EA Launches Dragon Age Incentive Survey

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Launches Dragon Age Incentive Survey

Would a little Dragon Age: Origins [http://masseffect.bioware.com/]? EA wants to know!

BioWare [http://www.ea.com] sent out a survey last night asking fans a few questions about the upcoming RPGs Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins. While it was brief and fairly straightforward - Do you own Mass Effect, are you planning on buying Mass Effect 2, are you aware of Dragon Age, etc. - there was a focus on some Dragon Age: Origins/Mass Effect 2 cross-game promotions EA may be considering.

The survey asks whether participants would be more likely to buy Dragon Age: Origins if it came with exclusive Mass Effect 2 content like a custom character skin, a unique weapon or piece of armor, a bonus mission, a demo or a $5 rebate coupon. An option to "make your own incentive" is also offered.

It looks like EA may be hedging its bets at bit with Dragon Age, hitching its new and unproven IP wagon to the can't-miss mega-hit of Mass Effect 2. I'm not a big fan of cross-game promotions but from a business standpoint I suppose it makes sense; Dragon Age is by all reports considerably different than what RPG fans have come to expect from BioWare and gamers unfamiliar with the studio's Baldur's Gate [http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs_gate/] roots may be put off by what they see.

So how about it? Will some Mass Effect goodies make you more likely to run out and pick up Dragon Age: Origins? What's it going to take to put you behind the wheel of this game today?

WeedWorm

Nov 23, 2008
I was planning on getting Dragon Ages anyway but if theres some Mass Effect 2 stuff included, sweet deal.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Yes, some Mass Effect 2 stuff probably would help me buy Dragon Age...

At least that's what I'm going to tell Bioware, I was secretly planning to buy Dragon Age all along.

Apr 28, 2008
WeedWorm said:
I was planning on getting Dragon Ages anyway but if theres some Mass Effect 2 stuff included, sweet deal.
Same here, the Mass Effect 2 extra would just be a pleasent bonus for a game I am already going to get.

Hell my mind was set on getting in when it was announced it wouldn't have any over the top DRM.

Runic

Mar 28, 2009
I find it odd that they're trying to sell a game by giving bonuses to another game not yet released, like if Dragon Age will suck enough you will at least feel happy having bonuses in ME 2...
*Insert Twilight Zone Music Here*

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
WeedWorm said:
Pretty much this. I've already got Dragon Age on Pre-order!
But adding ME2 stuff would certainly sweeten the deal, since I'll also be getting that!

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Well that depends, if I still get ME2 bonuses with a PS3 copy of Dragon Ages then yes, yes it probably would. Otherwise, I'll just be annoyed because I'll feel like I have to buy a 360 copy.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Yes, some Mass Effect 2 stuff probably would help me buy Dragon Age...

At least that's what I'm going to tell Bioware, I was secretly planning to buy Dragon Age all along.
My thoughts exactly. Me, I'm going with the "bonus Mass Effect character" option.

And if you give me an extra mission, I will tell alllll my friends to buy it, tooooooo.....

:D

Woem

May 28, 2009
Where can we find this survey? Was/is it private or can we participate?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
They should just try harder to make it look like Dragon Age isn't half low quality fantasy fiction and half offensive pandering. I wasn't planning on buying Mass Effect 2 either.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm planning on buying both games anyway but this kind of thing annoys me a bit, I have to admit. The whole idea of "incentives" irritates me. You want to give me an incentive to buy your games? Make them not suck.

See how simple that is?

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
No, it won't help me buy Dragon Age... it might help me along to buy Mass Effect 2. I was planning to get Dragon Age since I saw the cover story on GI.

MontyGommo

Oct 21, 2008
I'm not planning on buying Mass Effect 2 - didn't really enjoy the first one.

I am planning on buying Dragon Age if i can afford it though.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
The fact that they try to sell people ME2 goodies as "incentive" seems like they are covering up for a lack of quality in DA:O.

The fact that they are selling you non-refundable parts of ME2 seems like they are trying to scam as many people as possible before they discover a lack of quality in ME2.

Remember the free WAR hat you got with the RA3 collectors edition? Both games sucked.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Game could come with a golden ticket to willie wonkers & I still wouldnt get it unless enough reviews said it was good

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Ironically I am more interested in Dragon Age then I am currently in Mass Effect 2, so the inverse of providing me with something cool in Dragon Age would make me more interested in picking up Mass Effect 2 than vice versa.