55: John Romero: The Escapist Interview

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"Romero. Perhaps it's something about the name itself that brings to mind great things. Some combination of etymological triggers, perhaps; a heady mental mixture that's part romance, part Camaro - sex in a Z28." Russ Pitts speaks with legendary game designer John Romero.
John Romero: The Escapist Interview

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Russ, on top of a great article, I do believe you've invented a fun new web game: The Etymological Last Name Trigger game.

Romero is 1 part romance, 1 part Camaro: Sex in a Z28.
Macris is 1 part Macintosh, 1 part Toyota Yaris: Oodles of processing power in a fuel-efficient hunchback.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Pitts? 1 part pi, 1 part ... jubblies? So you get the circumference of Russ by multiplying the radius of jubblies by 3.14? That's not right.

Jul 27, 2006
The interview was shallow, with very little new information. But the worst is that your web pages look like crap in Firefox (with the setting: minimum font size none), the pages don't scale down to non-maximized windows (horizontal scroll bar), larger fonts overflow the bottom navigation menu. Not to mention the too small font used. Dude, this isn't a print magazine, this is a web page.

BTW: This is the only reason I made the effort to register on your site. I probably won't be coming back.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Thanks for that stunning contribution. No, really.

But, for the sake of those people who may suffer our "shallow" interviews in the future, I'll point out that the nav bar in the lower-right-hand corner (you know, right above the horizontal scroll bar you noticed) of the articles has a "text" link, which loads into a more web-friendly layout for people who prefer that. In this article's case, it's here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/print/55/3

And on another note, if this is all you contribute to discussion in general, I don't want you coming back.

Thanks for reading!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
But tell us what you really think, Peter ... and is "Reaper" your real name? What's the average flight velocity of a sparrow? Wait, wait ... *sigh* so much to talk about. It's a shame he's gone.

Narrator

Jul 11, 2006
Don't fear the Reaper, baby. (I could get more immature about somebody giving themselves a name with the words "peter" and "reaper" sitting next to each other. But I won't.)

...Because I'm pretty new to The Escapist and I absolutely heart you guys! I'm less informed than our peter reaping friend about Mr. Romero's doings, but, even if I'd read up on Romero elsewhere, I guarantee it wouldn't have been put together with such great writing.

GunShy

Jul 27, 2006
For those that care to keep up with his activies, Mr. Romero maintains a blog at http://rome.ro

I just started reading the escapist an issue or two ago and I'm loving it!

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Peter, Peter, pumpkin reaper.

Edit: And Google reveals that the only reason Peter Reaper registers on ANY site is to shill for Firefox. So his rage is predictable and it's probably just as well that he never ever return.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I can't believe Anachronox got bad reviews - it was a great funny RPG; ok, it had bugs, but what didn't back then?