Touchscreen Super Meat Boy In The Works

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Touchscreen Super Meat Boy In The Works

Super Meat Boy may be coming to your favorite touchscreen device. Or it might not. Look, it's just a prototype so far, alright?

Team Meat, the people behind the wildly popular, wildly difficult Super Meat Boy, recently tweeted a handful of details about the game's touchscreen prototype that are equal parts exciting and surprisingly candid (read: it includes swears).

To wit:

So a lot of buzz today about us prototyping SMB for touch devices.. a few fun facts:

1. this prototype will not play like SMB!

2. it will be a re-envisioning of SMB remade from scratch for touch. we aren't half assing this if it turns out to be fun.

3. if you liked SMB im sure you will enjoy this (if its good enough to continue on :) ) we just had a few cool ideas and wanted a challange

4. if it turns out it sucks, we will act like it never happened and move on to the next idea :)

5. it wont be a simple game like "doodle jump" it will be a larger more traditional game.

6. IT WONT CONTROL LIKE SMB!!! we promise you we wont make a game with shitty touch controls.

So, what have we learned here? Three things.

First, this new iteration of Super Meat Boy is going to be an experimental take on the game, that may or may not be scrapped entirely.

Second, Team Meat is completely reimagining Super Meat Boy from the ground up in an effort to make a game that is less "port" and more "touchscreen iteration of what originally made SMB so addictively entertaining."

Third, and most crucially, I can get away with writing swears on this site as long as they fall inside a quote box.

You'll notice that nowhere in that series of tweets does Team Meat ever offer any sort of release window for the touchscreen Super Meat Boy. That would have been an important point too, but this being a prototype, I suppose its forgivable. We fans will just content ourselves with anxious waiting and quietly sobbing in the dark.

Source: Team Meat [https://twitter.com/#!/SuperMeatBoy]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Good to hear its not just a port- standard platformer controls are not capable of being a successful and satisfying experience on the iOS, in my experience.
Touch controls are difficult for action games because there's a certain amount of compensation for the lack of precision that has to be involved for a polished feel, and relying on the game to do things for you isn't quite SMB's thing, right?

Team meat seems like they know what a good game is like, so of all the people to have faith in for a respectable product, its them (especially since they sound willing to scrap a sub par experience) but I hope people don't get too worried about it feeling the same as SMB, because that may not be quite possible.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
It's hard enough to play SMB on a keyboard, i was only able to reach halfway before accepting that i absolutely need a controller to get any further! So i'll be interested to see what they end up doing.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
So there not content with hundreds of broken keyboards and controlers they want to see thousand of smartphones to get destroyed.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
A game that requires precise control and timing on a touch pad.

YEAH THAT'LL WORK.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Gammayun said:
So there not content with hundreds of broken keyboards and controler they want to see thousand of smartphones get destroyed.
Meat Boy: Savior of the Economy

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Gammayun said:
So there not content with hundreds of broken keyboards and controlers they want to see thousand of smartphones to get destroyed.
So that is how apple plan to further increase sales of iphones, get Team Meat on the job.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well SMB is fun because of it's microsecond pin point gameplay, and that is not doable on any touch device... so I wonder what they will do to bring it above the rest.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Gammayun said:
So that is how apple plan to further increase sales of iphones, get Team Meat on the job.
Its a conspiracy that we have unearthed here, we must find the milkman.