DICE Vows To "Hunt Down" Battlefield 3 Cheaters

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DICE Vows To "Hunt Down" Battlefield 3 Cheaters

Sorry to break it to you cheaters, but apparently Battlefield 3 developer DICE is sick of your shenanigans.

Was that lede written purely so I could use the word "shenanigans?" Why yes it was!

Anyway, in a recent screed posted to the official Battlefield 3 blog, the developer swore a blood oath to players, promising that it would root out any cheaters, no matter where they hide. You'd think with all the melodramatic build up that DICE was planning to flay these people alive or have them ripped apart by EA-branded horses, but no, they'll pretty much just get banned.

From the aforementioned blood oath:

At DICE, we will never tolerate cheaters. Life on the battlefield can be harsh, especially when you're up against the fantastic flying duo. But it should never be a case of you losing because someone is outright cheating.

We have always taken cheating seriously. Starting today, we will further intensify our efforts to hunt down and rid Battlefield 3 of cheaters. Stats wiping and banning this disruptive minority is the only way they will understand that they are ruining the game for others. We do this for the millions of dedicated players out there who deserve a fair game, every game.

The post also includes info on what to do if you feel that you're the victim of cheating. Short version: Sign in to Battlelog [http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/gate/], find the name of the jerk who wronged you, and click on the little triangle icon at the top right of their profile. Apparently this flags their account for review by DICE? The post isn't entirely clear on what happens after you hit that triangle, but I'm sure it's a horrific yet suitable punishment for anyone who would dare besmirch the name of online gaming with illicit cheats.

Speaking as someone whose interest in online multiplayer shooters was revived by Battlefield 3 after a decade of lying face down in a ditch, I applaud DICE's efforts to punish those who would exploit fair play in a quest for some baffling shred of personal fulfillment. Granted, I'm still hoping EA will give the developer the go ahead to crush these jerks with huge stones, but in the mean time perhaps more liberal use of the banhammer works just as well.

And if not, we could always impale them on long, pointy sticks.

Source: Battlefield 3 [http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2012/01/11/Battlefield-3-anticheat-measures-intensify.aspx##]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
As long as the banning doesn't involve locking players out of playing the games in their EA library, I'm fine with it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
You can go ahead and nerf.the shit out of the USAS12 shotgun while your at it, that shits getting out of hand

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Now, I'm not on any of these servers, but I have to kind of ask...if the game had gone through the debugging process fully - instead of half-baked and buggy like many games - would this have occurred so much/badly? I am not personally sure, but it would be alot harder for these things to occur if a game wasn't rushed out the door without its pants on and then handed patch after patch in the hopes that this somehow completes it.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
wooty said:
You can go ahead and nerf.the shit out of the USAS12 shotgun while your at it, that shits getting out of hand
Why? It's useless outside of Metro Meatgrinders and that Bazaar place.

Horton986

Lord Canada
Mar 16, 2009
USAS-12 is not the problem nor is it the stupidly uber-powered frag rounds that make soldiers into walking LAV's. Its the hackers, these people need to get banned and get all their EA Library locked out.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I really hope that tthis doesn't trap people who aren't cheating, but are just good at the game, or are wrongly accused of cheating by someone who just wants to be immature.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Odd since bad company 2 was filled with cheaters and they never did a thing about it, or is this just the console version

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Umm hasn't this game been out for 2 months now? kinda of a late start to the combating the problem now.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
wooty said:
Why? It's useless outside of Metro Meatgrinders and that Bazaar place.
Not too sure about that, I went back to bf3 today and got razed by that damn thing, especially with the frag rounds, theres barely a chance.

Just a tone down on damage would be welcome at this juncture.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Watch as they charge people for cheating to allow themn to be banned. Though people abusing it seems like that will be the norm.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
I applaud DICE's efforts to punish those who would exploit fair play in a quest for some baffling shred of personal fulfillment.
There's the problem with your rehoric. Exploits are not the same as cheating and are only caused when games makers release buggy software or take a long time to patch it. Finding exploits is a much respected part of gaming, as old as games are themselves and used as a central mechanic for the Matrix movies.

Flame shield, engage...

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Some guy reported me for cheating, on the grounds that you cannot perform a Zero-G turn in a jet along the same turn radius as a parentheses.

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
So they're going to work on a nearly non-existent problem while dozens of bugs and imbalances left unfixed? I love paying $60 for a permanent beta, don't you?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
From what I've heard about the PC version, you can literally change your name whenever you want at no charge, making report cheaters useless.

Avae

Aug 26, 2011
KILGAZOR said:
So they're going to work on a nearly non-existent problem while dozens of bugs and imbalances left unfixed? I love paying $60 for a permanent beta, don't you?
I agree with you, I can't play Battlefield 3, it's too hard and the matchmaking is totally broken since many high level players just skip the matchmaking and join servers directly, making level 0-10 players fight against teams of prestiged high level players!

If I had known that I wouldn't have bought it.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
JoesshittyOs said:
From what I've heard about the PC version, you can literally change your name whenever you want at no charge, making report cheaters useless.
The game is still attached to your EA account is it not?
EA has shown its not above banning you from all there games