Dark Ascension Spoilers: First Look

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Dark Ascension Spoilers: First Look

Today we look at some spoilers for the imminent release of Dark Ascension!

Read Full Article

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I love your articles but may I make some request? Most of the Magic the Gathering Websites I go to have some kind of thing where when you hover over the card name on their site it brings up a lil java popup next to your cursor and then goes away when you move your cursor. Could we get something like that going on? Would make your articles like..100x easier to go through.

Also Question regarding protection effects.

Does Protection offer Protection from global effects. Like, I've always considered pestalence a global effect, but your article today suggests that protection from black would stop that. Does that mean that if I have a protection from black that it would stop Damnation? or Protection from white stop a wrath of god?

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
Protection stops things being damaged by, enchanted by, blocked by, or targeted by creatures, spells, or abilities with the attributes they have protection from. (DEBT is an acronym you can use to remember this.) Since Pestilence does damage, protection from black stops it, even though it doesn't target. Since Damnation and Wrath don't do any of those things, protection doesn't stop them.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Sandytimeman said:
I love your articles but may I make some request? Most of the Magic the Gathering Websites I go to have some kind of thing where when you hover over the card name on their site it brings up a lil java popup next to your cursor and then goes away when you move your cursor. Could we get something like that going on? Would make your articles like..100x easier to go through.
We have plans to add that type of feature at some point, but it's fairly far down the list currently. Sorry! :(

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
...!!!

This set is AWESOME.

I've been hoping to get more zombie builds together, and it looks like I may want to scrap my UB zombie deck for a WB, specially if i get my hands on Sorin for the power up flavor. that 2/1 zombie that's essentially resummonable is such a wonderful card. dunno if it would be wise to replace my Diegraf ghouls with it... but it makes me laugh at how effective half a corpse could be.

But i think what really has my mind going is the lore of this- just what has happened in Innistrad now. it looks like things have taken an exceedingly drastic turn for the worse in more ways then one- and its glorious.

May the dead now rule! kyehhheheheh.

BigDrig

Oct 21, 2011
I can't wait to get my hands on this set now. I've already got plans for my most awesome blue/black deck yet! *In announcer voice* Newly enhanced with extra zombie!

aidutcher

Dec 11, 2010
I'm thinking I might have to put together some WB deck ideas in the event that I get my hands on the new Sorin. A -6 that kills planeswalkers and recruits them on your side? Yes please.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Wouldn't mind seeing a Urza or Mishra planeswalker...you know for old times sake. XD *HINT HINT WOTC*

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Havengul Lich scares the hell out of me. Combine that with the old Nicol Bolas deck (or just the lands) and Burning Vengeance and Secrets of the Dead, throw in Flayer of the Hatebound and Faithless Looting and you can get Havengul Lich out quickly and reliably, with its already OP ability becoming even better.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Why....WHY IS SORIN PRE-ORDERING FOR $60!!!!! a few years ago, Black/white tokens was my favorite deck, and this iteration of it just has sooooo much potential with Vault of the Archangel practically being a reusable overrun.

Eh, Sorin's price will drop after the hype settles down and the sets been out for a few weeks. Liliana of the Veil was at one point selling for $80, after all...she's now down to a slightly more reasonable $30.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
aidutcher said:
I'm thinking I might have to put together some WB deck ideas in the event that I get my hands on the new Sorin. A -6 that kills planeswalkers and recruits them on your side? Yes please.
If you haven't seen it, they spoiled another token generator today in Spectral Procession [http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/178] for Modern and you've got quite a few options for getting a WB token build off the ground! Also, Sorin.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I like the new Sorin too but everyone is a little to hyped over his ultimate. Planeswalker ultimates win you the game 9/10 times anyway, and if they don't take damage for enough turns you're probably winning anyway.

At this point B/W tokens looks like it might be a thing so that's basically the deck he'll appear in most often. Remember you're playing a planeswalker for their 1st or 2nd abilities, since those will be relevant most often.

Oh and does anyone else think it's a little weird that most of the R/B cards have synergy with humans? I understand the flavor reasons (vampires protecting their food) but gameplay wise it seems a little hard to make work.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
Why....WHY IS SORIN PRE-ORDERING FOR $60!!!!! a few years ago, Black/white tokens was my favorite deck, and this iteration of it just has sooooo much potential with Vault of the Archangel practically being a reusable overrun.

Eh, Sorin's price will drop after the hype settles down and the sets been out for a few weeks. Liliana of the Veil was at one point selling for $80, after all...she's now down to a slightly more reasonable $30.
The thing that will keep Sorin's price up more than anything is that this set is only being drafted at 1 pack per player for 3 months then never drafted with again. If he happen's to find a rather dominant deck to go into as Esper control/Wb token aggro may just be then he'll not come down from that price much at all. Don't even get started if new enemy fixing is printed as then all bets are off as to card prices and what deck's he'll get shoved into.

Encaen said:
aidutcher said:
If you haven't seen it, they spoiled another token generator today in Spectral Procession [http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/178] for Modern and you've got quite a few options for getting a WB token build off the ground! Also, Sorin.
Modern's slightly too fast for him now I think.
Card's from the set that will see play in modern and other eternal formats however are Thalia and Grafdigger's cage which are complete hoser's for cheap.

