Star Wars Kinect Trailer Worth a Laugh, I Guess

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Star Wars Kinect Trailer Worth a Laugh, I Guess

You don't have to be a TV star to embody Obi-Wan Kenobi, but it certainly helps.

The whole Kinect thing was really exciting back in 2010, but my interest in the technology has kind of waned along with the number of robot hacks. The Star Wars Kinect title teased in the vaporware [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101613-E3-2010-Playing-With-Myself-Impressions-of-Kinect], but just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in. Surfacing on the web today is a short British commercial - at least it uses the PEGI rating logo - for the game starring a doofy American actor best known for his role on the sitcom Parks & Recreation. Yeah, I didn't know his name was Chris Pratt until I saw this trailer either.

I'll let you watch it yourself before I offer my criticism.

[video=5293]

There's about a million things wrong with this "trailer." First, we don't see any footage from the game. Why tease a game everyone knows exists without ever showing us how it will look or play? Scared we will tear it apart again?

I had no problem with Chris Pratt before, but watching a grown-ass dude jump around with a lightsaber isn't all that funny when it's sheer promotion. The lightsaber kid was funny [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU] because he didn't know his film would be an internet sensation. There was an earnestness to that kid's fight choreography, which is completely absent with Pratt prattling around like an idiot.

Lastly, the whole point of a Star Wars Kinect game is to envision yourself as a Jedi, complete with all the emotion and gravitas that entails. We want to pretend we're Obi-Wan, not some schlep in a dingy robe. We want to battle and defeat the menacing Darth Vader, not elicit exasperated sighs from him.

By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material.

You know, like George Lucas has done for the last fifteen years. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112701-LucasFilms-Confirms-adding-NOOOOOO-to-Return-of-the-Jedi]

*sigh*

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ew that was bad. For one thing, I cannot stand that Darth Vader voice. Matt Sloan might have been funny as Chad Vader, but he's fucking terrible as the actual darth.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
wait thats the actual thing? it looks like a bad parody...
even though that last part was rather funny :p
and that new xbox skin looks nice...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
What the fuck was that?

Oh wait, I know! The death of any desire I remotely had for this game, good job!

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Never had a desire to play the game in the first place. This was just another nail in the coffin.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I haven't given a shit about Star Wars since Episode 1 came out. In all honesty I enjoyed that clip, it's a bad advertisement (in every way), but at least it's funny.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The R2D2 360 cover and the 3CPO controller look cool I guess but would anyone want to buy it?

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
"By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material."

Ah, star wars fans. Gotta hate em.

I'm sure there will be a follow up ad soon enough for gameplay. I'll judge then on whether to buy it or not when it comes out. It did look promising in the early gameplay ads.

Live long and prosper.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Good thing George Lucas is leaving Star Wars alone, now let's see if the new guys in charge will treat it with some respe-

What the actual fuck?

So, I guess... Star Wars: Frat Boy Edition?

fabiosooner

Sep 3, 2010
RewardMe said:
"By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material."

I'm sure there will be a follow up ad soon enough for gameplay. I'll judge then on whether to buy it or not when it comes out.
Word. I don't share the same optimism about the game as you, but I agree with all the rest

Escapist - "By poking fun at a scene many of us hold ****to be sacred****"

Now, I don't remember Escapist being this nerdy one or two years ago. If that's 'video game culture' now (or back again?), sorry, I'm out. I don't wanna live with this kind of childish attitude.

No wonder the Extra Credits guys left.[*]

[*] Don't waste time pointing out that there was the charity thing. I don't care. The point is that the Escapist has been in a downward spiral of negativity, nerdy sarcasm and snobbish attitutes in its articles lately - stuff that only reinforce the worst stereotypes about gaming, stuff that Extra Credits always defended we should avoid.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
fabiosooner said:
RewardMe said:

I'm sure there will be a follow up ad soon enough for gameplay. I'll judge then on whether to buy it or not when it comes out.
Word. I don't share the same optimism about the game as you, but I agree with all the rest

Now, I don't remember Escapist being this nerdy one or two years ago. If that's 'video game culture' now (or back again?), sorry, I'm out. I don't wanna live with this kind of childish attitude.

[*] Don't waste time pointing out that there was the charity thing. I don't care. The point is that the Escapist has been in a downward spiral of negativity, nerdy sarcasm and snobbish attitutes in its articles lately - stuff that only reinforce the worst stereotypes about gaming, stuff that Extra Credits always defended we should avoid.
It's 'fanboy mentality'. I'm not necessarily criticizing it (after all, I am a self-admitted Persona/Atlus fanboy). But yeah, it should be recognized for it is. It's when games/lore becomes more than games, and starts to become personalized emotionally

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Greg Tito said:
By poking fun at a scene many of us hold to be sacred, Lucasarts made sure that I will never purchase this game. I cannot support anything that so disregards its source material.
Woah! And I thought I was protective of Star Wars.
Dude, it's a commercial that makes a fair attempt to be funny. Chill.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
fabiosooner said:
RewardMe said:

Yeah, I agree. The snobbery levels have increased quite a lot recently.
I already voiced my annoyance at how fanboy-esque it is that The Escapist always, without fail, has a jab at the prequels in some way, no matter what Star Wars thing they are writing the article about.

OT: Yeah, it's a bad advert. But not because of 'poking fun of a sacred scene'. It was just unfunny, didn't have any gameplay in it, and made little to no sense.

Fuck it, just give us Battlefront 3, more Clone Wars, and a Force Unleashed sequel that does the first one justice. Now that was a game that made you feel like a badass Force-user.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Ok, the "Swing and a miss" part was funny, but this ad shows absolutely nothing about the game itself. Also, why would they show parts of the movies that wont EVER be in the game?

Seems like they know that this game will be fail and are trying to improve their chances by making cool ads.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Captain Pirate said:
Yeah, I agree. The snobbery levels have increased quite a lot recently.
I already voiced my annoyance at how fanboy-esque it is that The Escapist always, without fail, has a jab at the prequels in some way, no matter what Star Wars thing they are writing the article about
Yeah, well, I would settle for decapitation, but as that is physically out of the question, the prequels deserve all the jabs they can get.

And then they shall burn in hell.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It was pretty lame all right, but it made me chuckle a bit in some places, especially at the end.
Also, please, in my opinion, this was no different than the millions of parodies out there.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I actually thought it was pretty funny. Terrible advertisement, but funny.

Bad day, Greg? You're talking about that scene like they insulted your religi...

... Oh, shit, are you a Jedi?