Thief 2 Joins GOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief 2 Joins GOG

Thief 2: The Metal Age has joined Thief Gold on GOG.

The addition of last week [http://www.amazon.com/Thief-II-Metal-Age-Pc/dp/B00004NS0Z/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328633875&sr=8-3], but it's still awesome news and great that it happened so quickly. Thief 2 is bigger, badder and better than its predecessor in just about every way, with deeper characterization and a far more complex plot that sees Garrett forced into the role of hero and savior of a city that would like nothing more than to see him left to rot in Pavelock forever.

Thief 2 is more visually advanced than the original game but still suffers from many of the same age-related issues - this is a 12-year-old game, after all. Fortunately, a "Tafferpatch" at Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106], make things as pretty as they can be with just a little bit of work.

GOG's release [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/thief_2_the_metal_age] of Thief 2: The Metal Age is $9.99 and includes the manual, reference card, avatars, a soundtrack and a "making of" video, not to mention the Soulforge, one of the most memorably grueling videogame experiences of all time. Consider yourself warned - thou art the nail for serious in this one - and don't miss it!

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Glory, glory halleluja! Now to find out what all the fuss is about and whether the game actually holds up to years of nostalgic rambling. If it's anything like System Shock 2... then no. But I have hope! And I'm willing to pay $10 for that hope.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Thief 2 Joins GOG

The addition of last week [http://www.amazon.com/Thief-II-Metal-Age-Pc/dp/B00004NS0Z/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328633875&sr=8-3],
Well Andy since you so soundly recommended the original to me and how much I then went on to enjoy it, I will be picking this one up as soon as I am done with Thief Gold =)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief 2 stands alone quite well but follows the story of the first game closely enough that they're really worth playing in order. It's definitely more advanced than the original and the focus is away from "monster" levels - Bonehoard, Lost City, etc. - and on more conventional B&E gameplay in the city. The levels are HUGE, too, and a real challenge even for experienced Thieves.

I kind of prefer the first game because I'm a fan of the more magical/fantasy side of the game, but Thief 2 does a brilliant job of delving deeper into the setting and characters that were established in the original Thief. It's far more complex on multiple levels, and immensely rewarding as a result.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
It's been a long time since I played Thief, and it was certainly different. But something I've always wondered is that in Thief I felt like you got forced into combat too much, certain parts were simply impassable without fighting and I felt it was almost out of place in that game.

Hell maybe I am not even remembering it correctly, considering how long it's been, but if that was the case did Thief 2 fix that?

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
This is my first gog purchase and man I'm already in love with it. Quick and smooth and they offered 6 free games in advance! In contrary PSN won't even accept my bloody credit card number. I think I'll ditch console gaming if I can find gems like these for dirt cheap on the PC.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I believe Thief 2 has the best level design of any first person game ever made. Shipping and Receiving, Life of the Party, First City Bank and Trust...those kinds of levels could give a guy a priapism.

It's definitely the best game in the series.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
The level design in Thief 2 really was spectacular. It's a shame they dropped the undead levels, I would have loved to deal with more ghosts and haunts in the Thief 2 levels.

I'm going to pick up both of these games at the end of the month and play through them with my six-year-old. No one gets kill, no gore, no profanity, no nudity . . . . and I'm not concerned that he'll start stealing things after watching me play. (I may skip the haunts with him, no sense giving him nightmares.)

Cenobite85

Jan 27, 2012
I loved Thief and Thief 2. The level where you spend the entire level hopping from rooftop to rooftop spying and stealing from citizens in order to infiltrate a massive steampunk catherdral like building remains one of my favorite levels of all time.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Excellent game. I can recapture my youth.
At that price it's certainly a steal.

I couldn't help myself.