Finer Points: Part Two

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Finer Points: Part Two

This week, we look at State-Based Actions.

Read Full Article

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I've been casually playing magic for the last 14 years. Shoot, I just learned something today. My boyfriend loves playing armadillo cloak, on some of my big creatures, now I can link to your article and be like :D AH-HA!

Cody Holden

May 4, 2011
I can't wait for this column to get finished with all the tutorial writing and actually start talking about the game...

That said, it's a good damn article. I see a lot of potential here.

Also, I learned today that Armadillo Cloak has a triggered ability. That's good to know.

IridRadiant

May 31, 2008
I've got a couple of questions: if State-based actions cause effects before any other action can be put on the stack - as in your Healing Salve example, how does that not affect the destruction of the Drudge Skeletons before you can use Regeneration? What about the interaction of lifelink and a card like Norn's Annex - would you be able to attack if your life was at 2 to get the healing from the ability?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
IridRadiant said:
I've got a couple of questions: if State-based actions cause effects before any other action can be put on the stack - as in your Healing Salve example, how does that not affect the destruction of the Drudge Skeletons before you can use Regeneration? What about the interaction of lifelink and a card like Norn's Annex - would you be able to attack if your life was at 2 to get the healing from the ability?
Because the damage is caused by the spell which does go onto the stack first. So you are adding your regeneration before the spell goes off which applies the damage. You can regenerate in response to the card being played but you can't regenerate in response to the damage itself.

And for the second, I don't think you could. You have to pay the life cost when you declare attackers, but there are steps between that and when you actually deal the damage. So you'll have hit 0 life and will loose before your creatures can heal your life total back up.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
IridRadiant said:
Lightning Bolt is a spell waiting to resolve on the stack before it actually deals any damage, instants don't happen instantly being an instant means you can cast it any time you have priority, for Lightning Bolt to resolve both players have to pass priority so he gets a chance to activate Drudge Skeletons regeneration.

There is no interaction between Norn's Annex and lifelink. Norn's Annex creates a cost that must be payed as attackers are declared, so if you're at 2 life with no white mana you have to pay all your life to let one of your creatures attack, then you lose the next time SBA's are checked which would be after attackers are declared before any players gets priority during the Declare Attackers step, which is well before Combat Damage.

Savvy?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Well, here's my current deck for you people to have a look at: http://deckbox.org/sets/111373

I'm probably gonna end up sideboarding Smoke and the other more specific cards for more Impulses, but we'll see what happens.

Enjoy!

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I just got the Magic 2012 game on Steam, an Intro Pack and another booster for Christmas, and plan on getting a Deck Building Kit this weekend. I just plan on playing with my brother, but I'm learning...

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Well, here's my current deck for you people to have a look at: http://deckbox.org/sets/111373

I'm probably gonna end up sideboarding Smoke and the other more specific cards for more Impulses, but we'll see what happens.

Enjoy!
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is your deck trying to do? I imagine it's some sort of combo deck, but I'm not sure how it actually wins. (just confused really)

OT: great article! State based actions are some of the most subtle things in the game and you explained them very well.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Enjoy!
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is your deck trying to do? I imagine it's some sort of combo deck, but I'm not sure how it actually wins. (just confused really)

OT: great article! State based actions are some of the most subtle things in the game and you explained them very well.
Stalls/searches until both goblin bombardment and enduring renewal are out along with any of the 0 cost creatures then kills you with them in a revival loop.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Enjoy!

Stalls/searches until both goblin bombardment and enduring renewal are out along with any of the 0 cost creatures then kills you with them in a revival loop.
Ah yes now I see it. Looks pretty cool. Wish I could give more comment than that but I'm fairly terrible when it comes to making a combo deck (obviously enough I can barely even figure out the combos)

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Enjoy!

Ah yes now I see it. Looks pretty cool. Wish I could give more comment than that but I'm fairly terrible when it comes to making a combo deck (obviously enough I can barely even figure out the combos)
Took me a few minutes to see it myself before I went ooooo.

>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<
3 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls
4 Desperate Ravings
4 Desperate Ritual
2 Empty the Warrens
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Grapeshot
4 Manamorphose
3 Past in Flames
4 Pyretic Ritual
3 Pyromancer Ascension
4 Seething Song
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
Sideboard
3 Dispel
2 Early Frost
2 Echoing Truth
2 Telemin Performance
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Shattering Spree

This is basically my modern combo deck.

fultob2

Nov 12, 2009
Friend of mine has a zombie deck, and pulls this trick a lot: he activates tainted sigil, then before the stack resolves activates a shepherd of rot (so the shepherd ability resolves first). If the shepherd causes enough damage to drop him to zero, would he lose before the sigil restores his life loss? Or does the State-Based check happen after the stack resolves?

