Sackboy's Next Outing is LittleBigPlanet Karting

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Sackboy's Next Outing is LittleBigPlanet Karting

After days of speculation following a recent Destination PlayStation event, Sony has officially confirmed that a LittleBigPlanet racing game is on its way.

Sony has officially announced via Twitter that LittleBigPlanet Karting is currently in development for the PlayStation 3. Who's currently at work on the title and when we can expect it is still a mystery.

"We can confirm that LittleBigPlanet Karting is in fact in development and we look forward to sharing more on the game soon!" Sony wrote on the official PlayStation Twitter feed.

The announcement comes only few days after online retailer FutureShop tweeted that the game had been revealed during a "Destination PlayStation" event. FutureShop's details were as scant as Sony's announcement, though did mention that the game was shown alongside a new PlayStation Move steering wheel peripheral. Sony's official announcement seems to verify FutureShop's earlier story, and possibly lends credence to another fateful tweet from developer Ken Levine of BioShock Infinte fame, supposedly written during the same event: "Destination Playstation done. Got inappropriately touched by Sackboy."

It will be interesting to see what Karting has to offer, consider the LittleBigPlanet series was built on the idea that "anything's possible." Tightening the scope seems almost antithetical to that idea, creating a situation in which you can race in the original games, but can't do anything but race in this new sequel. Though, to be fair, with all of the focus on racing, the game will likely provide customization and depth that a hobbled-together homebrew LittleBigPlanet 2 Mario Kart clone would never be able to match. Regardless, while it's much, much too early to start earnestly speculating, I have a sneaking suspicion the final product my end up a lot like this. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M2m7JFylgA]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-10-sony-confirms-littlebigplanet-karting-development]

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Irridium said:
Wasn't Modnation Racers supposed to be essentially LittleBigPlanet Karting?
I wanted to post the exact same thing.

This is really weird. I know Modnation didn't sell as well as projected, but isn't this effectively the death for that series? Doesn't look promising for the PSV either, which was supposed to get its own Modnation.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Yes. I have both and ModNation IS LBP Karting, plus LBP2 could already make kart races... :S

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Irridium said:
Ninja'd.

I was going to say, I have LBP/2 and ModNation and I'm happy just to keep playing ModNation rather than get LBP Karting, too.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they can offer.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
As everyone has already pointed, along with EVERYONE ELSE, this is just ModNation Racers again, and one would imagine it would probably fare just as well =/

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
As everyone has already pointed, along with EVERYONE ELSE, this is just ModNation Racers again, and one would imagine it would probably fare just as well =/
I think that with it carrying the LBP name it might fare better

JehuBot

Jun 1, 2011
It's already been said, but there's already a LBP Kart racing game, it's called ModNation Racers. :/