S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Is Still Kicking

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Is Still Kicking

It looks like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 might be back in business.

Fans of bizarre, hard-ass PC-exclusive shooters set in desolate, post-Soviet wastelands got some bad news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114643-Rumor-S-T-A-L-K-E-R-2-Canceled-GSC-Game-World-Closed-UPDATED] last month when word slipped out that GSC Game World had pulled the plug on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and was actually closing its doors. Confusion followed and nobody was entirely sure what was going on which, when you think about it, is really kind of appropriate for a drama involving an eastern European videogame studio.

Now, however, there's some good news, or at least the possibility that we will someday see more of the Zone. "The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team is extremely happy!" the studio wrote on the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/officialstalker/posts/354976321194956]. "Why? Because we are continuing work on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 after the holidays."

All is not completely well, however. Despite the upbeat Facebook post, GSC rep Oleg Yavorsky told Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/gsc-needs-funding-finish-stalker-2] that money still needs to be found. "We are still in the process of seeking funding to back up the project," he said. "We are hopeful things turn out well eventually. The team really wants to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. continue."

1C Multimedia Marketing Director Sergey Galyonkin, meanwhile, wrote on his blog [Google translated [http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgalyonkin.com%2F2012%2F01%2F12%2Fnebolshoy-apdeyt-pro-stalker-2%2F]] that "the team is currently in talks with potential investors, looking for people willing to invest in the development of the game. The project is still in limbo, but there is hope." Possibly-former GSC Game World CEO Sergei Grigorovich is not yet ready to make a statement, he added.

It's not an iron-clad assurance that the game will see the light of day, in other words, but it is good to know that somebody, somewhere [in Kiev, actually] is still fighting to get this thing done. As always, we'll keep you posted.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Woohoo! THank goodness for that. I've only played Call of Pripyat, but it is engrossing. It's like Soivet Fallout.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
That's great news. At least, AT LEAST, they still want to make it happen. And I want it to happen ohso badly.

I hope they find their investors.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Good to hear that it's still technically in the works.

Soviet Heavy said:
Woohoo! THank goodness for that. I've only played Call of Pripyat, but it is engrossing. It's like Soivet Fallout.
The original STALKER is well worth playing. You can typically find it on Steam for pretty cheap, same goes for Clear Sky (which I have yet to complete due to bugs and now Skyrim).

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Jaeger_CDN said:

Soviet Heavy said:
The original STALKER is well worth playing. You can typically find it on Steam for pretty cheap, same goes for Clear Sky (which I have yet to complete due to bugs and now Skyrim).
Does Stalker Complete add the weapons maintenance system that is in Call of Pripyat?

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
666Satsuki said:
You guys all know whats going to happen right? They are going to find an investor but that investor is going to make them release it for consoles instead.
Even if it has to be released on consoles by the investor that still does not mean the pc version will be shit.

i think thq may do this since they know how well packing in good dx11 in a good game gets the attention of everyone calling themselves a hardcore pc gamer i.e metro 2033
that game sold really well.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Kinda hope they make it. I really liked the first STALKER, it's a fun little game once you adjust for the difficulty curve and you get a weapon that can hit the broad side of a barn.

Plus the ending was golden.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
666Satsuki said:
You guys all know whats going to happen right? They are going to find an investor but that investor is going to make them release it for consoles instead.
Rather have this than have the game be postponed for 10 years or never released at all any day

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Jaeger_CDN said:

Soviet Heavy said:
Does Stalker Complete add the weapons maintenance system that is in Call of Pripyat?
To be honest I don't know, I haven't used the Complete mods for any of the games. Most of the mods I ever used were just to fix major bugs and correct weapon names.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Jaeger_CDN said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Jaeger_CDN said:

Soviet Heavy said:
To be honest I don't know, I haven't used the Complete mods for any of the games. Most of the mods I ever used were just to fix major bugs and correct weapon names.
That's what bothered me about the first game. Everything would deteriorate over time, even your nice exoskeleton. I like to keep things in good shape.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
*celebratory dance* good news, come on investors dig deep and give generously.

ShaneGunWolf said:
I still need to beat all three of the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R games. >.<

HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT GO!
Same here but I also need to buy Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
While I don't know what CoP's maintenance system was like (I have it, just haven't played it), the Complete one allows repairs from both identical weaponry, offshoots (non-unique stuff repairs the unique version, for example) and repair kits.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Joshimodo said:
Soviet Heavy said:
While I don't know what CoP's maintenance system was like (I have it, just haven't played it), the Complete one allows repairs from both identical weaponry, offshoots (non-unique stuff repairs the unique version, for example) and repair kits.
In Call of Pripyat, certain NPCs would provide upgrades and maintenance for your equipment at a small price. By giving them tools for better work, they would in turn provide you with better weapons and armour.

alwaysrockon

Sep 24, 2008
I loved STALKER and I can't wait for this! Although it was a little bit difficult to get into, it was well worth it.

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
As soon as I saw this I literally froze, turned off everything that was playing and clicked on this.

I LOVE the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series it was just amazing, when I saw the words S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and canceled in the same sentence I just went depressed.

But now its back YAY.

nackertash

Feb 14, 2009
Skizle said:
666Satsuki said:
Rather have this than have the game be postponed for 10 years or never released at all any day
Do you know what that mindset got us? AVP3. And all the other console bastardizations.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
I'm very glad to hear this. Despite having never played or even watched footage from any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, I've still developed quite a fondness for the series just from hearing people talk about it. (Kinda like Alpha Protocol and KOTOR II.) I'd very much like for the series to continue and thrive, so this is great news.