"Amazing" Should be Banished From the English Language

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
"Amazing" Should be Banished From the English Language

"Amazing," "man cave" and "baby bump" top this year's list of abused, misused and just plain overused terms.

"There is nothing wrong, really, with any word - all are good," wrote E.B. White in his famous revision of William Strunk's guide to good writing, The Elements of Style, "all are good."

The people at, the rather aptly named, Lake Superior State University disagree. Every year they hold a popular survey to determine which words should be forcefully removed from the English language, either because they're over-used, used incorrectly or simply hideous. The list has been running since 1975, when former public relations director Bill Rabe came up with the idea at a New Year's Eve Party.

"Amazing" seems to have lexical guardians up in arms this year, with people writing in from all over the world to express their disdain for the term.

"Every talk show uses this word at least two times every five minutes," wrote one irate elocutionist. "Hair is not 'amazing.' Shoes are not 'amazing.' There are any number of adjectives that are far more descriptive. I saw Martha Stewart use the word 'amazing' six times in the first five minutes of her television show. Help!"

"The word which once aptly described the process of birth is now used to describe such trivial things as toast, or the color of a shirt," wrote another.

"Baby bump," often used to refer to a woman's stomach during pregnancy because "gut" sounds unpleasant and "tummy" makes anyone over the age of thirty sound like a sexual predator, came in a close second.

"Occupy," as in Wall Street, earned some ire as well.

"'Occupy Wall Street' grew to become Occupy 'insert name of your city here' all over the country. It should be banished because of the media overuse and now people use it all the time, i.e. 'I guess we will occupy your office and have the meeting there.' 'We are headed to Grandma's house - Occupy Thanksgiving is under way."

The list also included a few words that aren't really words at all. "Ginormous" and "trickeration," which sound like something George W. Bush would say if his speeches were written by Dr. Seuss, both made the list. As did aggravating arse-speak phrases like "win the future," "thank you in advance," "the new normal" and "shared sacrifice."

Personally, I've always subscribed to Stephen Fry's linguistic philosophy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY], but if I did have to ban a set of words, I'd probably go with "knee," "arrow," "in" and "the." Not in that order.

Source: LSSU [http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php] via The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/05/amazing-vote-words-banned-banished?CMP=twt_fd]

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
So, is "epic" finally having its usage cut down? I hope so. Anyone remember that time when absolutely everything was "epic"? Man, that was awful.

Also, I learned something from this article: Martha Stewart has a television show. I did not know that.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
I'd probably go with "knee," "arrow," "in" and "the." Not in that order.
And Grey's Hammer of Judgment falls once again! Well seeing as how that particular phrase seems to finally be breathing its last I can't complain.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
This is amazingly stupid. Suck on that burn sauce, you self-important bastards.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
If anything, I would go with Awesome. I'm guilty of abusing that word myself, but it seems people use it so lightly. "That sundae was awesome". As in, it is the best sundae you've ever tasted and it cannot be surpassed by anything else? Or maybe "Cool" and "story" and "bro".

But on the other hand, I don't mind as much. Like that guy said, they're just words. Words are not at fault if someone misuses/overuses them. So eh.

If anything, ban words that are not real, such as "I GOOGLED that". I mean...even if they accepted as official words later on. But you know...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Vicarious Reality said:
I nominate ''hate'', ''low'' and ''high'' or te misused category
I was gonna hate the word low, then I got high

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Can we include 'gimmicky' in there? That word has basically turned into 'any idea I don't like.'

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Mad and troll, pretty much a typical scenario, some posts something, somebody will disagree and call the guy a troll, then somebody else or the original poster will go U MAD BRO? And then I want to kill everyone involved in that conversation.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
They just jealous of my man cave.
What the hell is a man cave? I'm reluctant to google it out of fear for what I'll see...

OT: Awesome is very overused, but I don't mind so much. It's a perfectly cromulent word.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I love you for suggested banning of knee arrow the in. Most irritating phrase in gaming right now.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
What the hell is a man cave? I'm reluctant to google it out of fear for what I'll see...
A secluded place where a man has where everything is to his liking and he is free to do whatever it is that he does, though what that means varies depending on who you ask. My man cave is where I play video games and watch movies on a big tv.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
SonicWaffle said:
A secluded place where a man has where everything is to his liking and he is free to do whatever it is that he does, though what that means varies depending on who you ask. My man cave is where I play video games and watch movies on a big tv.
Huh. That's...not exactly what I was expecting :p

So my man cave would be like my living room, because that's where the armchair, the TV and the xbox are as well as being only a few feet away from the fridge? Interesting.

Feb 13, 2008
and "tummy" makes anyone over the age of thirty sound like a sexual predator
Huh? Since when. Fornicate that drivel.

Personally I'd go for "Fantastic", "-gate" and "-ism", "Literally", "Actually" and anything ever muttered by the TOWIE lot.

(Non-UK people: The Only Way Is Essex makes Jersey Shore look like Frasier)

I wouldn't ban them so much as to only let them free when needed. Not every damn sentence.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
English is the most malleable and insane language in existence. Considering it borrows from every other language and bastardizes legitimate words, I'd say Martha Stewart abusing the word "awesome" is the least of their worries.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Daymo said:
Mad and troll, pretty much a typical scenario, some posts something, somebody will disagree and call the guy a troll, then somebody else or the original poster will go U MAD BRO? And then I want to kill everyone involved in that conversation.
U MAD BRO? (sorry)

On topic: They want to ban occupy just because of it becoming a meme I mean really?

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Drejer43 said:
Daymo said:
U MAD BRO? (sorry)

On topic: They want to ban occupy just because of it becoming a meme I mean really?
You know what we have to do then. Occupy Lake Superior State University

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
This is so stupid. I honestly have no idea what to make of this... Or why I'm even posting on this topic.

May 28, 2009
I'll know I've hit rock bottom if I've got nothing better to do than publish a list of words that should be banned. It's probably a bit of fun seeing as it could never be enforced, just it's fun for what sound like slightly insufferable people.