Steam Group Politiely Asks Valve to Talk About Half-Life

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Steam Group Politiely Asks Valve to Talk About Half-Life

A Steam Group hopes using politeness and respect will encourage Valve to speak up about Half-Life.

Over 10,000 gamers have joined a new Steam Group that's looking for Valve to be more outgoing about the next step for its award winning (but dormant) series. The group, titled A Call for Communication (Half-Life) is hoping that by keeping its message simple, respectful and non-confrontational, it will be able grab Valve's attention better than using a campaign of anger and negativity.

"We have decided to gain Valve's attention by delivering a basic message," the group stated in their open letter to the Bellevue, Washington-based company. "Your oldest and longest running fanbase would like better communication.

The group was founded on December 25th, 2011, most likely out of disappointment that Valve didn't deliver any news about the return of Gordon Freeman as a Christmas present.

"Waiting patiently for over four years is a daunting task, especially when E3 comes and goes without any beat of a Half-Life pulse," the group continued. "Valve had stated that information was scheduled to be released towards the end of 2008, and we believe that if they have chosen, for whatever reason, to withhold this information, fans should at least be acknowledged in some way."

Valve hasn't exactly been slacking off in the years since Half-Life: Episode 2. Since the game's launch in October 2007, it produced Left 4 Dead and the game's sequel, released numerous updates to the award-winning multiplayer shooter Team Fortress 2, and most recently Portal 2. Dota 2 and a new Counter-Strike title are also in the works, although some of these game projects were originally in development by teams that Valve acquired over the years.

If you agree with the group's sentiment, you can join up via Steam. [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/messagetovalve]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-17-a-call-for-communication-half-life-steam-group-passes-10-000-members]

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
There is a pretty good article about this over at Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/17/hey-valve-whats-going-on-eh/

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm really not that fussed about the Half-Life series, but I'm signing up to this just so all the Episode 3 speculation/fan-rage/vaporware jokes can stop.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Honestly? HL2 was epic, sure. But why do we need HL3? I would like to see some games using a similar forumla, sure, but I really couldn't care less if it's HL3 or some random new series by a no name studio. I just want quality games.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Honestly? HL2 was epic, sure. But why do we need HL3? I would like to see some games using a similar forumla, sure, but I really couldn't care less if it's HL3 or some random new series by a no name studio. I just want quality games.
It's more about how Episode 2 ended on this huge cliffhanger and Valve has been all, "Oh man Portal takes place in the same universe! That's exciting!"

Like...c'mon. We just want to see what happened.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The sentiment is nice, but... I'm afraid this will just end up being an exercise in futility.

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
I've signed up, but I haven't much hope that Valve will reply unless the group grows at least 10x as big....

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Frostbite3789 said:
Wolfram01 said:
It's more about how Episode 2 ended on this huge cliffhanger and Valve has been all, "Oh man Portal takes place in the same universe! That's exciting!"

Like...c'mon. We just want to see what happened.
Did it? I forget. I remember blowing up walkers in a car, though. That was fun.

Well, I do remember finishing EP2 and wanting to play more so I loaded Lost Coast or whatever it is and was horribly, horribly disappointed that it was nothing but a tech demo lol.

But I guess I just feel like it's time has passed. Sure a conclusion would have been nice... a couple years ago. It's like Duke Nukem Forever, in some ways. It's part of the past, now.

For me at least.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Group: So whats happening with HL3?
Valve: We are working on it
Group: So is a release date going to be announced?
Group: Can you deliver some better answers?
Valve: Heres another mod we bought up, go play this for a while
Group: You are not answering our quest-OOO shiny new Valve game, we will talk again soon.

yea thats kinda how i see this is going to end

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Somewhere in the depths of Valve's official trolling department two guys are exchanging high fives.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
Somewhere in the depths of Valve's official trolling department two guys are exchanging high fives.
Their department is, by far, the most successful department at Valve Software.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
WMDogma said:
Valve hasn't exactly been slacking off in the years since Half-Life: Episode 2. Since the game's launch in October 2007, it produced Left 4 Dead and the game's sequel, released numerous updates to the award-winning multiplayer shooter Team Fortress 2, and most recently Portal 2. Dota 2 and a new Counter-Strike title are also in the works, although some of these game projects were originally in development by teams that Valve acquired over the years.
Actually, every franchise Valve has a part in besides the Half-Life series were bought from mod teams or smaller start-ups. Every single one. And frankly, that bothers me more than anything else about them ? the idea that their core team literally only had one game idea ever (well, maybe two; if you replaced Gordon Freeman with a different character and took out the handful of references to Half-Life, the premise of Half-Life 2 could have been an original IP).

I'd be more interested in seeing them launch a brand new IP. Now that the people who created Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Portal, AND Defense of the Ancients are all working at the same company, it seems hard to believe that they couldn't put their heads together and come up with something.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Skizle said:
Group: So whats happening with HL3?
Group: So is a release date going to be announced?
Group: Can you deliver some better answers?
Valve: Heres another mod we bought up, go play this for a while
Group: You are not answering our quest-OOO shiny new Valve game, we will talk again soon.

yea thats kinda how i see this is going to end
This would actually be a great answer. You see, the problem is that they don't even acknowledge its existence anymore. We don't know whether they are working on it or not, heck we don't even know what to call it.
This group doesn't want a release date, or screenshots let alone a trailer. All the group wants is, that they tell us what's going on. The wait isn't frustrating, it's the uncertainty.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I joined back when it had around 3000 members, and holy shit has it been growing fast. This might actually go somewhere.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I kind of feel like they should say something because of the way Episode 2 finished, its like they were telling a story and in the middle of it they went to the bathroom, then made lunch, then made 3 games, then went to the bathroom again... Just tell us how it ends please, or at least if you are planning in telling us how it ends.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Threads like this make me glad I never invested myself into the Episodes. All I remember Half-Life 2 for was a lack-luster ending where I don't care about anything that happens to the characters.

That will change once this Episode 3 or full sequel comes out. I figured that I shouldn't start a story if I couldn't finish it, and it looks like that was the right choice since it's taking so damn long.