Resident Evil: Retribution Teaser Subtly Promotes Sony Gear

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Resident Evil: Retribution Teaser Subtly Promotes Sony Gear

Wait, did I say "subtly?" I meant "the opposite of that."

Sony Pictures has finally offered a solid, official trailer for the upcoming Resident Evil: Retribution (the latest film with supposed ties to Capcom's survival horror series that, let's be honest, is really just an excuse to see Milla Jovovich murder zombies in hilariously over-the-top fashion), and in a move that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who understands capitalism, the majority of the clip is an ad for Sony's various gadgets.

Don't believe me? Hit play on the embedded video, but pause it at the 0:35 mark. What did you just watch? A typical Sony ad, right?

Then, in a segue that is equal parts clever and baffling, the clip transitions into a teaser for the film. Was it a stretch to link the protagonist's dialogue to the silly ad copy of the first segment? Of course it was, but as you'll notice, this clip couldn't care less about things like "congruency" or "being faithful to its source material."

Let's play a game: Other than the Umbrella Corporation logos, and the surprisingly excellent Ada Wong costume, how many things in that clip can also be found in the Resident Evil videogame series? If your answer is "well, they seem to be breathing oxygen, and I'm pretty sure Leon Kennedy does that a few times in Resident Evil 4" you are correct, and also a pedantic jerk.

Resident Evil: Retribution hits theaters this fall, making it the fourth Resident Evil property we'll see this year.

UPDATE: It has also just been pointed out that the trailer uses music from the recent Tron: Legacy. Specifically, Daft Punk's "Recognizer." [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1eI-7XWjho] We are at a loss to explain this.

UPDATE 2: Though the original version of the video was taken down, we have replaced it with an upload from the official Sony Pictures YouTube channel.

skatch13

Feb 2, 2010
It is a sony film, they used sony gadgets. Personally i thought the transition was clever. It also has more to do with the original Resident Evil games than RE4. Is it a faith full adaptation? Not at all, is it about a chick killing zombies, why yes yes it is.

Look the RE film series has never been accused of being art, but someone likes them, and a good many people watch them. They always make money. They are zombie films dont need alot of plot there.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
That was painful to watch. Also, I don't think Sony technology is quite worthy of Tron music. I can't live inside my PS3 (yet).

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
I have no idea what I watched. Originally with that Earth revolving felt like I was able to watching a preview for Zombieland 2.

Aside from that, just a few questions. Why was Alice hugging a little girl it what looked like the street from Dawn of the Dead the remake? Two why is everyone alive again, and three why the @&!% is Alice is on top of the roof of the WC.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
The video appears to have been marked Private.
Shame, i was reallllllllllllllly looking forward to seeing the trailer after the rave review this article gave it :(

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
Shame, i was reallllllllllllllly looking forward to seeing the trailer after the rave review this article gave it :(
Ohnoes! Lemme see what I can do about finding another source.

Update: Okay, I replaced the old video with a new upload from Sony's YouTube channel. It should work for you guys now.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Ohnoes! Lemme see what I can do about finding another source.

Update: Okay, I replaced the old video with a new upload from Sony's YouTube channel. It should work for you guys now.
Huzzah!

Yeah that was pretty much what i was expecting. It might have made SOME sense if this was a new Terminator movie or something with the "technology advancing rapidly.. imagine the world of tomorrow blah blah cliché line"

Even still this trailer doesnt beat the product placement in:
<youtube=tQmEd_UeeIk>
Sony Laptop, TV, Camera/Phone
Clothing
Perfume
+ probably others ive missed

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I long ago stopped pretending these films had anything to do with the games (I stopped pretending the games had anything to do with the games when I was fighting 'zombies' who were shooting back, will that stop me getting RE6? Hell no, "Mr. President!"). In fact, I think the films started getting better once they stopped trying to be like them. 3 was a lot of fun and Afterlife was an utterly glorious load of nonsense. These are really the only action movies I enjoy anymore, they're so wonderfully over the top but have added Resi bits and pieces to make it all feel like some absurdist fanfic written by a fourteen year old.

I loved this trailer and can't wait for it now. In fact I'm almost tempted to say I'm looking forward to this more than Dark Knight Rises. Which is saying a lot for me. Although what's with the recent spate of trailers all having their most iconic images to do with the white house and it being attacked in some way. Resi 6, this and the similarly named GI Joe Retaliation.

As for the TRON music. Finally. That entire score is ideal for trailers (it would fit Mass Effect perfectly) and their choice to use it moremakes me love this trailer even more. It needs to get used in more trailers.