Pac-Man Apparently Joins Street Fighter X Tekken Cast

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Pac-Man Apparently Joins Street Fighter X Tekken Cast

Also, Balrog, Vega, Juri, Paul Phoenix, Marshall Law, Ling Xiaoyu and what looks like a grotesquely obese Mega Man.

Two new trailers were issued this morning for the upcoming Street Fighter X Tekken, and while they do cover the customary "reveal new fighters" angle, they go a bit overboard on that, tossing in videogame dudes that are both unexpected and totally baffling.

Before we get to that though, you should watch the clips. The one embedded at top-right is the cinematic trailer. As per usual, it's a neat bit of CGI fisticuffs that does a pretty solid job of officially welcoming Balrog, Juri, Paul, Xiaoyu, Vega and Law to the cast. If nothing else, this is what we expect when Capcom says it has a new trailer for this game.

And then we have the second trailer. It's less conventional.

Don't get me wrong, it starts off pretty standard. For the first few minutes it's a stock gameplay demonstration of the new fighters, showing off the game's pretty graphics and over-the-top style.

Then you get to the last 15 seconds of the thing and the developers decide to demonstrate the Vita version. More specifically, the developers decide to demonstrate the additional characters created specifically for the handheld. Toro and Kuro, Sony's adorable Japanese feline mascots that never really caught on here in The States, battle Cole, the hyper-generic bald protagonist from the inFamous series. Then, with a single finger swipe, the Vita's screen shifts to a pair of silhouettes.

"Who are these two, you wonder?" before immediately realizing that the left one is the anthropomorphic Pac-Man seen in those platforming spin-offs Namco was so fond of a few console generations ago.

The one on the right however, gives you a bit of pause. You can make out what looks like an arm cannon, and maybe a helmet, but that figure is far too large and chubby to be Mega Man. But who else could it be? Frank West in a Mega Man costume [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.323722-Ultimate-Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-DLC-Plans-Revealed]? Capcom wouldn't do that again, right?

(Note: For the record, I have no inside knowledge of what that silhouette on the right might be. It could actually be Mega Man, as so many other websites seem to believe. However, since Capcom's attempts to troll its own fanbase amuse me greatly, I've got my fingers crossed for more Frank West action. Maybe that Protoman costume from Dead Rising 2: Off The Record.)

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
You could say the right character puts the mega in Mega Man.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
my interest in this game keeps getting larger as the trailers become more and more badass

and this is from the first time, me going, 'meh'

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I've never been the biggest fighting game fan, save for Super Smash Bros. and some Mortal Kombat, but even I'm excited for this game! Gonna be big!

And yet another reason that I may end up have to get myself a PS Vita.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I'll just wait till 9 months after this game comes out and get Ultimate SFvT Alpha Beta, Collectors Edition 3rd Strike.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
So now I know Law is in it (not too surprising), I can hope for Fei Long to be added. Then I can have my Bruce Lee dream team.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Both trailers suffer from a lack of Ryu, and I didn't realise Juri was such an important character.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
.....why do i get the feeling i am going to end up with an obscene amount of fighting games for my vita?

i guess if i just stick to this and blazblue i should be fine, but the vita isn't even out yet and there's already two fighting games i want for it. i'd rather some variety though, so i may as well put off getting Street fighter X Tekken for a few months and focus on getting things like gravity rush first.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Don't think I'll be buying this one. But for all who do intend on buying it, I just hope they don't re-release it again 5 months later with characters who should have been in the original game in the first place *cough*MvC3*cough* :p

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
First trailer had an extremely poor selection of music. Not to mention that whole "glass angel" bit at the end. I guess that something drastic happened in Tekken 6, or otherwise that isn't the devil Jin that I'm accustomed to...

Second trailer was really good though.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
More guest characters? Really?

I was fine with Cole being in it because he seemed to fit in well. Then they added The cats which is kind of a funny addition but totally unnecessary and space used for more relevant characters. Now Pac-Man and some other dude? Come on...

The space they wasted on these character could have gone to adding MORE SF and Tekken fighters. I'm perfectly fine with having one or two (tops) guess fighters, but this is just getting silly.

I'm still looking forward to this game, even if I'm rather skeptical about the gem system. Sure it'll still be a fun game, I'll just ignore these guess characters unless one of them just has a plays style that clicks with me.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R said:
.....why do i get the feeling i am going to end up with an obscene amount of fighting games for my vita?

i guess if i just stick to this and blazblue i should be fine, but the vita isn't even out yet and there's already two fighting games i want for it. i'd rather some variety though, so i may as well put off getting Street fighter X Tekken for a few months and focus on getting things like gravity rush first.
Yea the Vita is already getting a healthy line up of fighting games from the get go. Just today they confirmed (it was rumored and hinted at a while ago) that Mortal Kombat will be on the system with exclusive content and features for the Vita (out in spring). Convenient timing given the announcement on the Mortal Kombat Komplete.

Blazblue CSE, UMvC, SFxT, MK....4 fighters in the span of just Q1. My Vitas D-pad (which has gotten nothing but posative response) is gonna have one hell of a work out.

Now I only pray for Dissidia 3, MAKE IT HAPPEN SQUENIX!!!

Aug 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
If the silhouette on the left is who we think it is, then the rest of the line-up doesn't stand a ghost of a chance.

The above is a humorous reference to Yugioh: The Abridged Series. This is to avoid low content post warnings.