Latest Minecraft Build Adds Kitties

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Latest Minecraft Build Adds Kitties

Minecraft 1.2 will include a tameable, breedable jungle cat.

Markus "Notch" Persson has handed off development of Minecraft to the able-bodied hands of Jens Bergensten and he hasn't let up on adding new features. The 1.2 version that's up for testing right now on the server has a couple of bug fixes and a new skeleton AI but the really cool addition is a new tameable pet. The ocelot is a jungle-based pet, and can be bred just like wolves. The 12w04a build is available on Mojang's website now.

The cute little cats spawn only in jungle and forests, and will multiply when fed raw fish. Which makes sense, really, when you think about it. The cats come in three varieties: orange calico, white with black feet, and black with a white belly.

[gallery=631]

The skeleton AI is also welcome change as the mobs will no longer hang out when the sun comes up and just burn to death. The new AI programs skeletons to seek shade or go under water when dawn comes.

The full patch notes are below and you can find download mirrors on Mojang.com [http://mojang.com/2012/01/26/minecraft-snapshot-12w04a/].

New jungle-specific mob that can be tamed
Skeletons have new AI and a few new behaviors
Various minor bug fixes and changes
Added an experience item to creative mode
Added a flame item...
Updated language files

Jens Bergensten also noted that the game is shifting to a new version of Java with 1.2. "We've been using a really old version of LWJGL because last time we tried to update it the game broke down and became unplayable for a lot of people," he said. "We are going to try to update it again once we release Minecraft 1.2."

You can check out the kitties in action below:

The addition of kitties to Minecraft seems like it was inevitable. I mean, you have to have the yin of the hissing creepers to the yang of cute fuzzy ocelots. That's just how the world works.

Source: Mojang [http://mojang.com/2012/01/26/minecraft-snapshot-12w04a/]

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
This may make me a really shallow person, but this makes Minecraft suddenly a lot more appealing.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
.... Kittens?

Kittens.....?

KITTENS?

KITTENS?!?

You are not allowed to not buy this game now if you haven't already.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Couldn't help looking at the image of the youtube video - seeing that sheeps head sticking out of the tree and bursting out laughing (yes I'm easily amused).

With all the new mob AIs I'm gonna be slain a lot lot more than usual. Fingers crossed creepers dont get better pathfinding or I'm going to be in dust in craters all over my world. Overall I like the look of all thesechanges and additions: much better than those from 1.1 in my view.

Zackmeister

Oct 26, 2009
LilithSlave said:
.... Kittens?

Kittens.....?

KITTENS?

KITTENS?!?

Your avatar picture goes WAY too well with your post.

OT: Better monster AI is always awesome. I didn't even know there was a new jungle biome, so must find that. o.o

Stopdoor

Nov 4, 2011
I'm not usually overly negative about Minecraft or anything, but what good reason is there for skeletons to dodge light? Skeletons are already the hardest and most annoying mob for me to fight, and now I have to contend with them during the day too because they won't die?

Stuff like this and the hunger meter just seem to make the game harder for no real reason other than to make harder, which I'm not really a fan of.

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
>notch hands over production to jeb
>suddenly, tons of awesome updates

Skeletons look for shade and zombies can go round walls now? Let me guess, creepers are going to be hiding on my roof as well.

Lurklen

Feb 2, 2010
Great, now people who never leave their house and play minecraft all day can be crazy cat people in the game too.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
All I am curious about is what do Ocelots look like when they want to rip your flesh off? Because wolves look terrifying when you attack them. I want the Ocelots to look like that too.

OT: Minecraft certainly is getting a ton of boosts to itself isn't it?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I've always wanted to be a virtual crazy cat lady, and now everybody can!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Markus "Notch" Persson has handed off development of Minecraft to the able-bodied hands of Jens Bergensten and he hasn't let up on adding new features.
Though the mobs are mostly new hire Kågström [http://www.jonkagstrom.com/]'s department. He's doing the AI.

Greg Tito said:
Jens Bergensten also noted that the game is shifting to a new version of Java with 1.2. "We've been using a really old version of LWJGL
Unless I misread that, not a new version of Java but a new version of the Lightweight Java Game Library [http://lwjgl.org/].

Zackmeister said:
Your avatar picture goes WAY too well with your post.
Oh my God YES. I was hearing it in Pinkie Pie's voice.

Zackmeister said:
OT: Better monster AI is always awesome. I didn't even know there was a new jungle biome, so must find that. o.o
Start a new world. IIRC due to complaints about screwy edges where new worldgen meets old worldgen, Jeb disabled new biomes in old worlds.

Mr.Mattress said:
All I am curious about is what do Ocelots look like when they want to rip your flesh off?
Nothing as of now. They don't turn hostile. They're skittish as all hell, though. If you move suddenly around them they turn and run, which is annoying when you have a few cats already because they keep bumping into you, nudging you enough to count as a sudden movement. Shame I can't pen the cats in (they teleport to your side). I was hoping to make a pit of cats with a plank above it leading to a chicken coop. Then for comedy purposes I'd push the occasional chicken in.

Though let me tell you, when chickens and dogs are about and you accidentally hit a cat... it quickly turns into a short, brutal version of a Tweety & Sylvester cartoon.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
And now I need to inject Minecraft into my blood.

What? I will only commit to replacing my blood with Minecraft if they let me use a laser gun.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
If they're anything like real cats, they'll sit neaby and watch while you build stuff to "supervise". That's what my cats does anyway.

LilithSlave said:
.... Kittens?

Kittens.....?

KITTENS?

KITTENS?!?

I swear as I read that, I heard Pinkie Pie's voice shouting it in my head. Spooky.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Would anyone else really like to see a feature in the game, where you can build something in Creative Mode and then save that map, and then use the saved map file as a seed for Survival Mode? I think that'd be really cool.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png

There goes the neighborhood.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Seraj said:
This may make me a really shallow person, but this makes Minecraft suddenly a lot more appealing.
Look up the Yogscast on youtube, if you can stand their voices.

At any rate, first party development is basically just copy/paste from the mod community at this point. Namely Mo' Creatures in this case.