Australia Voting on R18+ Game Rating in February

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Australia Voting on R18+ Game Rating in February

Despite government shakeups, the plan to get mature games unbanned in Australia moves forward.

Australia has been a hotbed of controversy in the mature games debate, but here's a quick recap: The videogame system down under has no rating for games that might not be suitable for a younger audience. There is no M for Mature rating, and if games like Grand Theft Auto IV or Mortal Kombat receives no rating by the board, it is effectively banned in the country. Even innocuous titles like the Michael Atkinson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114858-Syndicate-Banned-in-Australia-UPDATED] was opposed to allowing anyone to play these games.

As it (sometimes) happens when people are unhappy with politicians, Atkinson was voted out of office, and a new government was formed. It looked like a deal for an R18+ rating had been worked out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111825-R18-Coming-to-Australia-in-A-Couple-of-Months] with the new coalition, but after one of the bill's proponents - Federal Minister for Home Affairs Brendan O'Connor - had his job switched around to be a Minister for Human Services, the R18+ rating was in question because his successor Jason Clare had kept quiet his opinions on the subject. Thankfully, the new Federal Minister for Home Affairs office has now confirmed the vote on R18+ will go forward as planned during the February session of parliament.

"Our plans are to introduce the R18+ bill in the first session of parliament this year," said a spoksperson. "If it passes the Lower House, it will then go to the Senate for the same process."

While that seems promising, the new videogame rating bill still needs the support of several MPs in the Lower House, as well as the Senate before it gets written into Australian law. Still, it is good to hear the process is moving forward and no crazy Attorney General like Atkinson or Greg Smith [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114034-Australian-Attorney-General-Calls-For-Violent-Videogame-Ban] is intent on mucking it up.

Source: GameSpot Australia [http://au.gamespot.com/news/6349011.html]

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
But we did have Fallout 3 over here, I believe they just changed the name of Morpheine to Med-X. Tsk tsk Mr Tito.

But anyway, this is good news nonetheless. It's just depressing that I may never get to play Left 4 Dead 2 uncensored (they even changed the cricket bat of all things).

Jamane

Sep 24, 2010
Pegghead said:
But we did have Fallout 3 over here, I believe they just changed the name of Morpheine to Med-X. Tsk tsk Mr Tito.

But anyway, this is good news nonetheless. It's just depressing that I may never get to play Left 4 Dead 2 uncensored (they even changed the cricket bat of all things).
it has the dates of all the times you Aussies beat us at cricket... (jammie bastards) thats actually hilarious

OT: thats good for them and the worldfinally has gamming balance

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Good luck to ye Aussies, here's hopping you'll be up to your armpits in dead prostitutes and dismembered Ghouls by this time next year.
And playing R18 video games, as well.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
So there's hope for David and Yahtzee? Congratulations, guys!

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
I thought Atkinson stepped down, but anyway...

ALMOST THERE!!! Australia will soon have a sensible system.

Chaosweaver

Jul 9, 2010
Bob_F_It said:
I thought Atkinson stepped down, but anyway...
He wasn't voted out of office, he just lost a chunk of his majority and then stepped down as Attorney General (but is still a member of the SA Parliament).

Between this and the Fallout 3 error, this is a badly researched article.

That said, bring on the damn rating already.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Greg Tito said:
There is no M for Mature rating
Typo? We have an "M" rating.

It is a rating of "recommended for mature audiences" and comes between PG (parental guidance recommended) and MA15+ (not suitable for people under 15)

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I was going to be a prick and point out the research mistakes in this article. However it seems everyone else has this covered, instead I'll just thank Greg for the update.
Thanks Greg.

EDIT: I actually just realised something they missed. (Sorry about this)
Because of the ridiculous game prices over here it's frequently significantly cheaper to import games from the U.S or U.K.

Jul 9, 2008
Caffiene said:
Greg Tito said:
Typo? We have an "M" rating.

It is a rating of "recommended for mature audiences" and comes between PG (parental guidance recommended) and MA15+ (not suitable for people under 15)
I think he meant that there is no equivalent to the M rating here in the US, which is the highest rating except AO (Adults Only), which most stores refuse to stock.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
I think he meant that there is no equivalent to the M rating here in the US, which is the highest rating except AO (Adults Only), which most stores refuse to stock.
Ah, you could be right... It could do with rewording, like "There is no equivalent to the US's M for Mature rating". As it stands its confusing and a bit misleading.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
"looks at Fallout 3 GOTY edtion on shelf"

uhhh you may want to re-phrase that (as somone alrady said..it was to do with med-x/morphine)

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Quick note, Michael Atkinson wasn't voted out of office, he stepped down voluntarily, although I can't remember the reason off the top of my head.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I approve. Pass this for the sanity of your gamers Australia!

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Greg, just had to clarify some points for you mate.

Would you believe there is a 'mature' MA15+ rating. That's actually one step higher than just an M rating. An M rated game / movie can be purchased by a minor, but a game / movie rated MA15+ cannot be sold to anyone under 15. What is missing in an R18+ rating. We have an R18+ rating for movies, just not for games. So content that would normally be classified to be in the R18+ territory, and exceeds what would be allowed for an MA15+ rating is simply refused classification.

Even innocuous titles like the upcoming Syndicate reboot or Fallout 3 are unable to be purchased in Australia (well, without expensively importing it).
Importing games is actually cheaper. With the Australian dollar being close to parity with the US dollar, we can import games for $60-$70 AU. Local game prices see the RRP of Australian titles range from the $99- $120 range. This has actually prompted some local businesses like Harvey Norman, to start offering an import game service, in this case, shipping the games from Ireland. http://www.harveynormandirectimport.com/

It's very rare I buy a game locally anymore. I import, or buy CD keys and then download the games through Steam / Origin.

Also, Fallout 3 is allowed to be sold in Australia. It was originally refused classification, but once Bethesda renamed the in game drugs used, like Morphine to something not resembling its real life counterpart it was allowed to be sold.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I hope this all works out for our friends down under! I say that it's about damn time they introduce an R18+ rating!

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
It's good to see that the medium might be recognised as something adults can enjoy too in this country, but frankly, I really don't care about the outcome because...
Don said:
Importing games is actually cheaper. With the Australian dollar being close to parity with the US dollar, we can import games for $60-$70 AU. Local game prices see the RRP of Australian titles range from the $99- $120 range. This has actually prompted some local businesses like Harvey Norman, to start offering an import game service, in this case, shipping the games from Ireland. http://www.harveynormandirectimport.com/

It's very rare I buy a game locally anymore. I import, or buy CD keys and then download the games through Steam / Origin.

Callum Walker

Jul 11, 2011
Strange, everyone is commenting about the fallout 3 mistake, but what about gta4? That's only MA15+ and It's on my shelf right now. Is it banned in certain parts of the country? because in Perth you can get it.