New Dead Island DLC Shambles Forth

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
New Dead Island DLC Shambles Forth

The latest DLC pack for Dead Island will deliver a new playable character, among other things.

If Emily Dickinson is correct, then the dead have much-delayed [http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/because-i-could-not-stop-for-death-712/] DLC pack in November. For impatient zombies and hunters alike, the wait for more content is just about over. On February 1, 2012, players can step into the shoes of an antagonist when the Ryder White pack will go live on XBLA, PSN, and Steam.

The DLC will offer a new take on the existing Dead Island story, allowing players to take control of the villainous Ryder White. Survivors of the original game may remember White as the madman who decided the best way to fix Banoi's zombie problem was to invoke the nuclear option. Players who aren't especially interested in White's story will be pleased to know that the package also includes two new blueprints and weapons for any and all zombie-smashing needs.

Dead Island has had some zombie-like stumbles since its launch. It's seen its DLC delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112801-Dead-Island-Dev-Could-Have-Released-Wrong-Version-to-Steam]. In spite of all that, the developers have kept the game afloat through regular patches and new content. Ryder White will set British zombie hunters back 800 MS points or £7.99, with similar prices in the rest of Europe and North America.

Source: G4 [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/719912/dead-island-dlc-adds-new-story-playable-character-next-month/]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Bloody finally. Not much else to say besides that.

EDIT: Ok maybe there is more to say. Dead Island was a decent game that I enjoyed with a delightfully neo-noir storyline (IE, bad shit happens and everybody dies ad the main character (who happens to be the mechanic girl, not you) learns to be bitter hatefilled and evil before her inevitable death) that I appreciated simply because if was a breath of fresh air compared to the typical happy ending vibe. I like happy endings, don't get me wrong, but a bit of something different now and then is nice.

That being said, this game was also marred by controversy (including sexism), a lack of trigger warnings for rape (was that mentioned in the ESRB?), and of course the BETA BUILD RELEASE bullshit we had to put up with on PC wtf was that. It was a week before I could play with friends and even then it never worked right, always deleting my game after the session sdjkfhkjasdfhjkasdf.

Ultimatly the game was passably fun but fell vastly short of what it could have been. You could FEEL the cut corners and failure to live up to the design docs when you played it, from the clumsy way firearms were implimented to the driving segments to that goddamned 'you got knocked down now watch a 5 hour movie of you getting up' fucking bullshit cutscnee that plays EVERY TIME A BRUTE SO MUCH AS BREATHS ON YO- sorry, I got carried away for a second.

Anyway i'm eager to see them expand on and improve the game with DLC and I hope this is better then the less then great second half of the game.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Have they sorted that bullshit that makes the zombies hit for percentage based damage? If not, DLC or no, I won't be reinstalling.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Have they sorted that bullshit that makes the zombies hit for percentage based damage? If not, DLC or no, I won't be reinstalling.
It's called 'level scaling', it's a feature, and it is indeed bullshit. So no. Because for some jackassed reason they designed it that way.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
Ryder White will set British zombie hunters back 800 MS points or £7.99, with similar prices in the rest of Europe and North America.
Hang on, since when did 800 MS points become £8 I thought the ratio was a lot less than that.

Anyway for related discussion value, have they announced how much DLC we could expect, and what kind of time frame we should expect.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
Game certainly wasn't polished enough to be worth the £40 on release. For some reason it was sold out in the UK when I tried to get it, had to get it online pre-owned. Also sold it on, which I never do. Happily not supporting Techland. I hope they don't pull too many suckers in with this new DLC... unless it's good. But is that possible?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
This is a game I both hate with a passion and still enjoy at the same time. When I play Dead Island it takes me upwards of an hour to actually get into it and start enjoying it, but then I'm always pulled out of that by the horrendous level scaling. Even when that doesn't come along to smack me int he face, I enjoy the game but I'm always seeing the wasted potential that the game had. Plus the controls, fuck the controls.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Great! I love this game. Definately one of the best games of this year. Finally a zombie rpg that is great for co-op. Never really had any problems with it being glitchy, not like Fallout NV...

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Great, about time actually. I was actually very interested in that. Hopefully, we will have more firepower available this time around. Judging how White is a millitary commander and all.