Entire World of Warcraft Gets Recreated in Minecraft

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Entire World of Warcraft Gets Recreated in Minecraft

One ambitious player has begun to import the whole of Azeroth into Minecraft block by block and, so far, things are actually looking pretty good.

People with way too much time on their hands have been crafting ambitious projects with giant multicolored cubes since Markus "Notch" Persson first went public with his then tiny indie game Minecraft in 2009. So ambitious, in fact, that nowadays it's become difficult to get any sort of recognition for your work without, well, I don't know, recreating an immensely detailed series of massive continents inch by inch or something. Cut to Mojang Forum user Rumsey, and his epic quest to bring all of World of Warcraft (dungeons and all) into the blocky lands of Minecraft.

[gallery=642]

Accomplishing such a feat requires specialized software that helps transfer the map data into the game, as well as circumvent Minecraft's normal 128 block height limit.

Thus far, Rumsey's already assembled a perfect, though somewhat more angular, recreation of the Kalimdor region, and is preparing to tackle the rest of Azeroth in short order. Once complete, he hopes to make his project public, though as you can probably imagine, it's going to take some serious server space. He's already sitting on a tentative offer from Cursecraft, however, so there seems to be a decent possibility that everyone will have a chance to explore this impressive undertaking for themselves in the near future.

This sort of drive really makes you wonder what the next major Minecraft undertaking will be. All of Daggerfall (reportedly twice the size of Great Britain), perhaps? Or maybe the entire planet using Google Earth satellite data. That may sound ridiculous, but I honestly wonder if I would be surprised hearing about someone actually working on that exact idea.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-09-world-of-warcraft-universe-being-recreated-in-minecraft]

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
That's impressive in a way, but damn, if that was me, I'd get halfway thru my first tree and get demoralised. Gotta admire the guy's persistence!

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Damn it, other Minecrafters! Why do you have to put my asymmetrical cobblestone house to shame?

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Morrowind isn't twice the size of Great Britain! It's about 10 square miles across.

The world in Daggerfall was roughly the size of Great Britain (so still not twice the size) but that was mostly empty space, and would hardly make an interesting Minecraft project.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Redlin5 said:
If there is a fictional universe, a minecrafter will eventually make it.
Are you proposing Rule 123 of the internet? Which would be by far the least horrifying?

Sir Ryan Ward

Pontificator
Jan 29, 2011
Technically, this is only 1/3rd of the World of Warcraft. And that's if you don't count Outlands. We still need Eastern Kingdoms and Northrend to complete all of Azeroth.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I only recognized... the Tauren capitol and what might be the Orgrimar back door. I looked at the big map version and I was like... that's not Kalimdor! Where's the Barrens??

Then I realized this is post Cataclysm... Heh. Guess it's been a while.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I read somewhere that (assiming one block in Minecraft is one meter) that the maximum size of Minecrafts game world is actually larger than Neptune, the plannet, in its X and Y dimensions.

So what people with too much time on thier hands need to do is cram every major RPG world into one Minecraft save.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I find it intriguing that I might experience the World of Warcraft without having to actually play World of Warcraft.

I'm not a fan of MMOs.

Mike Kayatta said:
This sort of drive really makes you wonder what the next major Minecraft undertaking will be. All of Daggerfall (reportedly twice the size of Great Britain), perhaps?
Recreating Daggerfall is easy. You start out with a completely FLAT landscape littered with trees and rocks. Then generate random cities where the little red dots are on the map. Also, a city wall around them. Done.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Redlin5 said:
If there is a fictional universe, a minecrafter will eventually make it.
I could have sworn that was already a rule. I wonder how long it will take for Skyrim or Westeros.
Westeros would be wonderful, but one would only be able to create a replica of a map of Westros. There just isn't enough detail in the books to create the entire continent. Not the George RR Martin hasn't tried. ;p

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
The only way I can justify not being able to create worlds like that is the fact that I have a degree to pass and a job to get paid for.

If I didn't have to do those, I'd have already created a 1:1 scale model of Ostagar from DA:O.

LoneGunmanO23

Jan 20, 2010
Cannot read article on main page due to black Darkness 2 background behind black text. I was able to find the comments button purely due to memory. Please fix this.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Some people have WAY too much fucking time on their hands. There comes a point when stuff like this stops being amazing and just wanders into "dude, get a girlfriend" territory.

Though this still is kind of awesome. I'm sure if I played or even like WoW I would find it even more awesome than I currently do.