242: Arsenal Freedom

C J Davies

Jan 22, 2010
Arsenal Freedom

Just as speculative fiction foretold computers and the Internet, some of the weapons in today's shooters might just end up in tomorrow's armies. C J Davies profiles some of new military advancements that may have been inspired by videogames.

Read Full Article

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
There's really nothing special about Israel's trophy system. It is a thing that many militaries world wide are working on incorporating today. The simple basics are that a radar detects incoming missiles and the onboard countermeasure computer (or whatever nifty name it gets) fires something akin to a shotgun blast at the incoming missile to force it into exploding prematurely. This not only removes the kinetic impact but also the advantage of the shaped charge warhead, in similar ways to the "reactive" armor used on most modern tanks.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
that isreal "forcefield" is just a point-defense system, an AMS. Nothing to do with shields.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Fiction will always lead technology. You need to imagine it before you can make it happen. We have been creating better and more creative ways to kill each other ever since we figured out that rocks hurt, I pitty any alien race that was ever foolish enough to declare war on earth.

We've been in training for a long time.

The rail gun made me smile, it reminded me of quake 2 and how with the lag on a 56k modem it was damn near unusable in multiplayer. It looked pretty though. I think that the navy versions lack of blue spiral following the round is an oversight, heres hoping it makes it into the finished product.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
THey should have made the hilarity bomb, that would have been genius!

thatguy96

Feb 23, 2010
bjj hero said:
Fiction will always lead technology. You need to imagine it before you can make it happen.
I think this might have been the case up until around the turn of the 20th century, but in the day and age of videogames, most of what you see in them has been proposed to some degree already either to the military or within it. There's very little the US military hasn't tried.

Before 1980, the US military alone had already experimented or explored directed energy weapons (including lasers and concentrated sound), armed remotely controlled aircraft, hyper-velocity projectiles (including exploring the railgun concept, which is generally limited by the need for immense power rather than anything else), a liquid land mine capable of being sprayed on the ground or from the air, the use of the A-12/SR-71 airframe as a bomber capable of dropping a solid projectile to create a localized earthquake, a constellation of satellites that could redirect sunlight to any spot of the globe to illuminate battlefields at night, nuclear powered aircraft, a camouflage system that could be sprayed from the air over vehicles and troop emplacements, weather modification (including hurricane and tornado seeding), disorienting hallucinogens, trained sea mammals (still in use)...I mean the list goes on and on.

During the 1970s and 1980s, proposals for various orbital weapons (including things like orbital lasers, missile launchers, etc) were made, eventually leading to the "Star Wars" missile defense program.

Space based weapons and weather modification even have international treaties either in effect or being proposed banning their implementation. The Enviornmental Modification (ENMOD) convention dates to 1977. The first treaty demilitarizing space dates to 1967. The Soviets proposed a treaty demilitarizing the moon in 1979. I think at this point, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a weapon or military scenario that hasn't already been thought up by one military or another at some level before.

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
I was going to correct you on the "civil war era rifleman", since what they were mostly equipped was considered a musket. But you are right because the main weapon of use, the Springfield 1861, was a rifled musket, so it technically is a rifle. Anyway, this was a good read and the Rods from God weapon system is to me the most fascinating and unfortunately the one least likely to happen because of the space demilitarizing treaties that popped up during and after the cold war.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I want them to make a magnetic deflector shield, or something to that effect.

Oyster^^

Dec 27, 2008
Always loved the idea of a rail gun. It just sounds so darn nifty. I wonder about a gay-bomb though... that just seems bizarre. Possibly it would only encourage better comradeship? Heh and I wonder how they went about developing such a thing. And how they tested it.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
Just sayin that the heartbeat sensor was ripped right out of aliens, and not from MW,
And a magnetic deflector shield, although possible would screw up any electronics within its range and wouldnt block anything without steel, iron or nickel in it.
But railguns are awesme

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Strange. Just last night I saw a special on the discovery science channel that detailed current progress in the world of ray guns, force fields, and rail guns. Could be a coincidence. It was called Sci Fi Science.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The idea of a Railgun like it has been showne truly is a scary thought.

I remember seeing it in Transformers...Wow!

fatalXception

Dec 4, 2009
There seems to be a general consensus that fiction inspires fact when it comes to advances in technology but I think one finds that in reality it's the other way around.

Not that I'm trying to be boring or anything like that, obviously it's awesome if somebody puts a technology into a game or story or whatever and some scientist thinks it's cool enough to try and make a real one. But the reality is, most of this stuff is "imagined up" by hearing the rumours about what the military or private sector are experimenting with, and running with a sexed-up imaginary/misinterpreted version of it.

Hammer of dawn / Unreal tournament's Ion painter...look back to the Cold War, several decades ago, before videogames even existed - they had already invented the concept of orbital bombardment. Just never built any. As thatguy96 already pointed out, the US Military has tried some batshit-insane ideas (not to mention the crazy stuff they came up with during WW2II)

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
C J Davies said:
Arsenal Freedom

Just as speculative fiction foretold computers and the Internet, some of the weapons in today's shooters might just end up in tomorrow's armies. C J Davies profiles some of new military advancements that may have been inspired by videogames.

Read Full Article
I've heard of quite of few of these innovations, and I love how they work. For example, the trophy system acts through using radar to fire counter-projectiles at the RPGs before they hit, causing the round to explode before penetration (you can see it working on Honey Badger in the beginning of "Exodus" in MW2). However, I can do you one better: there's a real laser cannon developed by Israel.

It's called the <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxUUNGHE74&feature=related>MTHEL which stands for Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser (though in the video it lacks the M) It works by firing a microwave laser at any airborne object, such as a missile or artillery round, and exploding the charge or fuel supply in mid-air. I can hazard that this could potentially even destroy enemy planes on their way to a target.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
C J Davies said:
Best to avoid the shit-talking turrets from Portal
"Shit-talking?" I might have gone for "overly-friendly," because if any character in a game talked less "shit" than those turrets, it was mute.

Also, check out number nine on this list [http://www.cracked.com/article_18410_the-12-most-insane-things-you-can-buy-internet.html].

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Now I'm having a hard time deciding which weapon is more badass, a giant satellite laser, or a satellite that drops giant metal poles at 7000 MP/H. I hope some game developer read this article, 'cause I can't wait to to try it out.

As for the robotic drones; I doubt technology will be able to emulate human insight and intuition, at least not in the near future, while these aspects are vital things to have in combat. More research funding will probably be poured into making tanks even more indestructible, instead of advanced robot AI, and I'm okay with that.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Chasmodius said:
C J Davies said:
Best to avoid the shit-talking turrets from Portal
"Shit-talking?" I might have gone for "overly-friendly," because if any character in a game talked less "shit" than those turrets, it was mute.

Also, check out number nine on this list.
I clicked your 'list' link, but I got a 404...

And while we're on the subject of Portal's turrets, I wonder how effective these things would be in real life.
Think about it: besides being armed with a buttload of bullets and, with proper AI, sniper-like accuracy, the bad guys/good guys/lab-rats that manage to find cover before they're turned into Swiss cheese can still be destroyed psychologically by a honey-sweet yet mechanical voice inquiring whether or not they're still on the premises.
Not to mention the agony they feel once they tip one of those things over, only to hear: "No hard feelings" or "I don't blame you".