Hong Kong Apple Stores Selecting Customers via Lottery

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hong Kong Apple Stores Selecting Customers via Lottery

Apple Stores in Hong Kong have resorted to a lottery system as the dwindling supply of the latest iPhone causes customers to turn on each other.

If you were to visit an Apple store in Hong Kong you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd wandered onto the set of Soylent Green [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhfSPvp252M]. Throngs of scalpers, baying crowds held back by security guards, screaming, violence, people being carried away by scoop loaders ... okay, I made that last part up, but you get the idea. Supply of the new iPhone 4S comes nowhere near to meeting demand, and people aren't happy about that.

In order to avoid kicking off some kind of awful smartphone riot, Apple is now selecting customers via lottery. Potential customers can enter their details, including their mandatory government ID numbers, into Apple's website between 9am and 10pm. If they're lucky enough to win the honor of spending $650 on a black (or white!) rectangle, Apple will email them by 9pm, informing them they can pick up the phone the next day. The program is currently limited to stores in Hong Kong, though Apple stores all over China have been affected by the shortage. The photo in the top right was taken in Beijing.

Personally, I think Apple's missed a beat on this one. Instead of a lottery they should turn the purchasing process into a reality TV show, complete with minor acts of self-degradation like in I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here. 'You may think you want a new iPhone, but do you want it enough to eat this boiled kangaroo anus? [http://youtu.be/bbTmt_4Wt8E?t=3m58s]' They'd make a fortune. Well, more of a fortune anyway.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/30/2759422/apple-store-hong-kong-iphone-lottery]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, at least it's not a lottery of chosing virgins to appease an angry dragon.

Edit: Just watched Dragonslayer last sunday, almost 16 years after I saw it for the first time, awesome movie.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
hell. if there's anyplace we're going to have a deathtrap filled game show where the prize is nothing but an iphone, it's gonna be china.

Feb 11, 2009
Confirmed that it's crazy out there, gave up on trying to even fix my 3GS because of the hordes present there every day at any time.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Personally, I think Apple's missed a beat on this one. Instead of a lottery they should turn the purchasing process into a reality TV show, complete with minor acts of self-degradation like in I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here. 'You may think you want a new iPhone, but do you want it enough to eat this boiled kangaroo anus? [http://youtu.be/bbTmt_4Wt8E?t=3m58s]' They'd make a fortune. Well, more of a fortune anyway.
Why stop there, think of all the thing we could make those people do to get an iphone. Why not create thunder dome atmosphere with the announcer screaming "500 men enter 1 man leave....with iphone." with crowds screaming and booing all around, in a single large spherical dome with an apple logo and on the inside is a single iphone 4s. Formerly civilized people beating each other with their bare fists ruining their suits and clothes in a flurry to reach to one thing they all want. When the dust settles and everything becomes quiet once again, the dome is opened with one man leaves in his hand an iphone. Of course he goes to the cash register, pays $650 and promptly leaves.

Woah, I think had a little bit too much coffee there.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ninedeus said:
Grey Carter said:
Why stop there, think of all the thing we could make those people do to get an iphone. Why not create thunder dome atmosphere with the announcer screaming "500 men enter 1 man leave....with iphone." with crowds screaming and booing all around, in a single large spherical dome with an apple logo and on the inside is a single iphone 4s. Formerly civilized people beating each other with their bare fists ruining their suits and clothes in a flurry to reach to one thing they all want. When the dust settles and everything becomes quiet once again, the dome is opened with one man leaves in his hand an iphone. Of course he goes to the cash register, pays $650 and promptly leaves.

Woah, I think had a little bit too much coffee there.
My original draft of this piece had a passage much like this one. In it I suggested they take a Thunderdome, paint it white, and call it the iDome. I cut it for brevity's sake.

Great minds and all that.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Ninedeus said:
Grey Carter said:
snip
My original draft of this piece had a passage much like this one. In it I suggested they take a Thunderdome, paint it white, and call it the iDome. I cut it for brevity's sake.

Great minds and all that.
"Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ"

iDome.... my inner snob cries for not thinking of that name. Would make a wonderful sports show though.

Apple presents: iBrawl at the iDome I - iphone 4s massacre.

And they'd have a special every time they release a new product, iphone 5, ipad 3 etc.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Somewhere, Steve Jobs is looking down (but most likely up) on this and he's smiling and wringing his hands maliciously

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Apparently, nowhere is safe from the iGhouls...who wake every day from their iPods, leave their iPads to doggedly pursue their iFad.
Really. It's like Steve Jobs never left. But then again, did the Devil ever truly die?

Seriously. That's just freaking nuts.
It's a CELL PHONE. What the hell is so essential about getting one on the first day?

If experience has taught me anything, it's best to wait for the initial slew of bugs and unknown kinks to get worked out of the product first before committing.

SupahGamuh said:
Well, at least it's not a lottery of chosing virgins to appease an angry dragon.
As a resident dragon, I take offense to that!
We're very kind to our angry virgins!

...Or do I have that the other way around?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
What the hell?! Its a phone! But these people are acting as if they are trying to get a limited supply cure for a lethal disease.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Not saying I'd never act this stupid over something, but I can say for sure that I'd only do it for something WAY further down Maslow's hierarchy of needs than, oh, say, THE PEAK.

May 29, 2011
kasperbbs said:
What the hell?! Its a phone! But these people are acting as if they are trying to get a limited supply cure for a lethal disease.
In China? It may as well be. (They don't have the same choice as we do, it's either tPone 5s or some cheap nokia thing)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:

so you went with 'fear factor' instead?

>.>
<.<
hell, I'd watch that, or the iDome version, stupid people doing stupid, heath/life endangering things for an iphone

OHOH!!!

we can drop them all in the Serengeti, but nothing but simple tools, a cantine of water and 'positive thoughts' and leave them to survive for no less then 1 month for said iphone, in case of a draw, knife fighting against an angry bear to determine the winner.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
This...doesn't make any sense to me. So, in china, where workers are committing suicide due to the harsh working conditions of the apple factories, these people are slobbering over a piece of plastic and a chip that their very relatives literally and regrettably spilled blood, sweat and tears over?