Amy Developer Polls Fans On Game Price

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Amy Developer Polls Fans On Game Price

Facebook poll asks potential Amy purchasers if a three dollar saving is worth a one week delay.

Something odd is going on with Amy's pricing structure. The upcoming survival-horror game, which bears a pleasant resemblance to ICO judging by what we've seen so far [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114025-Amy-Developer-Plays-Down-ICO-Comparisons], was originally slated to cost $12.99 on PSN and 800 Microsoft points on XBLA. Now, people who've taken the time to look up the exchange rate for Microsoft's unintuitive moon-money will tell you that, in the US, 80 points equates into one dollar, meaning the PSN version would cost three dollars more than its XBLA counterpart.

The game's publisher, Lexis Numérique, puts the disparity down to the current exchange rate between the euro and the dollar. In Europe, 800 points cost around €10, which equates into $12.73 given the current exchange rate. While the prices are equal in Europe, they're slightly off-balance in the States.

The developer has responded to complaints about the pricing disparity by starting a Facebook poll [https://apps.facebook.com/opinionpolls/poll?pid=AB7wI1BfT7Y], asking if players would rather pay the inflated price and receive the game on time, or have the price cut and face a delayed launch date. The price would be cut to $9.99 and the launch date set back by one week. Currently, the cheaper version holds 70% of the vote. So chances are Amy has been delayed by one week on PSN. The XBLA version is still on track for release this Wednesday.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
Europeans always pay more for their games.
it would have been nice to see Americans pay more for once.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
As an Xbox owner, it's times like this I'm glad the Germans invented the word schadenfreude.
Exactly how I will feel when the game comes out on Steam and goes on a crazy sale.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
While i think its a positive thing that the devs are doing something like this to get feedback from the community.. unless im missing something, why would delaying the game by 1 week on the ps3 mean they can sell it cheaper? Unless their logic is that delaying on the ps3 would shift sales the the xbox where they wouldnt loss any money... or something.. im tired :(

andrewbrownster2

Dec 30, 2009
As an Australia, I really don't care about your games costing $3 more. We still have new games going for $90 - $110. = P

But it is interested how much of an impact the exchange rate can have on downloadable titles.

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
I'm REALLY looking forward to this game. It looks great and I could use another good horror thrill ever since Amnesia.

Getting this for the Xbox 360 since it'll be $10 no matter what.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I honestly don't see the problem. Just change the price, release it a day later. While three dollars isn't that much, unless you are quite living hand to mouth in which case get rid of your fucking console!....one week isn't that long. That's nothing to the decade people waited for Duke Nukem Forever, or the five years between A Song of Ice and Fire books, or the decades between the Dark Tower books, or the seven years to get to the end of Lost. Or spending that time replaying an old game or two.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Okay, I just have to say it.

If three dollars is that big of a deal to you, do you really have enough money to be spending it on video games?

Three bucks people, three miserable little bucks.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
saejox said:
it would have been nice to see Americans pay more for once.
What an irritatingly bitter sentiment. How about everyone pay an equivalent and fair price? Surely you'd survive with one less reason to act like a xenophobe.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
This looks mildly interesting. Its a shame however that I cant play this on my PS3 due to Sony writing an illegal Terms of service agreement that prevents me from updating my ps3 and thus prevents me from accessing anything on the PSN at all (or even online play for that matter)

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Here in Canada a $20 Microsoft point card only gets you 1400 points. meaning we get 70 points for the dollar. Problem is that we are still charged the same amount of points as americans. Which is extremely unfair and the reason why I have yet to get points on the Xbox.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
saejox said:
it would have been nice to see Americans fix their money conversion bullshit.
fixed that for you.

Here in Canada a $20 Microsoft point card only gets you 1400 points. meaning we get 70 points for the dollar. Problem is that we are still charged the same amount of points as americans. Which is extremely unfair and the reason why I have yet to get points on the Xbox.
that's because Canadian dollar is worth less than American dollar.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Are people really griping over $3? I'm still on the fence about this one, not really got an inerest in horror games but we shall see. If theres a demo coming for PSN then I may just take a gander