PC Upgrades Trigger Ubisoft Activation Limits

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PC Upgrades Trigger Ubisoft Activation Limits

PC hardware site Guru3D has discovered that component changes made to PCs count against videogame activation limits imposed by Ubisoft's DRM.

For a particular sub-species of PC gamer, there are few thing more exciting than testing a new lineup of video cards. The process of properly measuring and comparing voxellation and pixeltrons and tri-gigaboobs is stringent and time-consuming, but also incredibly informative and even entertaining, like a digital-era horse race. But when Anno 2070 [http://www.guru3d.com/news/why-guru3d-probably-never-will-review-ubisoft-titles-anymore/], it ran into a bit of a snag. A snag called - surprise! - DRM.

Like many PC games these days, Anno 2070 can be activated a total of three times, which seemed perfectly fine to the reviewer: one for his personal system, one for the AMD test rig and one for the Nvidia setup. That was fine and dandy, until the reviewer pulled the GTX 580 from the Nvidia system and dropped in a GTX 590 for the next round. Suddenly the game demanded an activation, but when the activation key was entered a message popped up stating that the key had been used up and no more activations were available.

"Once we inserted that GeForce GTX 590 the hardware ID number hash changed rendering our activation invalid," the site explained. "This means that if we'd like to make a VGA performance review on Anno 2070 we'd need to purchase the game seven times. Ubisoft claims that you can send an email towards their support so that the activations are reset, we did so - yet are still awaiting [a response]."

That conclusion was later confirmed by Ubisoft's marketing team in the Netherlands, where Guru3D is based. "Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to three hardware changes and there is simply no way to bypass that," it said in response to an inquiry. It also declined to give the site seven copies of the game to work with.

There's a reasonably happy ending to the story, at least for Guru3D: Ubisoft Blue Byte, which actually created the game, "unlocked" the key so the site could use the game in future tests without a lot of horsing around. The rest of us, however, remain pretty much hosed - a sadly common situation when it comes to Ubisoft DRM.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Hope he enjoyed his $60 rental.

Hey Ubisoft.. ya know why people pirate your stuff? This is why; $60 rentals. Maybe when you stops actively screwing over your paying customers, more people will be willing to pay.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Shame, I was considering trying the game out. A firm avoid until it gets removed, assuming they see sens- oh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I had a similar problem a few years ago with music editing software. I'm surprised it took this long for it to be an issue with PC gaming.

I'm NOT surprised, however, the idea came from Ubisoft.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Does this explain why I haven't been able to play Splinter Cell: Conviction on Steam for the last three weeks?

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Here is an honest question I have for PC enthusiasts. I built my PC 3 years ago and have been slowly upgrading it to meet my growing gaming needs. At what point does it become a new computer? (This specifically got me thinking when I downgraded from XP to Win7Pro64 with their activation nonsense). Obviously Ubisoft think's changing a mouse makes it a new system. I would probably reluctantly set my bar at the MoBo although I don't think there should be a bar)

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
drkchmst said:
Here is an honest question I have for PC enthusiasts. I built my PC 3 years ago and have been slowly upgrading it to meet my growing gaming needs. At what point does it become a new computer? (This specifically got me thinking when I downgraded from XP to Win7Pro64 with their activation nonsense). Obviously Ubisoft think's changing a mouse makes it a new system. I would probably reluctantly set my bar at the MoBo although I don't think there should be a bar)
A modern version of the Ship of Theseus problem? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Well game looked liked something I would buy but with that kind of DRM no thanks. Learned my lesson about not caring what drm game has I'm playing with Spore.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
drkchmst said:
for me it is when you get a new tower because something doesn't fit.
i have had my PC for 7 years
but i guess most people would say mobo or at the point where you have to get a new processor because your old one started burning.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Seems like Ubisoft and EA are in a competition to see who can dick over PC gamers the hardest. Looks like a tie so far.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Its almost like Ubisoft is afraid of making money. Why continue to make games on a platform where your actions continue to anger customers and lower the likelihood of them buying their products. If where an investor in Ubisoft I would be asking some stern questions to the bosses as to why they are determined to spend vast amounts of money and resources on making a large section of their target demographic hate the company.

The saddest thing about this is I cannot even get annoyed about ubisoft's antics anymore. They already given me ample reason not to buy their games on pc and make seriously think twice about the console versions too.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Haven't you guys heard the news? PC-gamers are all pirates, so this behavior is completely justified!

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Whaaaa? Are you trying to tell me that no one in the history of this limited install bullshit tested to see if hardware changes count towards that limit? Seriously? On PCs? I'm not the smartest guy around but that was the first thing I asked when I heard Mass Effect will have limited number of installs. In 2008! It took 3 years for this to become an issue? Fucking mind-blowing.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
And people wonder why folks go to consoles/crack their games?

Ubisoft is retarded, like full on...

Apr 28, 2008
drkchmst said:
Nobody knows. The publishers won't say. It seems changing the video card counts, but I don't know if changing the RAM, processor, motherboard, or anything else counts.

They won't say. They either don't know or don't care. Or maybe a bit of both.