To answer the question put forth in the article on what is my favourite card int he set. Gotta be Huntmaster of the Fells who has lead me to begin brewing a RUG counterwolves deck. He's like the wolfy lovechild of a grave titan and inferno titan that comes out two turns earlier and let's you do silly things with moonmist such as:

Transform trigger goes on the stack
Respond with moonmist
Moonmist resolves flipping huntmaster dealing 2 damage to the dome and 2 to a creature. The board is fogged for a turn.
Initial transform trigger resolves flipping him back to human. Netting you another 2/2 wolf and another 2 life. All from just that one moonmist!

You can do it all again using snapcaster mage to flash back your moonmist too during your opponents next turn for even more CA.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
Not a bad article. I feel that you may have over-discussed - talking about less than all the spoilers would have been easier.

Also, as a side note: You cannot have an infinite loop with a sharuum. What you have is an arbitarily large loop; you have to choose how many times you wish to do it. Now, given your opponent is dying anyway it's unlikely to matter, but it's worth noting. (Because Sharuum is a 'may' it isn't a mandatory loop)

If you have a *genuinely* infinite loop of all mandatory actions which does not cause the game to end, the game becomes a draw.

For example: You control a faceless butcher which is currently devouring your opponents faceless butcher. No other creatures are in play. You play a third faceless butcher.

Assuming nothing can occur which breaks the loop, the game is a draw. (Is my butcher butchers my first butcher, which frees your butcher which butchers my second butcher, which frees my first butcher which butchers your butcher, which frees my second butcher to butcher my first butcher which....)No player has any options, so the game can never escape the loop, so the game is a draw. Or, if you manage it on MODO, the game crashes.

If, on the other hand:

1) there is an enchantment in play with 'whenever a creature comes into play, its control takes 1 damage' - the game ends with a winner, as someone dies
2) One of us can break the loop, we can make the game not a draw...but it isn't mandatory. (IE if I have a lightning bolt I can choose not to cast it).
3) If faceless butcher said 'you may...' it wouldn't be an infinite loop; the players would choose a number of times to go around the loop (if anything relevant occurred) and skip the gamestate forward to that point.

Karl AMD

Aug 25, 2010
im looking forward to the Vampires in Dark Ascension, but now i gotta figure out how to rebuild my deck which is slightly concerning but i think it should be fun

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Karl AMD said:
im looking forward to the Vampires in Dark Ascension, but now i gotta figure out how to rebuild my deck which is slightly concerning but i think it should be fun
R/B Aggro vamps

4 Stromkirk noble
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Bloodcrazed neonate
2 Markov Blademaster (1/1 double strike with put a +1/+1 token if it hits a player)
4 Stromkirk Captain (Lord for vampires and gives them all First strike)
2 Adaptive Automoton
4 Bloodline Keeper
4 Falkenrath aristocrat

3 Arc Trail
3 Doom Blade
3 Gut shot
3 Incinerate

2 Stensia Bloodhall
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
8 Swamp
6 Mountain

That's a nice simple vampire deck that goes RAWR!!OMNOMNOMNOM. The curve is good and has enough burn to clear a path for your guys/ finish by melting face.
It's also the one deck where bloodhall isn't a bad card lol

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
Yay! I'm happy that zombies are a very popular tribe now since 2010 on. I'm so far disappointed with the two-sided cards, but I'll keep my hopes up.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
mrverbal said:
Also, as a side note: You cannot have an infinite loop with a sharuum. What you have is an arbitarily large loop; you have to choose how many times you wish to do it. Now, given your opponent is dying anyway it's unlikely to matter, but it's worth noting. (Because Sharuum is a 'may' it isn't a mandatory loop)
That's fair enough, thanks! I do maintain, however, that "arbitrarily-large-amount-of-damage loop" lacks the luster of "infinite damage loop." :D All the same, your point is well taken.

As to new spoilers, I noticed they've put out Uncommon lords for Werewolves and Vampires, but nothing for Zombies, Humans, or Spirits. That makes me sad. I really want an Uncommon, 3 mana, non-legendary Mikaeus, the Unhallowed [http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127310&d=1326690067] that gives my zombie hordes Undying.

Karl AMD

Aug 25, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
R/B Aggro vamps

4 Stromkirk noble
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Bloodcrazed neonate
2 Markov Blademaster (1/1 double strike with put a +1/+1 token if it hits a player)
4 Stromkirk Captain (Lord for vampires and gives them all First strike)
2 Adaptive Automoton
4 Bloodline Keeper
4 Falkenrath aristocrat

3 Arc Trail
3 Doom Blade
3 Gut shot
3 Incinerate

2 Stensia Bloodhall
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
8 Swamp
6 Mountain

That's a nice simple vampire deck that goes RAWR!!OMNOMNOMNOM. The curve is good and has enough burn to clear a path for your guys/ finish by melting face.
It's also the one deck where bloodhall isn't a bad card lol
thanks a lot, i have all those cards too (except for the ones in dark ascension obviously, yay preordering to)

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
My fear for Dark Ascension is that there will be too many rares and mythics and not enough commons to allow a descent amount of variance between each booster. That's what happened to Mirrodin Besieged and New Phyrexia. I can't tell you how many Blightwidows I got just pulling boosters.
I also feel some of the rarities are a bit switched up, Zombie Apocalypse being the main one.