Twitter Subpoenaed in Occupy Wall Street Case

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Twitter Subpoenaed in Occupy Wall Street Case

Twitter has been subpoenaed by the city of New York as a witness in a criminal case against an Occupy Wall Street activist.

The next time you're thinking about using Twitter to organize anything more subversive than a strawberry social, you might want to think about the case of young Malcolm Harris, AKA @destructuremal [https://twitter.com/#!/destructuremal], a lad from New York City who apparently took part in the recent Occupy movement. Because of his activities during the demonstrations, and more specifically because he presumably tweeted about them, the City of New York has issued a subpoena commanding Twitter to appear "as a witness in a criminal action prosecuted by the People of the State of New York against Malcolm Harris."

The subpoena calls for "any and all user information, including email address, as well as any and all tweets posted for the period of 9/15/2011 - 12/31/2011" by Harris. And while a steadfast "up yours!" sounds fun and romantic, it also warns that failure to produce the documents could result in a criminal contempt of court charge, resulting in a $1000 fine and up to a year in prison.

And what heinous crime did Harris commit, you may wonder, that justifies dredging up more than three months of tweets and other information? It appears to be related to his Occupy Wall Street activity - according to Betabeat [http://www.betabeat.com/2012/01/30/state-of-new-york-subpoenas-twitter-over-occupy-wall-street-account/], he was "tweeting from the front lines of the now infamous Brooklyn Bridge mass arrests" - but as Harris himself noted, that charge is merely a "disorderly conduct violation," hardly worth all this trouble. "They clearly want to see what I was saying around Sept. 17th for unrelated reasons," he wrote.

Regardless of Harris' alleged crimes, the Twitter subpoena, if successful, will almost certainly have a chilling effect on its use in any kind of group activism, such as coordinating demonstrations and tracking detained demonstrators. And that's quite possibly the intent - deter similar "uprisings" in the future by restricting the ability of individuals to communicate. But that flies in the face of the praise [http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/meet-five-of-the-arab-springs-most-influential-tweeters/article2135077/?from=sec13762] Twitter and other social networks earned during the Arab Spring, when it was given credit "as a tool to both inspire and reflect the Arab street."

Harris said he's trying to "dream up a legal strategy that quashes the Twitter subpoena," but the clock is ticking, as Twitter said it will hand the documents over in seven days "unless there's a motion to quash or another reason not to." Not that the company is rolling over for the Man entirely: Twitter was also ordered "not to disclose the existence of this subpoena to any party [as] such disclosure would impede the investigation being conducted and interfere with the enforcement of law," but Harris said it sent him a copy of the document anyway.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Well that's strange... Will they bring a blue bird to the court?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
PETA? Wrong thread I think, buddy.

What exactly was he doing on sept the 17th that they want to know about, I wonder.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Pinkamena said:
I'd pay to watch that.
It'd be hilarious if they brought in every person that worked for Twitter just to slow down legal procedures.

Remember kids, when participating in subversive activities, wear a mask IRL or online.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Torrasque said:
imnotparanoid said:
Pinkamena said:
I'd pay to watch that.
It'd be hilarious if they brought in every person that worked for Twitter just to slow down legal procedures.

Remember kids, when participating in subversive activities, wear a mask IRL or online.
Or better yet, wear a Guy Fawkes mask, and that way anon can take all the blame!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
We decry communications blackouts in oppressive regimes like Egypt and Syria, but isn't this really just a more subtle approach to the same thing?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Tanis said:
And THIS is how PETA fails.
This made me laugh far more than it should have.

OT: His tweets are irrelevent. If he was arrested for disorderly conduct, the police already know what he was doing. He was conducting himself in a disorderly fashion.

XSin

Jul 21, 2009
I see a problem with the precedent but honestly if this guy is trying his hardest not to let this happen you gotta wonder how incriminating the stuff on his twitter is :/

My guess along the lines of weapons. . .

Feb 13, 2008
Ah, what we can't legislate, we will legislate against. Good work.

