... And The Rest

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
... And The Rest

MovieBob gives you a list of movies that he's sort of looking forward to this upcoming year.

Read Full Article

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Aww.. no Expendables 2? Heh Well, that one's on my personal want to see list for this year.

I'm actually really looking forward to The Hunger Games. Despite it's target audience, there's actually a lot to like in the books. It is in no way shape or form even close to Twilight. I too, however, an disappointed by the trailers. Maybe I was hoping the movie would skew more Bladerunner or something (yeah, I know, not likely but I was hoping), but the trailer is actually just sort of meh. If I wasn't a fan of the books and the concept, I'd actually have Hunger Games on my skip it list just by basing things on the trailer.

Also, Lady In Black does look like it's shaping up really well. My only issue is that, yes, I can help but see radcliffe as Potter.. and I'm not even a huge fan/follower of the Potter series. I appreciate their achievments and enjoy them, but have never even picked up one of the books and wouldn't recall the movies as a favourite series of mine. It's just that after a single actor has been defined by pretty much nothing other than a single iconic character for a decade, it's hard to get that image out of your head.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
It would be nice if a superhero franchise could switch actors and not reboot. Batman did this, why can't anyone else?

Just to get it out of the way: because he's the goddamned Batman.

Jun 7, 2010
While i know nothing about the world of theatre/musicals, i hear Daniel Radcliffe has done pretty well for himself in the west end, so i have high hopes that he'll make it as a "real" actor, not just as "that Harry Potter kid"

I seriously giggled like a schoolgirl when "the president's daughter" was mentioned. That's probably not a good thing.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Well, can we at least give Emma Watson points for Gryffindor, like, all the time?

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/memes-points-to-gryffindor.jpg?w=590

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Hungry Donner said:
It would be nice if a superhero franchise could switch actors and not reboot. Batman did this, why can't anyone else?
Does Doctor Who count as a superhero? They've kind of got that whole bit down (minus any fanbase argument over new-series/old-series shenanigans, anyway)...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
What? No mention of the Phantom Mena- "snort" sorry, I can't spell that with a straight face.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Oh man, I managed to get the excruciating teenager Spidey out of my head, and then you sucker me right back in! :(

MS ONE: Looks like the "funny" one-liners and obligatory action shots are quite present, but I somehow don't feel this will have an actual interesting story or characters. Let's hope it's good, but I'm not betting on that.

Chronicle... Probably would be twice as good without the whole "found footage" angle, as I thoroughly despise it. Only time they ever got that right was in The Trollhunter imho. Still, that one kid going on a crazy rampage might be good ;)

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
don't get too excited for the hunger games... the books werent great and the things that happen in the books are pretty silly... :/

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
If Micheal Bay is not involved all in Act of Valor, he must have pitched a total fit his wet dream is happening without him.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I competely forgot that George Lucas was interested in making a WW2 about African American pilots (I remember once reading that from a film mag years).
From the trailers it certainly look promising but yet again this is George Lucus we're talking about. It also doesn't help the fact that if the film is a hit, he would make a sequel and a prequel thus bringing it to a trilogy which I shudder at that idea (that what it said on Wiki).

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I wasn't interested in Chronicle before, but the trailer looks promising. I'm not really sure why they went with the found footage angle for it, though- that style doesn't seem like its going to add much to a big effects-driven superhero movie. There's a reason most successful found footage movies are low-budget horror films (Cloverfield being the exception).

Still, the clips and trailer seem to indicate that the movie is avoiding a lot of the over-use of shaky cam that other movies like this have been falling prey to lately.

Smiles said:
don't get too excited for the hunger games... the books werent great and the things that happen in the books are pretty silly... :/
I would second that, although the trailer looked promising. I'm hoping the movie covers up the books' flaws.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Am I the only one who finds High-School Spider-man to be so boring and cliche now?

The CGI Mirror's Edge scene leaves much to be desired. However, The story in Spidey-3 was mind numbingly bad, so I guess the tried-and-true formula of awkward high school superhero may still be an improvement. Still... I'm likely going to pass on that one.

EDIT: Unless the villain is Carnage. And he's in it longer than the 3rd Act. Then I'll give it a shot.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
As Woody Harrelson said in Zombieland, "Enjoy the little things." I'm not really all that excited about half or so of the huge epic blockbuststravaganzas on the top 10 video last week, but I definitely want to see a whole bunch of the ridiculous crap on this list.

Escape from New York in space? Timecop with Tommy from Third Rock? That horror movie thing somehow involving sci-fi? Oh, and let's not forget about that insane Will Farrel thing. I'm going to keep this article up in my browser for a while so I remember what awesome crap to look for this year when I'm bored and want to see a stupid movie.

Thanks, Bob!

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Spider-Man reboot:

I'd honestly be less annoyed by this if they didn't feel the need to make it another origin story.
Everyone in the modern movie going world knows the Spider-Man origin story...my DAD knows the Spider-Man origin story (The radioactive spider version and not the genetically altered variant)

If you want to do "The Adventures of Young Spider-Man" then fine, just do that.

We don't need to waste another half a movie showing him being nerdy and getting his ass kicked by Flash Thompson, getting bitten by a spider, fighting Crusher Hogan (or whatever) and getting Uncle Ben killed.

Red Tails:

I'm cautiously intrigued about this movie. The subject matter is one that I think deserves a good movie... But I'd be lying if I said that the advertising for the film is really souring my opinion of it.
I can't claim to be an expert on the subject but it seems like everything about the way the characters are portrayed is aggressively modern. I don't know if that was intentional or just poor writing.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
After Tucker and Dale vs Evil was so amazing, don't want to see any more horror movies set in the woods.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Towels said:
Am I the only one who finds High-School Spider-man to be so boring and cliche now?
It's like they're trying to make Spiderman for Twilight fans. I swear, Andrew Garfield looks about as much as you can like Robert Pattinson without actually being Robert Pattinson.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I know he hasn't been mentioning it but I really REALLY hope Bob reviews Ghost Rider 2. I'm also really interested to see how it's going to stack up to Spider-Man. They could both crash and burn or Spider-Man could be a surprise hit while Ghost Rider surprises nobody by being bad. Either way I'm already 100% invested in seeing Ghost Rider.