Dear Hype: E3 No Longer Wants You

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Dear Hype: E3 No Longer Wants You

Next-Gen.biz, Gamespot and now practicaly every website under the sun are reporting this weekend that the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), the industry organization behind the fabled E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) event, is in discussions with leading game industry publishers to dramatically reduce the size, scope and perhaps even the location of the annual game convention.

(Click the link above for the whole story.)

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Hmmm. I can't help feeling like there's something else going on here. It's been that way for years - millions of dollar budgets and all people talk about are the booth babes. What's so special (or not special, perhaps) about this year that the ESA members are all of a sudden coming to this conclusion? Perhaps the off year has seen marketing budgets cut. Perhaps there's some displeasure with the ESA. Perhaps I just need to get my tinfoil hat adjusted.

Thoughts?

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Iv'e been dwelling on this all day. I can't help but think that the show that gets put on by the big and small dollars could so better spent on a consumer show. Same or more coverage, certainly more word of mouth and they would have to do nothing more than what they do every year: show up with a ton of stations to play their games. They would have to reevaluate how they approach sneak peaks and year-long queues to play the Wii(iiiiiiiiiiiiii), but that aside every gamer has been dying for the opportunity to squeek into this show.

I must admit I've been wondering why this show is so big for a long long time.

If it's true, Farewell E3. Hello, E3!

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Considering that I don't actually attend any of these events and just read about them and watch videos from them on the net, I'd be more than happy to not have an E3 and instead get spaceworld back and whatever the equivalent sony and MS shows would be. All the big companies that are supposedly bailing on E3 are still going to need an event(s) of some description to show off their wares, so I doubt we will be missing out.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
I think the problem lies in the fact the amount of money spent on a so-so year. I mean this year there was no big "WOW", not even WoW had something great to show. Yeah the Wii was there, but most people were too busy going did they really name it the "Wii" to actually care about its cool features. Wiii.

So why would they want to spend the millions of dollars on a mediocre year? Or maybe this is an indication of what is planned for next year? Or I guess what is not planned for next year?

Spirit-of

Jul 31, 2006
I like coffee houses versus night clubs anyway.

That is, if the ESA is downsizing E3.

E3 has become a big, bloated show where the music is too loud, it's stuffy, and the hot women won't talk to me. Gimme a cafe latte, a scone, and an artsy collge chick any day of the week.

falselogic

Jul 18, 2006
Hasn't the 'state' of E3 been the elephant in the room for a long time anyway? For a supposedly professional show for media only, it certainly seemed to always be over run, by the most unprofessional of people...

Turning the show into what it is supposed to be really shouldn't stock people, well, I guess the fact that something is actually changing sort of is a shock

Shannon Drake

Jul 11, 2006
If the ESA was wise, they'd bring back E3 as a giant electronic gaming convention. I mean, that's basically what it is now, just pull back the "industry only" facade and throw open the doors to the masses. Then quietly schedule a business-only conference in another part of the country. You've already got one of the biggest electronic gaming spectacles out there, replete with floor shows, musical performances, and swag galore, you may as well call it a con and let the masses in.

infernomatic

Jul 12, 2006
Shannon Drake said:
If the ESA was wise, they'd bring back E3 as a giant electronic gaming convention. I mean, that's basically what it is now, just pull back the "industry only" facade and throw open the doors to the masses. Then quietly schedule a business-only conference in another part of the country. You've already got one of the biggest electronic gaming spectacles out there, replete with floor shows, musical performances, and swag galore, you may as well call it a con and let the masses in.
Give this man a raise!

Open it up to the general public. Display some demos, give away free stuff, sell some product... sounds good to me.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Shannon Drake said:
just pull back the "industry only" facade and throw open the doors to the masses.
The only problem with that idea is that they would need a venue about 10 times bigger to fit in everyone that wanted to go. Otherwise it would end up being pretty much how it is anyway because "the masses" wouldn't be able to get a ticket.

Shannon Drake

Jul 11, 2006
Goofonian said:
The only problem with that idea is that they would need a venue about 10 times bigger to fit in everyone that wanted to go. Otherwise it would end up being pretty much how it is anyway because "the masses" wouldn't be able to get a ticket.
Up the admission fee to an appropriate level, possibly using a tiered "zones" system. You want to go to the Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony showdown? $100 a day, just for that hall. You want to go to the hall where the other big players are? $100 a day for that hall. You want to hang around in Kentia with the up-and-comers? $50 a day. All halls, $225 a day. All three days, all halls, $600. There's a price point that'll work. It's like Disney World. Everyone wants to go to Disney World (E3), but it's really expensive to go to Disney World (E3), so it has an aura of exclusivity AND it's an event everyone talks about for months afterwards. And they make a killing on it.

Too many customers is a problem most businesses would kill for.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Shannon Drake said:
Too many customers is a problem most businesses would kill for.
The thing is, I'm not sure that the ESA really wants to get into the business of consumer cons. I don't know that it really fits with their mission of protecting the commerical and public interests of publishers.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Proudly announcing The Escapist Entertainment Expo!

$600 to see all your favorite companies showcasing their latest offerings in sunny Los An- Las Vegas. Reserve your hotels now!

Shannon Drake

Jul 11, 2006
Andraste said:
The thing is, I'm not sure that the ESA really wants to get into the business of consumer cons. I don't know that it really fits with their mission of protecting the commerical and public interests of publishers.
Well, there is that to be considered.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The business end of E3 was all around us this year. Co-existing peacefully and not-so-peacefully with the throngs of drooling, bag-carrying, admission-paying people like you and me. Remember when Julianne and I scored that VIP session with the Nintendo Wii [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/lounge/view/55803]? We got kicked out so that a hundred or so Gamestop store managers could have their turn. It was called a "Buyers Presentation."