Why X-COM Is the Greatest Game Ever

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Why X-COM Is the Greatest Game Ever

It's been the greatest game ever for 17 years now. Can it be improved?

Read Full Article

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Amen. Even despite massive bugs (like the difficulty always defaulting back to the easiest setting) and a merciless difficulty curve (even despite said difficulty-affecting bug you could EASILY get wiped out when the aliens bring Blaster Bombs and psychic powers to the field) it's still an unsurpassed achievement in game design. Ahead of its time when it was released, and arguably ahead of its time even today.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I am in agreement with the Butts.

X-Com really is the best game ever made. Plucked it off the shelf way back in what, 1996? as a bright eye'd 15 year old. Its got it all, I love it, I got back and play through it again periodically.

It lost its mojo in Terror from the Deep, and I couldn't ever figure out what the heck I was suppposed to do in apocalypse.

Its this magic that made us so upset that X-com had been reformatted into a 1950s gay rights FPS. Sure, there could be a fun game there, but it ain't this X-Com. I'm very pleased to see the updated graphics and base design-- now, lets just hope they don't skimp horribly on the most pleasing aspects of the original.

Edit:

In the situation shown in the attached picture:
Do you: A: autofire the alien in front of you
B: autofire the alien further away (hoping to clip the one in front)
C: prime and drop a grenade
D: RUN LIKE THE WIND

Drucifer

Oct 3, 2010
I have attempted to play and beat these games multiple times over the years. They're so hard, I never have been able to do it, especially since I have a horrible time letting characters die. I still go back every few years to try again, and love it just as much as the first time I played. I found the first two X-Com games more terrifying and stress inducing than any survival horror game.

Drucifer

Oct 3, 2010
I have attempted to play and beat these games multiple times over the years. They're so hard, I never have been able to do it, especially since I have a horrible time letting characters die. I still go back every few years to try again, and love it just as much as the first time I played. I found the first two X-Com games more terrifying and stress inducing than any survival horror game.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
MY GOD...

Have to Agree... i hold X-Com as my favorite game of all time (Maby not entirely true) and one of the game which made me a TRUE gamer. Before that it was quick fun and arcade destruction. MAYBE Gameboy RPG's. But this...

The atmosphere was AMAZING. Music, Soundeffects, graphics. Tension when it's the Enemies turn. I REALLY prefer turnbased gameplay. It never was the same...

Well, Nostalgia away (I have still a few versions of this.... You can get on on Steam cheaply by the way)

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I bought the game on one of those online sales and was immediately intimidated by the interface. If the game is ever remade with a tutorial, I will definitely give it another try.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
X-com made me a gamer. Hand's down. It's delivered an experience that I hold every RTS game up against. None have been able to deliver as of yet.

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
Fantastic game from my youth, back in the day when we had PAPER manuals. There was a little company called Microprose who made manuals into an art form (and their games ruled the roost). MOO, MOM, Pirates, Railroad Tycoon, F-15 Strike Eagle, Darklands and on and on and on.

Them and SSI. Fan-tabi-dozy!

Feb 13, 2008
Yep, said as much 4 years ago,
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5379-Review-X-Com-Revival-Package

:)

TheElusiveHobo

Nov 11, 2009
I bought this game on Steam about two years ago at the recommendation of a friend, but was always too intimidated by it. Looks like I'll have to make the investment.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
Kristian Fischer said:
Fantastic game from my youth, back in the day when we had PAPER manuals. There was a little company called Microprose who made manuals into an art form (and their games ruled the roost). MOO, MOM, Pirates, Railroad Tycoon, F-15 Strike Eagle, Darklands and on and on and on.

Them and SSI. Fan-tabi-dozy!
Don't forget the golden goose that eventually led to it's death, Civ.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Jagged Alliance!!! YES! I never played XCOM but whenever I saw or heard of it I kept thinking of that shooter game I played that sounded very similar. It was Jagged Alliance!

I loved that game. It kicked my ass, but it was awesome. I also had fun with the level creator lol.

LordofPurple

Oct 4, 2010
I tried to love X-COM, and there really were things I absolutely adored about it, but CHRIST the battles started to drag on after awhile, and most of them ended up becoming a half hour-long game of hide-and-seek.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Hell Steve Butts, way to hit my hot buttons, X-Com, Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm, Pirates! Do you want me to stalk you? Because I will! X-Com was my first "Holy shit is that dawn?" game, I still have my original floppies somewhere.

thiosk said:
C: detonation time 0 turns, then try shooting the furthest Sectoid. That rookie is dead anyway without armor.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Ah! I played this game during the summer leading up to my first semester in college. That summer went down the drain to this game and I wouldn't have it any other way. I remember the thrill of the night battles in the cities with that small ufo looking tank. Scary stuff!

I have purchased and repurchased this game about.. hmmm... 4 times that I can remember off hand and then I got the second one twice. First the "normal" version on disc and then the CD version with the improved video. (Can't recall if the disc version had any video or not or stills only)

Another game I have happily purchased more than twice is the first Panzer General.... Good times.. good times.. :D

Feb 13, 2008
Wolfram01 said:
Jagged Alliance!!! YES! I never played XCOM but whenever I saw or heard of it I kept thinking of that shooter game I played that sounded very similar. It was Jagged Alliance!

I loved that game. It kicked my ass, but it was awesome. I also had fun with the level creator lol.
You, of course, know that JA 3 is in preorder on Steam?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
No, no, no. I tried to get into this game when it was first released and it turned me off turn based strategy ever since. Hey, I am quite happy to go along with it being the best game for people who like this kind of thins, but best game ever, with the likes of Elite, etc in the running. The best game ever should not make half of gamers go yawn when you mention it's name....

Feb 13, 2008
thiosk said:
E: Mind-control the alien, launch the blaster bomb, make it do 3 passing circles before detonating on the floor below the alien, throwing him into a mangled heap of research bits.