I Am Alive is Alive!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I Am Alive is Alive!

The long-awaited I Am Alive finally has a release date.

It's been a long time coming but Ubisoft's I Am Alive is just about ready to show its face in public. A lot can happen over the next month in a half but Ubi must like it because it has finally, figuratively at least, put a ring on it.

I Am Alive's development hasn't necessarily been troubled but it sure has been interesting. It first came to light at E3 all the way back in 2008 with an intriguing trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6Aely9YrQ] that promised a more realistic take on the immediate aftermath of an apocalyptic event. But soon after the first real details came to light in 2009, the game was taken away from indie studio Darkworks and given to Ubisoft Shanghai; a furor erupted a couple of years later over a fake report that the game would be released exclusively through digital channels because Ubisoft didn't "have much faith in the title," but then it came to light that the game actually would be digital-only, and not for the PC, which led to another PR uproar.

Wow! That does sound kind of troubled, doesn't it? Anyway, now we can finally say something about the game that isn't just pointless kerfuffle, as Ubisoft has announced that I Am Alive will crash the Xbox Live Arcade House Party [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/Promotions/House-Party] on March 7, for just 1200 Microsoft Points.

It looks a little different than what was originally announced, however. Instead of "six days later," the game will take place a full year after the "Event," when the "everyman" hero returns to his destroyed hometown to search for his wife and daughter. It's not a happy return: buildings are ruined, the streets are covered in toxic ash and the people have been reduced to doing whatever it takes to survive.

A lot has changed over the years but I still dig the concept. A "real" post-apocalyptic game that takes a hard look at what happens to civilization in the face of a cataclysmic event could be a whole lot of fun. Am I expecting too much? Probably, but here's hoping that at least it doesn't suck. To learn more about I Am Alive, hit up iamalive-game.ubi.com [http://iamalive-game.ubi.com].

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
http://feelpavan.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/johnny-5.jpg I would have expected a steeper price than $15 converted considering development time.
it was built on by an independent indie studio for ubi from 2008 to 2010 and then passed on to a cheap asian studio so it probably did not cost alot of money.

Jul 9, 2008
Damn, I had high hopes for this game, and I was really excited to hear it's actually being made, but only for XBLA? That puts it out of my reach, unfortunately.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Well won't be getting this game as its XBLA only source. . Why can't they package it with another game so people can also get it via retail? It's not like you don't have games later in year. Even maybe just put a code in box of another game if you don't want to waste disc space.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, these details coupled with Ubisoft insulting me for playing on the PC means I probably won't get this. Shame, I was really, really excited for it.

Surviving in Chicago after a huge Earthquake, needing to gather food, water and all that while dealing with survivors and holding out until rescue comes... it sounded awesome.

But now... just seems rather "eh".

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I could have sworn that this was being developed for PS3 as well, Wikipedia thinks so too but it refuses to acknowledge an actual date?

Well, I don't have a lot of faith that a game with such troubled development will be any good, so Xbox can test the waters if there is in fact a PS3 version coming. If the game is good (and I am really craving a realistic survival game in a post apocalyptic enviroment, and all I have left to fill such a void in my soul is a modded Fallout 3 that feels too damn familiar), then I will buy it. Again though, assuming a PS3 version exists.

Calumon: I think they kept going because headlines would've been confusing if it was cancelled...

boag

Sep 13, 2010
I really do a great story comes from this game, Im not expecting much from gameplay or visuals, but I am really intrigued by the story premise.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I was really interested in this game every since I saw the trailer for it back during E3. I am very happy to hear it isn't dead in the water anymore and that its actually a lot cheaper then I expected it to be.

Sep 14, 2009
Irridium said:
Well, these details coupled with Ubisoft insulting me for playing on the PC means I probably won't get this. Shame, I was really, really excited for it.

Surviving in Chicago after a huge Earthquake, needing to gather food, water and all that while dealing with survivors and holding out until rescue comes... it sounded awesome.

But now... just seems rather "eh".
agreed entirely by this.

also, i do know it is based off of smaller/indie developer work, but 1200 MS points? hm...i'm a little bit surprised by the price, the game must have a ton of cut content or be extremely sloppy...

still, unless it gets a PC release that is actually worth porting, ubisoft will be looking at my big finger instead of my wallet.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
XBLA only? Well then, they can quite happily go shove it. I've had to many games stop being "active" on my account for me to try another. My favorite one is undertow, which I have high scores for the later levels on, but it insists on saying I never paid for it, which I did.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
This...doesn't look as good as the original trailer. Something seems...different, idk. It's not the same game I was excited for and its by ubisoft who I already have a standing personal boycott cuz of DRM

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I'm really digging all the flack its getting. Seems fun to rip on this.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
haven't actually heard much about it, but if it's halfway decent I might take a look at it when it comes out

Mar 26, 2008
I Am... actually going to get this. 1200 MS points is piss nothing. This an Alan Wake will hopefully be enough to steal me away from Skyrim.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I was really looking forward to this game, especially when I saw those later trailers, but then I found out it was Download only, which sorta stops me from getting it, now I read its Xbox only, now I'll definitely never get my hands on it.

Good thing this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGxubfC1Ik] showed up looking way better and available to me. Although unfortunately the two look different enough that I'd probably get the two of them. Hopefully Naughty dog takes notes after the release of I am Alive and tweaks their game a bit, although maybe they are more similar than I think, its hard to tell from the trailer.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
March 7th you say? Isn't that a day after Mass Effect 3? Well know I now what I will be playing when I finish ME3.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am primarily a PC gamer. It's the best of the three platforms by a long shot. I hate Ubisoft for both their Draconian and useless DRM (useless against piracy, it only prevents us honest folks from playing the game). But, I was excited for this and was actually going to give them my money for the PS3 version... which I guess doesn't exist. So, I guess Ubisoft may as well not exist. I mean, they are releasing a highly anticipated title on a single system. These guys are so inept it's almost completely pointless to pay them any attention. If they don't want my money, then I simply won't give it to them.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
"The Event?" Wow, a Mitchell and Webb game! Seriously though this sounds kinda interesting