Baffling Comparison Places Kindergarten Cop In Silent Hill

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Baffling Comparison Places Kindergarten Cop In Silent Hill

Pyramid Head isn't evil, he just has a tumor.

Ready for completely bizarre cross-media linkage? Based on a series of images culled from Konami's original PlayStation release of Silent Hill and the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger film Kindergarten Cop, the two properties apparently take place in the same location.

I know what you're thinking. "Nex, Silent Hill is set in a foggy, non-descript town full of supernatural horrors and the physical manifestation of psychological trauma, while Kindergarten Cop is set in Astoria, Oregon! You've been to Astoria! You should know the difference!"

Yes reader, you are correct. I've been to Astoria often. It's only a few hours away. Never once in all my time there did I ever encounter a single twitching biological monstrosity, but then again, I also never encountered a Terminator robot shouting at a class of 6 year olds. So really, who am I to doubt the findings of a group of obsessive Silent Hill fans?

If you don't believe me, have a look at the images in the gallery below, taken from a recent post on Silent Hill Forum dot com. In that post a user calling his/herself "Giromancy," offers little in the way of editorializing, instead letting the images and their blatant similarities, do all the talking.

Now, granted, there is a pretty likely and completely believable explanation for this. Silent Hill was originally created by a team of Japanese developers, so it stands to reason that the devs would look for somewhat obscure sources of Americana on which to base the miscellaneous decorations they had to scatter throughout their sleepy, horrifying town. It's not entirely inconceivable that the team watched Kindergarten Cop and innocuously swiped a few details here and there.

Of course, there's also the possibility that this is a long-dormant facet of the game's underlying horror that Konami hoped had been lost to the sands of time. Maybe the madness of Silent Hill is encroaching into our reality, retroactively altering beloved classic films in its gradual, nefarious quest to absorb us all into that terrifying fog.

Actually, that's a pretty stupid idea. It's probably just a weird coincidence.

[gallery=612]

Source: Kotaku [http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23649]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I thought I lived in Silent Hill, shuffling people with barely and vocabulary and a thick fog of (weed) smoke hanging in the air.....obviously I'm mistaken.

Also, with you talking about a Terminator teaching a class of kids, I remember when I was younger I used to think that Arnie was actually a robot in real life and also had some fucked up nightmares because of it. Cheers mum for letting your 4 year old watch T2: Judgement Day, worked out well.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Huh....

All I have to say is that I'm glad Konami didn't model Harry after the Terminator, although that would've been mildly entertaining.

"Cheryl, get to the choppa!"

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
If you think this is bad just wait until you find out that Jill Valentine from Resident Evil was actually the grown up child Arnold S. had in the movie "Junior"!

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I wonder why it took nearly 14 years to see this reference. BTW what is Kindergarten Cop about? Never heard about it.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I'm just amazed that someone watched Kindergarten Cop so many times to see the similarities.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Is it just me, or the locations are actually really, REALLY different, and only a few small details seem to be similar? I mean, is it possible that these posters and small details were relatively common in USA (I am from Italy, so I can't judge them from my personal experience)?

Zach Smith

Aug 11, 2010
This umm... this has been common knowledge for years now guys... Great job picking up on it just now. :/

Ell Jay

Jun 3, 2009
I'd say more homage than direct setting, like details someone liked from the movie and decided to replicate in-game.

Apr 17, 2009
Some of those are a bit...tenuous. Oooh, they've both got a school bus just like most other schools in America! Ooh they've both got medicine cabinets just like frikking everywhere...

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Some of those are a bit...tenuous. Oooh, they've both got a school bus just like most other schools in America! Ooh they've both got medicine cabinets just like frikking everywhere...
Damn it... Ninja'd! That was just what I was going to say! Both those points too! :/

Seriously though! School but, that could just as much be a Napoleon Dynamite reference! I expect it is just a product of it being he last american film the designer saw before adding the relics!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Blue Musician said:
I wonder why it took nearly 14 years to see this reference. BTW what is Kindergarten Cop about? Never heard about it.
Standard fish-out-of-water comedy that turns more thriller as it progresses. Arnold's character is a cop whose partner is set to go undercover at a kindergarten, but she falls ill so he has to take over despite having neither the training nor temperament to handle it.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Does every school bus also have the number 7 in the exact same spot, and has the "Ford" branding in the exact same spot of the grill?

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
SirCannonFodder said:
Does every school bus also have the number 7 in the exact same spot, and has the "Ford" branding in the exact same spot of the grill?
Wow, thanks for noticing that 7 on the bus.This makes my WTF moment of the day.

Apr 17, 2009
SirCannonFodder said:
Quite possibly. Its just the same model of school bus, so what? Probably hundreds of them that look just like that in the real world. I still see no connection

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010

I would have never...
Wait, how did someone notice these? Either they played Silent Hill 100 times and watched Kindergarten Cop, or they watched Kindergarten Cop 100 times and then played Silent Hill. Either way, my mind has been blown.