Skyrim Creation Kit Goes Live, With a Bonus

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Skyrim Creation Kit Goes Live, With a Bonus

The Skyim Creation Kit is finally here, along with a gorgeous new high-resolution texture pack that will make your PC weep.

It's been a long and oft-delayed wait, but the Skyrim Creation Kit is finally out the door. It's free to everyone with the PC version of Skyrim and access to Steam, and will allow players with a creative bent to build new questions, locations and characters, modify the game in just about every way imaginable and then share the fruits of their labors through the Skyrim Workshop on Steam.

To help ease budding world-builders into the job, the first of a ten-part series of Creation Kit tutorial videos has been released and a crash course in how to begin creating and uploading mods is available from level designer Joel Burgess. Burgess also warned that Bethesda isn't interested in having "offensive, copyrighted or trademarked material" on the Skyrim Workshop. "Mods with this kind of content will be banned, so please don't bother uploading them," he said.

Riding in alongside the Creation Kit is the Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack, a free update that adds a whole new level of visual fidelity to the PC version of the game. But with great textures comes the responsibility to have great power, or something like that; however you want to put it, your rig will need to exceed the recommended system specs - that's recommended, kids, not minimum - if you want to have any hope of running this beast. That means Windows Vista or 7, a minimum 4GB RAM and a DirectX 9.0c compatible Nvidia or ATI video card with at least a gig of RAM.

And now, some links. The Skyrim Creation Kit is available on creationkit.com [store.steampowered.com]. Have fun!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Finally!

I wonder see how many modders will migrate form sites like The Skyrim Nexus to the Steamworkshop thing.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Can I use creation kit without having steam installed? I have not been able to find any information if you need steam to use it. Cause was thinking of downloading it on a computer I don't play games on to fool with it. Also I looked under tools and it is not there unless it has some kind of code name.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Hi res texture pack you say? Is it any better than the one already on the nexus?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's stuff like this that makes me sad I'm no longer part of the PC Master Race.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Well, I'm a part of the PC race, master on the other hand... nope, my computer's bout dead, so I'm just above those console scum ;)

I wished I had Skyrim to be honest XD Though I'm not sure if my computer could play it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ed130 said:
Finally!

I wonder see how many modders will migrate form sites like The Skyrim Nexus to the Steamworkshop thing.
Considering the Nexus is already a well established site, has been around for nearly a decade and the Steam Workshop faces modders with censorship, I'm putting my money on the Nexus.

Nice to hear about the Skyrim high res pack. Is it downloaded automatically with Steam? If so, can't wait to give it a go :)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Domehammer said:
Can I use creation kit without having steam installed? I have not been able to find any information if you need steam to use it. Cause was thinking of downloading it on a computer I don't play games on to fool with it. Also I looked under tools and it is not there unless it has some kind of code name.
Well, at the very least you need Steam to download and install it. I would imagine you would need Steam to run it too. What happens to the steamapps folder if you uninstall Steam?

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Hmm this gives me an idea, Skyrim has lots of combat but what about a dungeon that is more about traps and triggers then combat. Maybe something like zelda.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The workshop isn't going to stop people from putting the titty mods and franchise outfits up on the Nexus. I just hope that this update doesn't kill the other corners of the modding community.

Sep 14, 2009
i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now, and i have added a few ones that were quite useful.

still, i'm liking that NMM and the workshop are working together nicely, allows the customer to have full satisfaction.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Well, that one line about "offensive or "copyrighted material" means that I and many others will still be getting 99% of our content from the Skyrim Nexus, since a good chunk of the fun/interesting mods fall squarely into that category.

Also, where does one get this Hi-Res pack?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now...
Really?
REALLY?

Because I downloaded this thing with notions of adding in a couple of draugr companions. This shit is a mile over my head.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now, and i have added a few ones that were quite useful.

still, i'm liking that NMM and the workshop are working together nicely, allows the customer to have full satisfaction.
But shouldn't it be easy to learn but hard to master? Sure it's probably easier now, but at least more people can start modding and make quest lines that friends can play.

Sep 14, 2009
Korten12 said:
gmaverick019 said:

But shouldn't it be easy to learn but hard to master? Sure it's probably easier now, but at least more people can start modding and make quest lines that friends can play.
oh i agree it should! i'm not trying to disown anyone or make any bad intentions with what i said, just saying from what i have dealt with before personally it can be a pain in the ass sometimes, and the way they have it setup, it's so much nicer..and it's really helpful with the video(s) they have for the tutorial(s)

(i know there are tutorials all the time on stuff for games, but sometimes the people giving them either don't quite have that good of video equipment, or expect the person to have a decent log of skills from modding pre hand.)

Sep 14, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
gmaverick019 said:
i will say it is EXTREMELY streamlined to the point where modding takes zero skill/intelligence now...
Really?
REALLY?

Because I downloaded this thing with notions of adding in a couple of draugr companions. This shit is a mile over my head.
i think i overplayed the intelligence thing, it's more one of those things where you've been making things by hand your whole life, and now here comes along a machine that does it for you with a few knobs and buttons instead of molding it with your barehands. obviously it takes some skill and intelligence, especially if you haven't done it before, but just saying this is leagues ahead of some of the other stuff i have encountered before.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, good to know that the update makes my game crash as soon as the thief says "damn you stormcloaks."

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
It's nice that there's an official high res texture pack, but I've had one for a couple weeks now and frankly it's better.

Ed130 said:
Finally!

I'll be keeping my focus on the Nexus. At least then I won't have to worry about my Master Sword or Glamdring being yanked from my game because of copywright. I hope the Workshop doesn't interfere with the Nexus Mod Manager.