Alpha Protocol Gets Pre-Order Bonus Items

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Alpha Protocol Gets Pre-Order Bonus Items

Alpha Protocol has a unique pre-order bonus item promotion - you'll get different weapons depending on which retailer you pre-order with - but developer Obsidian says that people who don't pre-order at all won't be getting the short end of the stick.

Depending on where your allegiances lie when it comes to videogame retailers, you might be getting a slightly different Alpha Protocol experience than others. Gamecrazy [http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=alpha%20protocol] customers will receive items geared toward stealthy gameplay.

But what about people who want to pre-order Obsidian Entertainment's action-RPG from other stores, or who maybe don't want to pre-order it at all? Are they going to be missing out on a good part of the Alpha Protocol action just because they don't want to slap down a $5 deposit on a game? Obsidian doesn't think so.

"Weapons are an important part of Alpha Protocol's gameplay: players will choose from hundreds of weapon customization options in addition to the thousands of story and skill choices made," Matthew Rorie of Obsidian told The Escapist. "So these weapons are going to be fun bonuses for our fans, but they're not the only weapons and mods with some interesting attributes."

So, as intriguing a shotgun called the UC Regulator with good stats and mods sounds, you don't really need to pre-order unless you really want to - there are supposedly plenty of other guns in the game that are just as good.

This whole business of offering pre-order bonus items for games can be a neat promotion tool or run the risk of drastically changing the experience of a game solely because of how and where you buy your games. Obsidian's intent, they say, is only to deliver a little gift to the fans who have been waiting patiently for their game.

"Pre-orders are an important part of our industry," Rorie said. "When designing these, we simply wanted to reward fans of the game with a few different weapon options if they are excited enough to pre-order and play immediately on October 6."

The GameStop pre-order bonus is called the Assault Weapons Pack and includes two "specially modified weapons" in the UC Regulator and a rifle called the Rittergroupen Grizzly (nice name) with high accuracy, as well as some explosive sounding ammo like "epinephrine spikes." Michael Bay fans are probably going to go for this one.

The Gamecrazy bonus pack comes with the Hamilton Marksman, a high accuracy pistol, and the Samael Typhoon, a "high recoil control SMG," as well as some tranquilizer rounds, remote mines and "radio mimics." Sounds like the better choice for the Solid Snake/Sam Fisher wannabes.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Really makes the whole point of the pre-order bonus quite pointless then, doesn't it?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Are these weapons in the game itself aside from pre-order? If so it's just kind of a win quick strategy. The whole idea of these stupid pre-order bonuses are inane as hell.
This. If the guns are in the game I see no point at all other than "I want to have good guns in the beginning of the game."

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Radeonx said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Are these weapons in the game itself aside from pre-order? If so it's just kind of a win quick strategy. The whole idea of these stupid pre-order bonuses are inane as hell.
This. If the guns are in the game I see no point at all other than "I want to have good guns in the beginning of the game."
I remember the CoD:WaW pre-order bonus was getting the most powerful multi-player Sniper Rifle at the beginning, which completly broke balance, and was fucking stupid because there will be a lot of pissed of players getting killed by some rich guy who paid more.
Things like that make me mad. If they are going to give a bonus it shouldn't be in multiplayer unless it has no effect on the gameplay. (A cool looking skinned weapon with the same stats as its normal version, or something like that).

Jul 9, 2008
Oh damn it, there's no GameCrazies anywhere near me (in fact, this is the first I heard of it) and I intend to go stealth. Oh well, I was going to preorder it anyway.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
I don't think they're in the game, or at least are weapons modded in a way that's exclusive to the pre-order promotion. Sega's calling them "exclusive specially modified weapons and extras," so take that as you will.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Oh comon! I wanna be sneaky but I've never even heard of a GameCrazy! This is kinda stupid if you ask me, they should allow you to pick which set you want when you pre-order.

Then again, perhaps they shouldn't have them at all... ah whatever, I don't need any super-special weapons. And if I recall, Too Human did this as well with armor sets.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
I live in Belgium and we don't have Gamestops or GameCrazies anywhere. Not even in the countries that directly surround Belgium either. So they can shove all of this pre-order stuff right back up their asses. Why should I be denied content for the game I buy just because I didn't buy it at your store? I would blame the stores themselves but the publishers are the real douches so to hell with them. Even worse now even Insomniac (one of my favorites) is doing it to. I hate what the gaming industry has become.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Subzerowings said:
Even worse now even Insomniac (one of my favorites) is doing it to. I hate what the gaming industry has become.
Wait, what did Insomniac do? I know Sucker Punch did that with InFamous where you get a special power if you ordered it at Gamestop (and let me tell you, the Gigawatt blades are USELESS), but I'm unfamiliar with Insomniac doing this.

Anyway, I hate preorders like these, I prefer bonuses like a funny costume or something. Something that has no effect on the overall gameplay.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Does this apply to people who are getting the PC version? Because given Obsidian's history, Alpha Protocol will be a buggy mess on day one, and patches will inevitably arrive on the PC first.

Plus, if these weapons use in-game assets PC owners can probably just spawn the items in using the debug console :p

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Egads, pre-order items for something that isn't a MMO? Surely this isn't worth it then.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
Subzerowings said:
I live in Belgium and we don't have Gamestops or GameCrazies anywhere. Not even in the countries that directly surround Belgium either.
yeah that.. (only replace Belgium with the Netherlands)
also i never heard of a GameCrazies

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
orannis62 said:
Oh damn it, there's no GameCrazies anywhere near me (in fact, this is the first I heard of it) and I intend to go stealth. Oh well, I was going to preorder it anyway.
Gamecrazy is just that sneaky..

I will probably preorder it if I get the chance, but that because I just want the game, the extra weapons don't really factor in at all.