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
fultob2 said:
Friend of mine has a zombie deck, and pulls this trick a lot: he activates tainted sigil, then before the stack resolves activates a shepherd of rot (so the shepherd ability resolves first). If the shepherd causes enough damage to drop him to zero, would he lose before the sigil restores his life loss? Or does the State-Based check happen after the stack resolves?
So after the shepherd's ability resolves, state-based actions are checked again (since someone gets priority). If any player's life total is below zero at this point, that player loses the game. So if he went to or below zero life, he would lose with sigil still on the stack.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Enjoy!

Took a while to sort out, but he's trying to get Goblin Bombardment and Enduring Renewal out with a zero-cost creature.

Mana base seems... okay.

Smoke, Relic Ward, and Brows are... well they're not really helping as much. Browse ends up being 8 mana to sift for one card, which is terrible in a format where you could be brainstorming, telling time, pondering, or otherwise being impulsive.

Ersatz Gnomes? Thunder Totem? They do nothing.

Boros signets could be coalition relics, which would make your mana better.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'm sitting here trying to remember when they actually changed zero or negative life to check on SBA instead of end of phase. Now that I think back on it, it wasn't end of phase at the time, it was called end of step. I want to say it was 96 or 97.

There was a time when you could go for a short period of time with zero or less life until the end of a step, meaning that there are games where the winner had negative life totals, because the other players were forced to draw from empty decks, which was an instant loss condition.

Cody Holden

May 4, 2011
vxicepickxv said:
I'm sitting here trying to remember when they actually changed zero or negative life to check on SBA instead of end of phase. Now that I think back on it, it wasn't end of phase at the time, it was called end of step. I want to say it was 96 or 97.

There was a time when you could go for a short period of time with zero or less life until the end of a step, meaning that there are games where the winner had negative life totals, because the other players were forced to draw from empty decks, which was an instant loss condition.
It was probably before The Big Revision in 6th edition. That's when interrupts got rolled into instants, the stack got turned into an actual thing (IIRC), and a bunch of other differences that made the game a lot easier to puzzle out (but made the actual hardware a good deal more complicated).

Encaen

May 6, 2005
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Took me a few minutes to see it myself before I went ooooo.

>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<
3 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls
4 Desperate Ravings
4 Desperate Ritual
2 Empty the Warrens
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Grapeshot
4 Manamorphose
3 Past in Flames
4 Pyretic Ritual
3 Pyromancer Ascension
4 Seething Song
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
Sideboard
3 Dispel
2 Early Frost
2 Echoing Truth
2 Telemin Performance
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Shattering Spree

This is basically my modern combo deck.
That deck is terrifying! Storm decks hit my radar recently and I've been fascinated with them since. I've playtested a few games with this build and I'm pretty impressed with how it works. Since I'm pretty new to Storm, what's the ideal draw here? I'm curious if it's feasible to go off on Turn 2.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
DracoSuave said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Enjoy!

Took a while to sort out, but he's trying to get Goblin Bombardment and Enduring Renewal out with a zero-cost creature.

Mana base seems... okay.

Smoke, Relic Ward, and Brows are... well they're not really helping as much. Browse ends up being 8 mana to sift for one card, which is terrible in a format where you could be brainstorming, telling time, pondering, or otherwise being impulsive.

Ersatz Gnomes? Thunder Totem? They do nothing.

Boros signets could be coalition relics, which would make your mana better.
I am aware of all of these, yes. The Ersatz gnomes can be useful, though. It makes colour protection easier to get around which can be fairly important. Smoke is there because of many sliver decks in my meta.

Relic Wards are a remnant from an older version including Mangara's Tome. Browse has actually been fairly useful in the past, it was mostly a "they looks cool, throw it in." As for Coalition Relics, I don't own any, sadly. To be honest, though, I've never actually had mana issues in that deck, colour or number-wise.

So yeah, basically all of the issues with this deck is just having sideboards in the maindeck.

Thanks for the tips, though.

vxicepickxv said:

Yeah, that change happened in the M10 rule changes, I think.