PSN Going Down For Maintenance This Week

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
PSN Going Down For Maintenance This Week

For the second time in as many weeks, Sony is taking the PlayStation Network offline so it can perform some overnight maintenance.

If you were planning to take your PS3 online (or use your PSN account at all) on Thursday, you may want to make some alternate plans. Sony has announced that the PlayStation Network will be going down from Thursday afternoon to Friday morning, all in the name of maintenance. As a result, several services will be unavailable during the downtime.

According to the the European PlayStation Blog:

PSN Maintenance has been scheduled to take place this Thursday 2nd of February from 14.00PM until 08.00AM on Friday 3rd of February.

During the maintenance period, the following services will be affected:

PS Store (PC and Console)
Customer Account Management
Registration
HOME will be unavailable for the duration of the maintenance.

Users who attempt to sign in after maintenance begins may receive the site notification page. If you are signed in before maintenance begins you should remain signed into your online session (although the above services will still be unavailable).

While your game session will apparently go on uninterrupted (provided you're signed in when the PSN goes down), it doesn't sound like you'll be able to go online after the maintenance begins.

Source: <a href=http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/PSN-Maintenance-scheduled-to-take-place-this-Thursday-2nd/m-p/14904843?WT.mc_id=TSO_EN_103>EU PlayStation Blog

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Tsk, seems as though those Arkham Asylum challenges I've yet to 3-Batarang will hafto wait...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Oddly I'm wondering what this prolonged maitnence is supposed to do, and if we're about to find out Sony has removed another feature from the PS-3. You know like

"We have decided to update the PS-3 to make it totally silent, it will no longer admit any sound at all due to our continued committment to stopping music piracy. As most games include subtitles or text we expect this to have minimal impact on our user base. Sony Online Entertainment, and Sony Music appreciated your continued support".

Then in compensation they will offer everyone a free download of Audiosurf....

I know, I know, not funny... this is probably nothing, but let's just say that as much as I used to like the Playstation Sony has irked me with their behaviors and the removal of features recently... I expect the worst from them at every turn.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I hope they add Paypal or is that a system update and not maintenance? Oh whatever, I hope they add Pay pal, I don't wanna go out and buy a 20 dollar card just to get a 5 dollar game.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Down for a single night for maintenance? That's fine. Long as we're not down for six weeks again. I think I'll manage.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Not really a problem for me seen as I hardly ever use the PSN, never on my PS3, only occasionally on my PSP

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Annoying, since I tend to watch stuff on Netflix via my PS3 at night.
Will Netflix even be affected? I remember being able to watch Netflix on my PS3 during the PSN outage, and it doesn't count Netflix as an affected service.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
Will Netflix even be affected? I remember being able to watch Netflix on my PS3 during the PSN outage, and it doesn't count Netflix as an affected service.
It requires you to sign in to your PSN account, doesn't it? It won't let me access it if, say my account temporarily signed out for some reason, until I'm signed in again.

Which, since there may be issues with sign-ins....

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
I don't see how this is a real concern. A Scheduled maintenance where it is announced some services will be down for the maintenance period is nothing out of the norm.

MMO's does this about once a week.

Big deal, I rather Sony have regularly scheduled down time that the shit I had to deal with with XBox Live.