Think we can get Ocean Marketing, Rupert Murdoch against Obama, Obama versus Kanye "jackass" West, #Shakespalin, Dane Deutsch ("Hitler was a great leader"), #Iamspartacus all arrested?

Or is it only the people using a social media for broadcasting the truth that others want to deny?

Maybe we should just rely on the old-fashioned media like News International? They've never[footnote]Often, and with malicious intention[/footnote] lied to us.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Torrasque said:
imnotparanoid said:
Pinkamena said:
I'd pay to watch that.

Or better yet, wear a Guy Fawkes mask, and that way anon can take all the blame!
That was indirectly what I meant, lol.
I'm sure Anon would love the extra attention anyways.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Pinkamena said:
I found this very amusing.

OT: This is kindof distressing. I don't use Twitter, but I appreciate it's uses. I don't want there to be any sort of chilling effect on freedom of speech, and this subpoena looks like it just might have that effect.

[sadface]

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Given that Twitter is a corporation, just who in the hell are they threatening with jailtime if they don't turn the stuff over? I'd think they'd need to be a bit more specific about that.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
We decry communications blackouts in oppressive regimes like Egypt and Syria, but isn't this really just a more subtle approach to the same thing?
Call me old fashioned but I think there is a significant difference between enforcing a law passed by government produced from a free and fair election and enforcing a law from unelected dictator. I strongly suspect if was the Aryan Nation demonstrating about Jewish bankers you wouldn't have posted that. So if you want to murder someone all have do is hire a hitman on twitter and you escape scott free. The consequence of not allowing tweets to stand as evidence is even more chilling to a free society.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Your lack of faith in FreedomTM is disturbing; you will be duly reported to the Ministry of Homeland Security, and have your outlook processed through Rupert Murdoch's national Strength-Through-Verified-Truth program.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
I'm sorry, I must be missing something here. Aren't Twitter Feeds already public? Couldn't a legal assistant just scroll down on the feed, then copy and print them? Those could then be submitted as evidence to a judge without the need to drag Twitter into the mess with a subpoena. After all, how much more information are they expecting to get? His location if tweeting from a mobile device? A location that the court should already know about, if a disorderly conduct charge was filed against him.

I don't use Twitter myself, so I'm not sure what kind of customer privacy services Twitter offers that would require a subpoena to uncover.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
albino boo said:
Andy Chalk said:
Call me old fashioned but I think there is a significant difference between enforcing a law passed by government produced from a free and fair election and enforcing a law from unelected dictator.
That's not old-fashioned. The various founders of Democracy knew perfectly well that free and fair elections are capable of producing unjust results, and took steps accordingly. A democratically produced undemocratic and unjust law is an undemocratic and unjust law, full stop. (If you still doubt that, consider an extreme case: the U.S.A., by its constitution, could at any time, with sufficient votes, amend said constitution to make itself no longer a Democracy in any way, shape, or form.)

albino boo said:
So if you want to murder someone all have do is hire a hitman on twitter and you escape scott free.
Or, y'know, unrecorded speech. Any rookie detective knows you follow the cash. (Besides, everyone should know by now that all "hitmen for random hire" are cops. And the rest of the hitmen are "employed" in one way or another.)

albino boo said:
The consequence of not allowing tweets to stand as evidence is even more chilling to a free society.
Tweets are not going to single-handedly bring about anarchy and overthrow all law enforcement activities. In fact, they're virtually useless as criminal evidence no matter how you slice it. Just like "Disorderly Conduct" is a nonsense charge being used indiscriminately to harass (and almost never bother prosecuting) legitimate free speech that those in power just do not like.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Could they be trying to prove he got people down at the Occupy movement under false pretenses:

http://gawker.com/5868073/

Precedent:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/07/electric-daisy-hollywood-kaskade-hollywood-riot.html

It seems really weird to go after one guy without reason, unless they're trying to set a new precedent to create a new tactic in going after protesters.