Mass Effect Infiltrates iOS

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Mass Effect Infiltrates iOS

BioWare's upcoming Mass Effect 3 tie-in allows players to save the galaxy on the go.

Well, that didn't take long. Less than a week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115662-Mass-Effect-3-Goes-Mobile] after announcing that a Mass Effect 3 game was inbound for handhelds, BioWare has declassified some relevant details. Mass Effect Infiltrator, a self-described "companion app," is a third-person shooter that will tie into Galaxy at War, the system gauging how ready a player is to face the extragalactic Reaper threat. This iOS game pits players against the forces of the enigmatic Cerberus group, as they face enemies, rescue prisoners, and collect evidence to marshal their forces for the trilogy's final showdown.

In addition to the ability to take a part of Mass Effect 3 on the subway, EA promises that Infiltrator will contain "stunning graphics and authentic weapons and powers from the Mass Effect series." As the game will link with a player's EA account, each time he or she completes a mission, his or her Galactic Readiness will increase accordingly. Mass Effect fans may recall that the Galactic Readiness system will determine how Mass Effect 3 ends. Initially, there was some concern that the multiplayer-centric Galaxy at War mode would be necessary to unlock the best ending [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113587-BioWare-Finally-Confirms-and-Details-Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer]. BioWare assuaged these concerns by assuring players that multiplayer missions were just one alternative to preparing for the Reaper invasion in single player. With Mass Effect Infiltration, players now have three choices instead of just two.

There's no denying that BioWare's past is checkered when it comes to handheld Mass Effect games, but this project seems much more ambitious than Mass Effect Galaxy, which was essentially a three-hour teaser for Mass Effect 2. Infiltrator will release "soon," presumably sometime before Mass Effect 3 hits shelves. The only question now, it seems, is whether the fans decrying multiplayer in any form or the fans clamoring for an Android port will be more upset.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/72355/mass-effect-infiltrator-coming-to-ios]

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Why not just stick to THE GAME?

We don't need an I phone shooter!
Bioware doesn't have any pancake mix!

What are they trying to do?
JUST GIVE ME THE GAME ON PC WITHOUT ORIGIN, GOD!

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
I think I'll just watch a lets play of mass effect 3 on youtube. Seems every week there is some new tie in. Unless game is finished and there just sitting on it waiting for release date.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Well, UE3 looks pretty great on iOS devices, so it'll certainly be shiny...

But I don't own anything Apple, and I really hope this and the multi-player isn't going to lead to some exclusive ending in the SP.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Saw some screenshots for it, looks pretty, if the combat is like ME2/3, with good controls, should be fun.

Wonder if they could release it on the Vita? That would probably get them some sales as well.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Oh god, its hard enough focusing enough to stay away from my 360. Now they want to tempt me with my phone? Its a damn good thing it isn't on other phones yet.

Also, ME3 had better be worth giving up my unborn children for at this rate. I see one more spinoff and I may just have to walk away from the computer...until next ZP/Miracle of Sound/Feed Dump. >.>

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Galaxy Readiness. Wait, what?

This thing will determine how the story ends?, is it really necessary to play multiplayer and a stupid cellphone game just to see the "And they lived happily ever after" ending!??.

Please enlighten me if I'm wrong, because this certainly confuses me a bit, I haven't followed many ME3 news, except when they said that Origin is mandatory for the PC version, wich certainly sucks. Please BioWare, don't make me watch an idiotic Let's Play just to see how it freking ends >.<'

EDIT: Already answered by shado temple, I don't need to be enlightened anymore :)

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
SupahGamuh said:

This thing will determine how the story ends?, is it really necessary to play multiplayer and a stupid cellphone game just to see the "And they lived happily ever after" ending!??.

Please enlighten me if I'm wrong, because this certainly confuses me a bit, I haven't followed many ME3 news, except when they said that Origin is mandatory for the PC version, wich certainly sucks. Please BioWare, don't make me watch an idiotic Let's Play just to see how it freking ends >.<'
You are incorrect in your assumption that you require both the multiplayer and the phone app to achieve the 'best' ending in the game. It's been mentioned a few times now that everything can be done through the single player alone, with the app and the co-op being an option for those of which would rather do one of those two, rather than push through all the side quests (or something to that effect).

OT: I would love to play this, but I don't currently have anything with iOS, so unless Epic suddenly releases UDK for Android, I probably will end up skipping it entirely.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Why can't I have this on my Android, Bioware? When in 2012, you don't release only for apple. Keep it real Bioware. Also, anyone can license UE3 code for Android, they just can't use UDK.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
SupahGamuh said:

EDIT: Already answered by shado temple, I don't need to be enlightened anymore :)
While they were answered by Shado Temple... It was also already mentioned within the article:

"Mass Effect fans may recall that the Galactic Readiness system will determine how Mass Effect 3 ends. Initially, there was some concern that the multiplayer-centric Galaxy at War mode would be necessary to unlock the best ending. BioWare assuaged these concerns by assuring players that multiplayer missions were just one alternative to preparing for the Reaper invasion in single player. With Mass Effect Infiltration, players now have three choices instead of just two."

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Oh come on! Android / Xperia play version please! If you're going to release a shooter on phones may as well release it on the only phone with decent controls!

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
And again I move one step closer to not playing ME3 and pretending that the series never existed, or that I liked it.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Domehammer said:
I think I'll just watch a lets play of mass effect 3 on youtube. Seems every week there is some new tie in. Unless game is finished and there just sitting on it waiting for release date.
You do realize bioware can do nothing but twiddle their thumbs right now? The demo is done and ready for release and so the multiplayer is too. And the game has probably gone gold too Since they can release a demo.
This is just dev´s looking for something to do instead of waiting.
Why let your 200 man crew do nothing for an entire month that is a waste of time and money,
You either start With the next game and leave a small crew behind for patches.
Or you start making Dlc and maybe a quick spinnoff.

Look At Warhammer 40k:kill team it was something they made from old Dawn of war 2 assets and probably finished in a few months considering the engine and assets were already done.
It included a weapon for the Warhammer 40k:space marine multiplayer and was in every stretch of the word a spin off feeding of the hype of the big game.

It's normal for a developer to start working on something else when they are done.
Often its dlc,an expansion pack,A sequel/new ip.
But now they just chose to make an ios game
So don't worry its an old practice in a new form.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
tmande2nd said:
And again I move one step closer to not playing ME3 and pretending that the series never existed, or that I liked it.
This a thousand times.
WHY, WHY do we need this? This series is getting watered down and morphing into a cash grab. EA, just please, please, stop it.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
jFr[e said:
ak93]
tmande2nd said:
This a thousand times.
WHY, WHY do we need this? This series is getting watered down and morphing into a cash grab. EA, just please, please, stop it.
I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but I personally am salivating for it. I have no problems with you not wanting it, but you can easily ignore it. I do it all the time with movies I don't like. Twilight & Harry Potter, for instance. The existence of Mass Effect ios apps does not actively snuff our your lifeforce. They do not exist because you allow it, and they certainly won't end because you demand it. 8P

Maybe we can do a "live & let live" here, so that those of us still in love with the Mass Effect universe and willing to pay our friends to let us borrow their ipads can have some fun too, eh? ;)