some people, causing them to "taste" sounds, "see" flavors, or associate words and numbers with colors. This concept has fascinated writers and artists for generations, and its latest learner is a Washington-based painter named Tyree Callahan. After becoming interested in the interplay between words and art, Callahan created a device that could connect the two: a chromatic typewriter. Instead of inked letters, this apparatus dispenses splashes of color, making it possible to transform anything from a grocery list to Great Expectations into a full-color painting.

Callahan's paintings [http://tyreecallahan.blogspot.com/] reveal that his art concerns itself with the interplay of light, shadow, and color. The chromatic typewriter is no exception. Without giving away the exact impetus behind the typewriter, he explains that his home, the Pacific Northwest has inspired much of his art. "I live in an environment that can produce both vivid and somber landscapes, often both within an hour." The typewriter itself is fairly simple in concept, if not execution. It replaces a standard keyboard with a rainbow palette. There are no letters on the keys, but anyone who can type without looking at the keyboard can create a work of art. "It seems to be making a lot of people happy and it has started some great discussions on the translation of art into words and words into art," says Callahan. "And folks with synesthesia seem to like it the most!"

At present, you can vote for the typewriter's inclusion in West Collects [http://westcollects.com/westCollection/], a modern art gallery. The voting process is only open to iDevice users, but Callahan would appreciate your votes just the same. "You'll be quite happy to know that every vote for the typewriter saves a precious kitten from the tortures of hell." Support a creative art project and save a kitty? That sounds like a win-win.

Source: Colossal [http://tyreecallahan.blogspot.com/]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Great idea. I love the innovation behind this idea. As an aside, synesthesia is often misinterpreted by people and what it means exactly. Everyone knows the definition it would seem, but there are quite a few people out there that misinterpret what it means. It's not an amazing different way to see the world. You could have it, and not even know it unless someone diagnosed you with it. Still, great innovation.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I don't really see much of difference between this and what I do with pixels as an artist in program like Photoshop. The only difference is I get change a pixel if I mess up. I want to see an actual version of it working though before I could really judge it. Right now it just an idea. My ideal art is very Platonic, driven by need, aesthetic, and mastery. Not some wishy-washy emotional crap that a so-called artist put some form of pigment to a blank sheet and called it art. They guy who paints my house is more of an artist then they will ever be.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's still a neat invention, no matter how frivolous it seems to you. Computer art loses a lot of texture when it translates to the real world...otherwise you'd see people bidding millions on image files.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Now it's only a matter of time before someone gets a print of the Lord of the Rings book at the ceiling of some convention center >_>

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
This is awesome: Andy Warhol would have typed in shopping lists and get Marilyns and Dali would have typed in long eloquent phrases and gotten melted clocks. I personally wouldn't have shared my invention and used it to make art personally

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
weirdguy said:
It's still a neat invention, no matter how frivolous it seems to you. Computer art loses a lot of texture when it translates to the real world...otherwise you'd see people bidding millions on image files.
Surely the reason you don't see people bidding millions on image files is that they can be trivially copied? An item of any kind is worth more if there are a restricted number of them. Hence why originals are worth more than limited edition prints, and limited editions are worth more than unlimited ones.

But I agree with you that there's something "not quite the same" about a computer-generated picture vs one in real paint right in front of you.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
so if I typed in my shopping list will I get a painting of a burger?

mmmmmm burger!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, the same way I can open a picture file with a word processor and get a stream of meaningless letters, I can type a document with a printer and get a stream of meaningless colours?

Um, yay?

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
thaluikhain said:
So, the same way I can open a picture file with a word processor and get a stream of meaningless letters, I can type a document with a printer and get a stream of meaningless colours?

Um, yay?
You're not even a little curious to type up pages from, say, Austen, Dickens, James, Conrad, Hemingway, Woolf, Orwell, and McCarthy and see how they stack up to each other?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
thaluikhain said:

Um, yay?
You're not even a little curious to type up pages from, say, Austen, Dickens, James, Conrad, Hemingway, Woolf, Orwell, and McCarthy and see how they stack up to each other?
Nope. The end result is going to be essentially random in all cases. Why not take those texts and change the font to Wingdings and compare them?

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Know what I love most about Synesthesia? How it let's you drink the colours of the world.

Bad puns aside, I do love this idea and invention. I'm afraid it's a bit wasted on me though. I can't draw, can't write a good story... What irks me most is how much those ink ribbons will cost! You think printer cartridges are costly?

EDIT:
Marshall Honorof said:
I must admit... I would love to see the interpretive paintings of War of the Worlds and Day of the Triffids...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Baresark said:
Great idea. I love the innovation behind this idea. As an aside, synesthesia is often misinterpreted by people and what it means exactly. Everyone knows the definition it would seem, but there are quite a few people out there that misinterpret what it means. It's not an amazing different way to see the world. You could have it, and not even know it unless someone diagnosed you with it. Still, great innovation.
It's similar to what happens with autism (specifically Asperger's). People that don't know much about it (nearly everyone) tend to treat it like superpowers...

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Marshall Honorof said:
thaluikhain said:

Um, yay?
Nope. The end result is going to be essentially random in all cases. Why not take those texts and change the font to Wingdings and compare them?
Agreed with this. There's just too little difference between the distinct letters. That, and synesthesia often triggers a sense based upon the context of a word, not the letters that are in the word.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
weirdguy said:
Surely the reason you don't see people bidding millions on image files is that they can be trivially copied? An item of any kind is worth more if there are a restricted number of them. Hence why originals are worth more than limited edition prints, and limited editions are worth more than unlimited ones.

But I agree with you that there's something "not quite the same" about a computer-generated picture vs one in real paint right in front of you.
With 3D printers, the advent of duplicating objects visually comes ever closer...

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
i was kind of hoping that you'd type in a word or a sentence and it paints it...........somehow, ah well sure a lot of people will like this like those impressionist paintings that don't make any bloody sense