It's a Kind of Magic

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
It's a Kind of Magic

Duels of the Planeswalkers is a temptress even the card wary Seans Sands can't avoid.

Read Full Article

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Magic Broke with the "Door to Nothingness". Well completely broke anyway, I think the infinite squirrel combo predates it.
I prefer L5R.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
YES! embrace the darkness!

Nazrel said:
Magic Broke with the "Door to Nothingness". Well completely broke anyway, I think the infinite squirrel combo predates it.
I prefer L5R.
it broke with all the first turn kills in alpha.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Nazrel said:
I prefer L5R.
Have you actually played the game? DtN is the Magic equivalent of Sean or Dan from Street Fighter. There are much worse stupid broken things to do than even infinite squirrels.

Sean, is DotP challenging? It's limited, but I've heard mied things about the difficulty.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Resistance is futile. You will be sucked in. In other words, welcome to the club!
Nazrel said:
I prefer L5R.
DtN takes a deck built around it to use. You need 5 colors, and a lot of mana. There are far more broken cards in existence. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting this. It sounds fun, except for the lack of customization options.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
randommaster said:
Nazrel said:
I prefer L5R.
Have you actually played the game? DtN is the Magic equivalent of Sean or Dan from Street Fighter. There are much worse stupid broken things to do than even infinite squirrels.
DtN takes a deck built around it to use. You need 5 colors, and a lot of mana. There are far more broken cards in existence. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting this. It sounds fun, except for the lack of customization options.
In practice there are worse ones, but the Door to Nothingness is the one that specifically says, "Pay X mana target player loses." This is the kind of card jokes were made about back in the day, as broken cards that would never exist.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Nazrel said:
randommaster said:
Nazrel said:
I prefer L5R.
In practice there are worse ones, but the Door to Nothingness is the one that specifically says, "Pay X mana target player loses." This is the kind of card jokes were made about back in the day, as broken cards that would never exist.
Getting the ammount of effort needed to activate DtN is a feat in itself, much less being able to get to kill someone with it. There were plenty of other cards that let you win the game instantly before DtN.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I found the X-box game infuriating because of the way the computer cheats to give you bad luck. I can usually predict what my opponent will do based on what is the card that would be worst for me. I can guess what the next card I'm going to get based on which card would be the least useful. There were over 60 cards in the deck. 3 of them would were useless but I could use every other one. I got 2 consecutive useless cards.

For real life Magic I find it easier to buy card sleeves that have an opaque back and write the cards myself. It saves a lot of money.

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
Nazrel said:
I prefer L5R.
Well, at least standard isn't too broken. And also, if you can generate two mana of each color and prevent someone from blowing up an artifact or killing you, you probably deserve to win the next five games.

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
Areani said:
Meh, the Yu-Gi-Oh cardgame pwns Magic. Or at least I hope so.
This makes very little sense to me. Are you inexperienced in at least one of these games? Why would you hope that Yu-Gi-Oh is better?

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Haven't played M:TG since I was in grade school... Not getting into it again, unfortunately.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Meh, I went though a phase like that. I still have all my cards. Its a little unreasonable the amount I have. But I'm bored with card games. Got bored with them long long ago.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Areani said:
Nope. Yes, I played both, so I am not talking out of mere love of Magic, but Magic is far superior, however, Yu-Gi-Oh is simpler, which may appeal to more casual card players. Magic does make your eyes cross sometimes.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Duels of the Plainswalkers has NO deck editor what-so-ever, and is therefore FAIL for anyone but casual players. I came very close to buying it until I found out about the lack of that feature.
Nazrel said:
I prefer L5R.
"Panoptic Mirror" [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=47930] is way more broken than "Door to Nothingness"... but I still love abusing the hell out of it!

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I have never been a fan of M:TG, but I have gone through trading card phases. I eventually grew out of them though for the same reason you were afraid to get started on them, the sheer addiction. They are scarily addictive though, I will say that. But I can see why they would want to put it on the XBox to help increase their audience, because a product needs to adapt for an audience to survive, and that is exactly what they're doing here.

Well, that and the fact that they were banned in both schools I went to as a child and by the time I went to secondary school I had grown out of them.

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
Sean Sands said:
It's a Kind of Magic

Duels of the Plainswalkers is a temptress even the card wary Seans Sands can't avoid.

Read Full Article

i used to play (and kinda still do >.>) magic, if it helps (and if you actually read this post), the best colors for creature decks are green and white, with green keep pumping out critters, and keep building mana up untill you can drop a few big beasties and stomp you opponent, with white, put out a few flyers, and first strikers and buff them a whole lot, also, keep attacking, keep your opponent on the ropes. i play a old style bird deck :D. fear the pidgeon swarm

Areani said:
i havnt seen anyone play yugioh in 6 months its still around?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Lol. Never played magic, but TCG's in general are something I know quite well.

I'm playing a new one right now that's trying to avoid some of the common problems that make these games so expensive.

I'll resist the urge to provide any kind of link to it, but if you want to know anything about it send me a PM.

Ushario

Mar 6, 2009
I play occasionaly. I really do try to avoid getting sucked in by the possibilities for customising a deck with varying degrees of success. For example I was shown two cards the other night, a Legendary Zombie Warrior and a Legendary Zombie Wizard card. Right now I'm trying to resist buying a whole deck just to build around them.

I'll probably have my new zombie deck inside a few weeks.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
I really remember that things have gone for the worse when I saw a friend of mine play with a 250 card deck. Guess what, it was all about shuffling and grave digging and deck searching while attempting to survive the more conventional decks. The reason it won so often? The Battle of Wits.

So, he suffles the library, the searches for the card, he brings graveyeard back to the library, playes and juggles the cards and then plays the instant-victory (when combined with the Time Walk) while smiling smugly and saying 'Do you want to count the cards at my deck?' Only way to defeat that is an instant enchantment destroyer and hope that doesn't get countered.

That's just ridiculous. I thought that this
was ridiculous but these kinds of instant-win cards really take the cake.

EDIT: added the images.